Game 7—@Western Michigan

zipsoutsider

All time series has WMU with 14 wins Akron with 3 (one in 1938?). As most have heard 2007 was maybe the most exciting Akron football finish of all time as Andre Jones ran back a punt for a TD and a 1 point win (39-38) as time ran out in Kalamazoo. We also had several of our worst defeats by this team, especially the game coached by Ianello in 2011. Last year was very disappointing too. WMU is very good, but is Akron on the rise despite the loss of two of our best players? Maybe, as 33 (or more counting all) other starters on the O, D, and special teams appear to be getting better as the season rolls on. Let's hope it's a good game to watch and Akron has a shot at winning at the end. Go Zips!               

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

All time series has WMU with 14 wins Akron with 3 (one in 1938?). As most have heard 2007 was maybe the most exciting Akron football finish of all time as Andre Jones ran back a punt for a TD and a 1 point win (39-38) as time ran out in Kalamazoo.  Go Zips!               

Well, technically it was a free kick, following WMU taking a safety and hoping to hem the Zips in their own end as time ran out.  It didn't work (monumentally)! 

Here's the replay: 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:57 AM, ZippyRulz said:

I have Spectrum basic/standard...I'll be watching it on Gametracker :cry:

Just curious as to how much you would have to pay to upgrade.  Where I live the Spectrum (prev. TW) Cable has a sports package that includes like 20-30 stations for <$10. 

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

All time series has WMU with 14 wins Akron with 3 (one in 1938?). As most have heard 2007 was maybe the most exciting Akron football finish of all time as Andre Jones ran back a punt for a TD and a 1 point win (39-38) as time ran out in Kalamazoo. We also had several of our worst defeats by this team, especially the game coached by Ianello in 2011. Last year was very disappointing too. WMU is very good, but is Akron on the rise despite the loss of two of our best players? Maybe, as 33 (or more counting all) other starters on the O, D, and special teams appear to be getting better as the season rolls on. Let's hope it's a good game to watch and Akron has a shot at winning at the end. Go Zips!               

The 2011 shellacking by the Broncos has to be the absolute nadir in Zips history.  68-19 in a game that was not even remotely that close.  Luckily, I did not travel to KZoo that day, but I was in Infocision the year prior when Western railed us 56-10.  The Zips defense made Juan Nunez look like Jerry Rice.  Brian Wagner recovered a fumble for a touchdown that game or it would have been 63-3.  I have to confess, I saw the Wagner play on TV from Pints.  I had already gotten beyond disgusted and left.

I hate Western.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:59 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Just curious as to how much you would have to pay to upgrade.  Where I live the Spectrum (prev. TW) Cable has a sports package that includes like 20-30 stations for <$10. 

Yeah, I should check it out. I actually just dropped Spectrum as my ISP so I want to let the dust settle on that for a minute. The basic/standard is through a bulk contract with my homeowners association. I can always listen to Steve/Brad/Joe too.

Edited by ZippyRulz

Akron and Western Michigan face major tests. By Elton Alexander, The Plain Dealer

The Zips (3-3, 2-0) are both the surprise of the league and the biggest puzzle. They have lost to Penn State, Iowa State and Troy, with competitive efforts vs. ISU and Troy. And they have defeated three weak sisters -- Arkansas Pine Bluff, Bowling Green and Ball State. Traveling to WMU should tell if Akron, led by senior quarterback Tommy Woodson (1,124 yards passing, 8 TD), is a serious threat to become bowl eligible and contend for a division and overall 2017 MAC title.

The Zips (3-3, 2-0) are both the surprise of the league and the biggest puzzle. 

I don't see how were're the "surprise of the league?" We've beaten no noteworthy opponent. 3-3 is where just about anyone would have predicted us at this point.

I don't think we're a "puzzle" either. We-are-who-we-are...an essentially star-free team that, when we play mistake-free football can be competitive with anyone at our level. Our defense continues to improve, and will be near the top of the MAC (3rd...4th best...) when all is said and done.

Our offense needs to step it up. We need to start consistently scoring 30+ if we want to have a winning season. 

I'm not puzzled. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Well, technically it was a free kick, following WMU taking a safety and hoping to hem the Zips in their own end as time ran out.  It didn't work (monumentally)! 

Here's the replay: 

Last Year, the Western Fans at the game was Mortified of that play. I just hope that we are not in that position again.......

I have one easy-free way for you guys!

Okay, if you go to CBS Sports Network it gives you the option to put in your TV provider, one option is Hulu.  If you go to Hulu, you can sign up for a free-trial which includes a 7-day free trial of the TV service (that includes CBS sports network as one of the options). 

The terms and conditions say that you will be billed after the expiration of your 7-day free trial.  I recommend making an account, and canceling it shortly after.  You will still be given the 7-days for free.

9 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I have one easy-free way for you guys!

Okay, if you go to CBS Sports Network it gives you the option to put in your TV provider, one option is Hulu.  If you go to Hulu, you can sign up for a free-trial which includes a 7-day free trial of the TV service (that includes CBS sports network as one of the options). 

The terms and conditions say that you will be billed after the expiration of your 7-day free trial.  I recommend making an account, and canceling it shortly after.  You will still be given the 7-days for free.

Make sure you chose the Hulu TV option when signing up in order to get cbssn access. Regular Hulu subscription wont get you cbssn

• Like 1