2017 Race To Detroit

Balsy

47 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

Kent State beats Miami 17-14. I hate to see Kent win anything, but probably a good result for the Zips. Though they now have the same record, I believe Miami will be the stronger team through the rest of the year.

Is Miami struggling with injuries? They aren't playing like they were the 2nd half of last season.

4 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is Miami struggling with injuries? They aren't playing like they were the 2nd half of last season.

I haven't payed particularly close attention, but it seems to me like Miami is just exceptionally good at screwing up the 4th quarters of games this year. They have been really close and should have won multiple times this season only to lose in spectacular fashion. You have to wonder how long it will take for fans to turn on their coach. He is a great recruiter, but terrible in-game. 

As for Buffalo, their defense is quite possibly top of the MAC. After losing Anderson today though, they are now on their 3rd string QB. I thought they were done for when their starter (and star player) went down only for Anderson to come in and play better than his predecessor. The season will rely on one of those 2 getting healthy or Vantrease (a Freshman from Stow) will need to step up big for them.

6 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

As for Buffalo, their defense is quite possibly top of the MAC. After losing Anderson today though, they are now on their 3rd string QB. I thought they were done for when their starter (and star player) went down only for Anderson to come in and play better than his predecessor. The season will rely on one of those 2 getting healthy or Vantrease (a Freshman from Stow) will need to step up big for them.

Good info. I didn't watch the game, but based on what I have seen the back up is better than the starter, though both have a little different skill set. I watched about half of the WMU game and came away more impressed with Buffalo than I initially was. If we get to go against the true freshman I feel a lot better about that game, but that's still a few weeks out so who knows how it will play out.

After an absolutely Exciting Akron Win over Western Michigan, which almost NONE of us saw coming.  Here is where everyone stands.  The Zips are in complete control of their own destiny.  Akron and Ohio have the exact same schedule ahead of them, just mixed up.  This race between the two of them will come down to the Akron-Ohio matchup.  Unless, Akron can pull off an unexpected win, and Ohio loses an unexpected game.  Ohio didn't look very good against BGSU this week, so the East IMO, is there for the taking.  Go Zips.  Get it done.

East Division

3-0 Akron (4-3); Toledo, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Kent

2-1 Ohio (5-2); Kent, Miami, Toledo, Akron, Buffalo

1-2 Buffalo (3-4); Miami, Akron, BGSU, Ball St, Ohio

1-2 Kent (2-5); Ohio, BGSU, WMU, CMU, Akron

1-2 Miami (2-5); Buffalo, Ohio, Akron, EMU, Ball St.

1-2 BGSU (1-6); NIU, Kent, Buffalo, Toledo, EMU

West Division

2-0 Toledo (5-1); Akron, Ball St, NIU, Ohio, BGSU, WMU

2-0 N. Illinois (4-2); BGSU, EMU, Toledo, Ball St, WMU, CMU

2-1 W. Michigan (4-3);  EMU, CMU, Kent, NIU, Toledo

1-2 C. Michigan (3-3); Ball St, WMU, EMU, Kent, NIU

0-2 E. Michigan (2-3); WMU, NIU, Ball St, CMU, Miami, BGSU

0-2 Ball State (2-4);  Toledo, EMU, NIU, Buffalo, Miami

18 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

EMU loses by 1 to Army, as their 2-point conversion failed at game's end. 

Army didn't complete 1 pass the entire game. Rushed for 413 yards.

That is what Army does. They are a Meat Grinder....

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I can see us getting both the BG and OU monkeys off our back this season. OU will be tough no doubt, but they haven't impressed me their last 3 games now.

Toledo is the only stretch on the rest of the schedule. Buffalo and Ohio are toss ups. We should beat Kent and Miami 

Again'the Toledo game is going to be difficult. Have to win the East. That means must wins against OU(finally?) and UB(a must). Miami is swallowing hard right now w/o its starting QB.KS.U is KS.U. If you lose to the East teams its like losing 2 games in the standings because you lose the tiebreakers. If they can beat OU and UB, they win the tiebreaker against OU and eliminate UB. 7 wins  gets you the division . 5 wins means you have lost in the division and probably are out. 6 wins with one against OU(damn) and you probably get it.

Gonna see what Bowden and his crew are made of!!!

I want the Zips to win the East as much as anybody but my first goal is to see them get bowl eligible. After last year I am not just going to assume that will happen. I'll worry about them trying to get to Detroit after that elusive win number 6 is secured.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 7:28 PM, UAZippers said:

I haven't payed particularly close attention, but it seems to me like Miami is just exceptionally good at screwing up the 4th quarters of games this year. They have been really close and should have won multiple times this season only to lose in spectacular fashion. You have to wonder how long it will take for fans to turn on their coach. He is a great recruiter, but terrible in-game. 

Anybody know? Is Ragland out for the season? I couldn't find it on the Miami website.

On 10/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, Zipgrad01 said:

I hate Ohio. We better not lose to those pricks to blow the MAC east 

Somehow, over the past few years, we manage to hold OU to one of their worst performances, but still manage to lose by just a few points. We need to change the outcome this year and seal the deal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Somehow, over the past few years, we manage to hold OU to one of their worst performances, but still manage to lose by just a few points. We need to change the outcome this year and seal the deal.

Bowl or no bowl, this game decides whether TB gets extended or fired.

28 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'll guess it will be the state of the progrum, not one game, either way. I think the players will have more to do with the outcome of the Toledo game. If the Zips make it to Detroit for only the second time in school history, I wouldn't put too much money on anybody getting "fired." Even if we get beat being a 16 point underdog Saturday. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Really think so?  Even if we lose Saturday, but still win out, win the East and go to a bowl?  I think overall results at end of season will make/break him.