2017 Bowl Watch

Balsy

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I think I'd take a signature win over a larger program in our region as having a greater impact on our program than hoping that a Florida kid might see us make an appearance somewhere in their state.  

Plus, our fans need something big that we can participate in.  In 2005, we took a caravan of busses to Michigan.  And thousands of others went on their own.  It's been too long.  We need something like that, if we have the chance.  

I was just spitballing :D  I too really, really, REALLY want the bowl game in Detroit.

5 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I’m not sure ? how this stuff works but the talk is The AutoNation Cure Bowl in Orlando,  the MAC has no ties to it as it is an American / Sun Belt Bowl, i guess will know in a week

I noticed someone floating that a couple of weeks ago, but I think it's because the American won't be able to fill their spots or something.

ESPN "experts" have us in:

Dollar General Bowl

Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Alabama
Dec. 23, 7 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: Akron vs. Georgia State

and

Quick Lane Bowl

Ford Field, Detroit
Dec. 26, 6:15 p.m. (ESPN)

Hale: Duke vs. Akron

I like both games and the opponents. First, the games are tight on the calendar to Christmas, so the exposure for the progrum and UA should be excellent...lots of people off work and at home or traveling with teevees on in airports and bars and not much else to show. Second, the locations are ideal. Bowden has a big name in the south including AL and FL, and playing a bowl game there has the potential to garner the attention of recruits and their families. Obviously, Detroit is close and helps with alumni attendance and recruiting. Finally, both opponents are fair match-ups on paper. They are very winnable games, particularly if we want it more than they do. Duke is also a P5 program with household name recognition. I don't believe we've played either in the history of Akron Football, which provides additional interest for me, personally.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21568451/week-13-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 1

Being selfish, I would love Detroit because it's the only bowl I could make this year.  For the team, probably the experience would be better just about anywhere else.

On a different note, depending the outcome of the last couple make-up games out there, it looks like between 3 and 6 bowl-eligible teams will be left home.  I'm thankful we took care of business in our rivalry game because I would have to guess UA and Buffalo at 6-6 in the MAC East would be at/near the top of teams not being selected.  As it is, Buffalo is probably in a decent amount of danger to not receive a bid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I'm thankful we took care of business in our rivalry game because I would have to guess UA and Buffalo at 6-6 in the MAC East would be at/near the top of teams not being selected.  As it is, Buffalo is probably in a decent amount of danger to not receive a bid.

Well, knowing that we were the only team in the country to be Bowl Eligible and not receive a bid in 2004, I'd guess an Akron team with a 6-6 record right now would definitely be viewed as a part of "the bottom of the heap" if a few teams are going to be left out this year.   

57 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Being selfish, I would love Detroit because it's the only bowl I could make this year. 

The only one I can make, now that Bahamas is out, is the Gasparilla Bowl. It would be a perfect overnight trip for me with a Salvador Dali Museum visit on Friday. But like predicted above, I'll guess Dollar General. Would be fitting for @GP1

Gasparilla Bowl—Dec 21 at 8 pm—St Petersburg, FL at Tropicana Field

Dollar General Bowl—Dec 23 at 7 pm—Mobile, AL at Ladd-Peebles Stadium

Quick Lane Bowl—Dec 26 at 5:15 pm—Detroit, MI at Ford Field

22 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

On a different note, depending the outcome of the last couple make-up games out there, it looks like between 3 and 6 bowl-eligible teams will be left home. 

Not just make-up games.  The Sun Belt still has to play their last week of conference games this week.  There could be a couple of teams there that either gain/lose eligibility also.  And with bowl games out there with Sun Belt tie-ins, such as in Orlando and Mobile, they are certainly waiting for the results of the Arkansas State / Troy game, to see who wins the title.  

24 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Not just make-up games.  The Sun Belt still has to play their last week of conference games this week.  There could be a couple of teams there that either gain/lose eligibility also.  And with bowl games out there with Sun Belt tie-ins, such as in Orlando and Mobile, they are certainly waiting for the results of the Arkansas State / Troy game, to see who wins the title.  

Yeah, I flipped through the scoreboard real quick on ESPN, and best I can tell is there are 3 more teams that could win a 6th game this week.  Two are likely:  FSU and NMST.  One is unlikely:  ULL.  So the most will be 6 teams, but it will certainly postpone some bowl selection timelines.

So, I think I am just going to stop reading any Bowl Projections, because they just upset me. 

I looked at SB Nation a few minutes ago.

NIU vs. Arkansas State in Montgomery Alabama

Akron vs. Wyoming in Boise Idaho

Please tell me it can't be possible for us to go back to Boise (The place we went 2 years ago when we were only the 7th best team in the MAC).

Meanwhile, NIU....who didn't even win their division....could go to nice, warm Montgomery Alabama to play the probable champ of the Sunbelt?

36 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

So, I think I am just going to stop reading any Bowl Projections, because they just upset me. 

I looked at SB Nation a few minutes ago.

NIU vs. Arkansas State in Montgomery Alabama

Akron vs. Wyoming in Boise Idaho

Please tell me it can't be possible for us to go back to Boise (The place we went 2 years ago when we were only the 7th best team in the MAC).

Meanwhile, NIU....who didn't even win their division....could go to nice, warm Montgomery Alabama to play the probable champ of the Sunbelt?

I know this is not how many feel, but the Potato Bowl is better than the Camelia or Cure Bowl, IMHO. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I know this is not how many feel, but the Potato Bowl is better than the Camelia or Cure Bowl, IMHO. 

I'm sure that opinion can differ.  But, Idaho was still a bid we got when we were the 7th best team in the MAC, so it apparently wasn't very coveted.   

But regardless, I'm talking about being in Alabama vs. Idaho in December.   And I'd love the opportunity to beat the Sun Belt Champ, if we aren't going to draw a P5 school.  

Just venting.  I don't believe that NIU should get a better draw.  And if we aren't going to Detroit, please don't send us to Idaho again.  

1 minute ago, skip-zip said:

I'm sure that opinion can differ.  But, Idaho was still a bid we got when we were the 7th best team in the MAC, so it apparently wasn't very coveted.   

But regardless, I'm talking about being in Alabama vs. Idaho in December.   And I'd love the opportunity to beat the Sun Belt Champ, if we aren't going to draw a P5 school.  

Just venting.  I don't believe that NIU should get a better draw.  And if we aren't going to Detroit, please don't send us to Idaho again.  

Isn't the Dollar General Bowl a better bid, though, and still in Alabama?

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Do the schools usually lobby the bowl(s) they want to play in?

I don't believe so.  From what I understand, each Bowl must have "tie-in" contracts, meaning they will select teams from certain conferences first.  So long as that conference has an eligible team they must be selected.  But the Bowl still gets to make an offer, and the school must accept the offer.  So several bowls could ask the same team and then the team would make the choice as to which bowl they will play in.  The MAC's direct Tie-ins are:

Dollar General Bowl

Camellia Bowl

Idaho Potato Bowl

Bahamas Bowl (Ohio has this slot), Bahamas bowl likely made this offer early as to guarantee a certain team...and Ohio has a good record.

Secondary contracts exist in case a conference can't fill it's bowls, which are then filled by remaining bowl eligible teams from said conferences.  Secondary MAC tie-ins are:

Boca Rotan Bowl (if American or C-USA can't fill a slot)

Quick Lane Bowl (if either ACC or Big-10 Can't)

Frisco Bowl (if American can't fill their slot)

Now this doesn't mean teams can't receive offers from other Bowls, there is a pecking order.  If the Primary and secondary can't fill the spot they will be put out there for other teams to be offered.  But the Bowl still gets to make the offer.  So a team like Ohio, who's not going to be in the conference game, may only get one offer (hence why they went ahead and accepted it) while a conference Champion may get 2 or three.  WMU for example got an offer from Dollar General Bowl, but was given an invitation to the NY6 games as the G5 representative, thus Ohio University was then given the invitation.

Please someone correct me if I have misunderstood this.  :D

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

December 16th AutoNation Cure Bowl at Camping World Stadium in Orlando vs. Arkansas State is my guess

If we don't go to Detroit, I would take that in a second.  Great destination for fans, great weather, and a chance to knock off the best program in the Sun Belt over the last 5-10 years.  

Like I said...personal preferences for me is Florida or Detroit. If its in Boise again I doubt I would go just due to cost/inconvenience. I doubt the players care too much, they seemed to enjoy themselves the last time we were out there. But a game against the most overrated QB this decade (Josh Allen) would probably get us the most exposure out of any of the games! I would like the chance for our DBs to pick him off a few times and embarrass him.