Class of '22 Verbal Commits

7 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Thanks for the speculation. 

Go Zips!!!

Bigjim, this is new territory that not many people know about outside of the athletics departments themselves. If you’re not satisfied with my response, I suggest you contact Akron athletics or the NCAA directly for your answer. Unfortunately, you won’t receive a 100% positive answer here or on any other message board.

I used to be a high school AD so I was in the loop, but not anymore. Now I write for a sports media outlet. The information I just gave you is as close as you’ll find without contacting the departments I mentioned above.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Thanks for the speculation. 

Go Zips!!!

Your speculation is other people’s educated opinion. Be grateful they share it with you.

If you want 100% rock solid info, go down to the Stiles Center and ask the coach. This isn’t Ohio State . He’d be happy to speak with you.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Intriguing add here for what I'd assume is the class of 22. We'll find out for sure when the roster is updated. Had offers per his twitter from Akron (old staff), Toledo, WMU, Kent, Buffalo, Navy, and Army. Wonder what position we seem him at...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13159504/618013dd478cc60a40ebc96e

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Intriguing add here for what I'd assume is the class of 22. We'll find out for sure when the roster is updated. Had offers per his twitter from Akron (old staff), Toledo, WMU, Kent, Buffalo, Navy, and Army. Wonder what position we seem him at...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13159504/618013dd478cc60a40ebc96e

Is intriguing a synonym for puzzling? Toledo and Kent State both offered in October of 2020.

He sure looks quick in those tapes. Hate it when a guy is listed at 175 on one web site and 190 on another.

I updated Williams profile. Even though coach Fess recruited Williams, I am guessing Williams will be a defensive back. He is an explosive athlete and often played in the box as a nickel or safety on defense, so he certainly did not shy away from contact at the high school level. He is a playmaker with the ball in his hands, but is raw as a wide receiver.

There are only 3 highlights in his latest film of him throwing the ball as a QB and those passes do not demonstrate any reason why he would land at QB here. However, I have not seen him play live so maybe there is something I am missing? It could be that Williams falls into Fess’ recruiting territory and that is why Fess was the one who made the offer.

Regardless where he lands positionally, I like this offer. Williams is a playmaker no matter where he is slotted and sometimes it is just a matter of getting players like that on campus and finding where they fit best.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 8:46 PM, Zipmeister said:

Is intriguing a synonym for puzzling? Toledo and Kent State both offered in October of 2020.

He sure looks quick in those tapes. Hate it when a guy is listed at 175 on one web site and 190 on another.

AHA, so Toledo and Kent State offered him pretty early and the Zips got in pretty late. So much for the benefits of making an early offer. Given that QB seems to have the least amount of competition of any of our position groups for which he might qualify, I would not be surprised if we offered him as a QB. Can always switch him later if that would be mutually beneficial.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:46 AM, Zipmeister said:

AHA, so Toledo and Kent State offered him pretty early and the Zips got in pretty late. So much for the benefits of making an early offer. Given that QB seems to have the least amount of competition of any of our position groups for which he might qualify, I would not be surprised if we offered him as a QB. Can always switch him later if that would be mutually beneficial.

Considering the late game saw Akron bring in Joe Mo (which is consistent with the amount of movement in college athletics now), typical recruiting patterns no longer apply. Also, beating out Toledo and KSUcks bodes well for us.