Game 16- Miami

The Zips head off to Oxford Saturday to face the 7-5 Redhawks.  The Redhawks will not have played since December 29th due to Covid postponements of games against CMU and Bowling Green.

The Redhawks were voted to finish 7th in the MAC preseason poll, placing 6-1 junior Dae Dae Grant on the All-MAC second team.  Grant averages 16.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 4.3 apg.  5-8 senior guard Mekhi Lairy averages 14.8 ppg.  6-7 5th year forward Dalonte Brown leads rebounding at 7.3 rpg while scoring 11.8 ppg.  

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Game postponed due to COVID issues in……….

Akron’s program :(

This is a bummer.  OTOH, Groce sounded like the team was tapped out after Tuesday.  Hopefully, the healthy guys can keep practicing and give us a win against Muncie.

Does MAC have a point when teams will start forfeiting games because of this?

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

This is a bummer.  OTOH, Groce sounded like the team was tapped out after Tuesday.  Hopefully, the healthy guys can keep practicing and give us a win against Muncie.

Does MAC have a point when teams will start forfeiting games because of this?

There won't be forfeits. If games can't be made up there will be no contests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This on/off, players in/players out has to be a very tough environment in which to coach.  It has to be difficult to get in any rhythm.  The team should be settling into rotations and roles now but that has to be tough when you don't know who you're playing, who will be available or when and where you're playing.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

This on/off, players in/players out has to be a very tough environment in which to coach.  It has to be difficult to get in any rhythm.  The team should be settling into rotations and roles now but that has to be tough when you don't know who you're playing, who will be available or when and where you're playing.  

Agree.  I'm usually optimistic, but I think this season is teetering on the precipice of ending up like last year, with exhausted and frustrated players who are out of sync with each other.  I can't imagine they are full strength by Tuesday.  

41 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Agree.  I'm usually optimistic, but I think this season is teetering on the precipice of ending up like last year, with exhausted and frustrated players who are out of sync with each other.  I can't imagine they are full strength by Tuesday.  

I guess that's where we have to trust in Groce and hope every other team is having the same troubles.  Hopefully, this will run its course and they'll be back on the beam by the middle or end of February.