Position Preview (and updates) - Offensive Line

catdaddyp

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Owen Murphy into the Transfer Portal.

Not surprised by either of these. I don’t know if Murphy ever fully recovered from his injury, but if so, he was probably well behind the other OTs. I didn’t expect Beckman to see much action in 2023.

Looks like Beckman already picked up an offer from Bowling Green and Gray was offered by Jackson State. 

Edited by catdaddyp

• catdaddyp changed the title to Position Preview (and updates) - Offensive Line

How do you guys feel our OL is shaping up this year?

Who do you think to be our projected starters?

T - Nate Williams (6-6, 300, Jr.)

G - Tyler Williams (6-4, 320, R-Fr.)

C - Tony Georges (6-2, 295, Jr.)

G - Keylen Davis (6-4, 305, R.-Fr.)

T - Kamari Landers (6-5, 290, So.)

Kamari is written in sharpie. After that, Idk. This^^ is a young OL but with how underwhelming our OL played last season I'm really hoping both highly-touted Tyler Williams & Keylen Davis step in and make a difference. 🤞🤞

I think OL is the biggest concern on the team.  Dismissed several guys that received scholarships at larger programs, which is very confusing.

Hoping we add at least 2 or 3 legit offensive linemen in the portal before June.  Must protect DJ Irons and make some holes for Lorenzo Lingard.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

I think OL is the biggest concern on the team.  Dismissed several guys that received scholarships at larger programs, which is very confusing.

We're thinking that the players who transferred away actually got walk-on invites at those other schools, not scholarships.

12 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

I think OL is the biggest concern on the team. 

💯💯

11 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

Hoping we add at least 2 or 3 legit offensive linemen in the portal before June.  Must protect DJ Irons and make some holes for Lorenzo Lingard.  

Indeed. I want to get excited about Lingard and Anderson, but the OL play from last year has really curbed my enthusiasm.

Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

How do you guys feel our OL is shaping up this year?

Who do you think to be our projected starters?

T - Nate Williams (6-6, 300, Jr.)

G - Tyler Williams (6-4, 320, R-Fr.)

C - Tony Georges (6-2, 295, Jr.)

G - Keylen Davis (6-4, 305, R.-Fr.)

T - Kamari Landers (6-5, 290, So.)

Kamari is written in sharpie. After that, Idk. This^^ is a young OL but with how underwhelming our OL played last season I'm really hoping both highly-touted Tyler Williams & Keylen Davis step in and make a difference. 🤞🤞

My best guess is initially we will see something like this:

LT - Landers

LG - Robarge

C - Georges

RG - Kilbane

RT - N. Williams

That being said, I don’t think it will stay that way through the season. I remember looking down at the sideline last year during the CMU game and thinking “it’ll be another year before Davis, T. Williams, and Hale-Frater help us.” They just weren’t in D1 shape at that point. Fast forward a year and it’s pretty clear from @Captain Kangaroo’s photos that is no longer the case (for K. Davis and T.Williams at least). We need those guys to come along as they bring a level of athleticism that some of the veteran OL just don’t have. As much as JoeMo loves for his OL to pull, get to the second level, and be able to block out in space, the athleticism those guys bring will make a big difference.

100% agree Landers is locked in. The same can probably be said for N.Williams since he is considered the emotional leader of the OL. I suspect once T.Williams and K. Davis get their moment, they will be hard to keep off the field.

Im anxious to see for myself at the spring game. A year can make a big difference so maybe we come away feeling entirely different?

Switching gears to the spring game, I remember last year in the spring clips Curtis Fann looked the part as a DL. Couple that with his HS film and it stood to reason he was ready to do something. Fast forward to the spring game and he gave such poor effort. I doubt we see anything like that this year as JoeMo has done a lot of “pruning” to the roster. 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, catdaddyp said:

My best guess is initially we will see something like this:

LT - Landers

LG - Robarge

C - Georges

RG - Kilbane

RT - N. Williams

That being said, I don’t think it will stay that way through the season. I remember looking down at the sideline last year during the CMU game and thinking “it’ll be another year before Davis, T. Williams, and Hale-Frater help us.” They just weren’t in D1 shape at that point. Fast forward a year and it’s pretty clear from @Captain Kangaroo’s photos that is no longer the case (for K. Davis and T.Williams at least). We need those guys to come along as they bring a level of athleticism that some of the veteran OL just don’t have. As much as JoeMo loves for his OL to pull, get to the second level, and be able to block out in space, the athleticism those guys bring will make a big difference.

100% agree Landers is locked in. The same can probably be said for N.Williams since he is considered the emotional leader of the OL. I suspect once T.Williams and K. Davis get their moment, they will be hard to keep off the field.

Im anxious to see for myself at the spring game. A year can make a big difference so maybe we come away feeling entirely different?

Switching gears to the spring game, I remember last year in the spring clips Curtis Fann looked the part as a DL. Couple that with his HS film and it stood to reason he was ready to do something. Fast forward to the spring game and he gave such poor effort. I doubt we see anything like that this year as JoeMo has done a lot of “pruning” to the roster. 

Spring Game definitely changed my thinking as it looks like T. Williams and K. Davis are ready to roll. I can’t wait to see what the incoming players bring, but for now, I’m going with the line Undercuffler was basically playing behind in the SG.

LT - Landers (So.)

LG - Kilbane (R. So.)

C - T. Williams (R. Fr.)

RG - K. Davis (R. Fr.)

RT - N. Williams (Jr.)

Chambers can more than hold his own at either tackle spot and I imagine incoming transfer Ben Hobert is expecting to compete for meaningful snaps in his final year of eligibility. Chances are we bring in at least one more IOL with the ability to push for a starting spot. If I recall correctly, Hale-Frater was playing one of the guard spots in the SG and did some good things. Toss in Robarge, George, and Lyons for depth and I’m excited about where this line is headed. If James develops near the pace of Landers from last year, how do we keep him off the field? HS film definitely did not tell the full story on James. Keep doing your thing coach JRod.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, catdaddyp said:

Chances are we bring in at least one more IOL with the ability to push for a starting spot.

With the signing of USF transfer OL Joshua Blanchard it looks like Ball Coach JoeMo & Coach J-Rod got their IOL 💪

What do you guys think about this hypothetical starting OL?

LT - Kamari Landers

LG - Joshua Blanchard

C - Tyhler Williams

RG - Keylen Davis

RT - Keon Kindred

Hey MAC, how do you like them apples?!?! 👀👀

resize.jpeg

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

With the signing of USF transfer OL Joshua Blanchard it looks like Ball Coach JoeMo & Coach J-Rod got their IOL 💪

What do you guys think about this hypothetical starting OL?

LT - Kamari Landers

LG - Joshua Blanchard

C - Tyhler Williams

RG - Keylen Davis

RT - Keon Kindred

Hey MAC, how do you like them apples?!?! 👀👀

resize.jpeg

I feel like that pic should be labeled “F around and find out.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s full game film on transfer Ben Frank. He’s #63 on the orange team and plays LT. Very athletic and great feet. Could easily add another 10-15 pounds as he almost looks like a TE with his frame (even though he’s listed as 6’5” 300lbs.)

Frank gets better as the game progresses and exhibits a nasty streak. Even gets a personal foul penalty for blasting a defender late on a run play 10 yards downfield. Might take him some time to adjust to the speed at this level, but could definitely envision Frank competing for LT as the season wears on.

• Like 2