2024 Outstanding Offers

On 10/4/2023 at 1:19 PM, Ham said:

Ouch!  If you invite a recriut, you better be ready with your A-game.  

Not surprised by this. I always feel kind of embarrased when I see recruits at the stadium. Many of them likely play in front of a more lively HS crowd than a Zips crowd. I'm not happy to say that, just being honest. I wish it was different. I truly do. And I dont know if it ever will be. 

Dwight Smith…Jason Taylor…Charlie Frye…Dominik Hixon…Luke Getsy…Ulysses Gilbert…etc. all came to UA under the same circumstances and things worked out well for them. It is a great fit for the right student athlete.

We need program builders. We need guys who were getting a raw deal at their former school, or who were under recruited out of HS and have something to prove.

We need local kids who want to play for a coach like Joe Morehead, but who don’t want to travel to the likes of Oregon, Happy Valley or Mississippi to do it.

Examples of programs who’ve been where Akron’s at now and turned it around are endless. Joe will turn the Zips into winners, and respectable crowds will follow. If you want to walk into a situation where the crowds already exist and you win week in week out, the Akron program isn’t there. You’re better off elsewhere. If you want a great shot at early playing time, great facilities, great coaching, and want to help build something, UA offers that opportunity. 

• Like 6

I'm not sure any list of other programs who’ve been where Akron is now and then turned it around is going to make me feel better about where the Zips are now or the possibility that improvement will occur,  But since the list is endless let's give it a shot. Can you provide me with your top 50 examples? I'm thinking that to qualify for "where Akron is now" the teams on your list should have experienced at least a decade of utter futility. 

40 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Can you provide me with your top 50 examples? I'm thinking that to qualify for "where Akron is now" the teams on your list should have experienced at least a decade of utter futility. 

I'll help.  U of Iowa had 2 .500 seasons from 1961 through 1980.  Thay's 20 long years without a winning season.

41 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'll help.  U of Iowa had 2 .500 seasons from 1961 through 1980.  Thay's 20 long years without a winning season.

Wisconsin, Ohio, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Northwestern, Wake Forrest, Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State, Eastern Michigan, Duke, Kent State…all are teams with prolific droughts, spanning several years, that began winning.

I’d list more, but I can’t justify the typing for someone who thinks Morgan State is in the SEC. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Wisconsin, Ohio, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Northwestern, Wake Forrest, Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State, Eastern Michigan, Duke, Kent State…all are teams with prolific droughts, spanning several years, that began winning.

I’d list more, but I can’t justify the typing for someone who thinks Morgan State is in the SEC. 

Even though your list is woefully short of "endless" it does include several example of programs that made a dramatic turn around. But, I was correct; your list doesn't make me feel any better about where the Zips are now or their chances of joining your list. I think you could put both Miami (OH) and Kent State on your list twice. I'm not going to belabor how badly your comment about me thinking Morgan State was a member of the SEC cut like a knife to my heart.

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 10:44 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Dwight Smith…Jason Taylor…Charlie Frye…Dominik Hixon…Luke Getsy…Ulysses Gilbert…etc. all came to UA under the same circumstances and things worked out well for them. It is a great fit for the right student athlete.

We need program builders. We need guys who were getting a raw deal at their former school, or who were under recruited out of HS and have something to prove.

We need local kids who want to play for a coach like Joe Morehead, but who don’t want to travel to the likes of Oregon, Happy Valley or Mississippi to do it.

Examples of programs who’ve been where Akron’s at now and turned it around are endless. Joe will turn the Zips into winners, and respectable crowds will follow. If you want to walk into a situation where the crowds already exist and you win week in week out, the Akron program isn’t there. You’re better off elsewhere. If you want a great shot at early playing time, great facilities, great coaching, and want to help build something, UA offers that opportunity. 

With this new era of the transfer portal who knows what can happen. If you get a local guy who was a high recruit but didn’t work out at a big school he could come in and make a huge difference especially if they are at an impact position. All it could take is that one guy to come in and help turn things around for a season, which could lead to something positive in the future. 

I know it may sound far fetched but with the way kids move schools these days whose to say we don’t get lucky?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 8:44 PM, GoZips86 said:

Not surprised by this. I always feel kind of embarrased when I see recruits at the stadium. Many of them likely play in front of a more lively HS crowd than a Zips crowd. I'm not happy to say that, just being honest. I wish it was different. I truly do. And I dont know if it ever will be. 

The question to me is, how does a team build a fan base? The first instinct is to say winning builds a fan base. I can't deny it's a good start, but losing teams can build fan bases and when the team begins to win, a generation of dedicated fans can exist. 

The Pittsburgh Penguins went through some really bad years after Mario and before Crosby. They were losing and playing in easily the worst arena in the NHL. Ticket sales were terrible and there were rumblings of them leaving the city. To generate attendance, they had college ID nights. The old arena has two balconies that were basically unused at both ends. If a college student showed their ID, that kid could buy something like a five dollar ticket general admission for the balcony. There were long lines to take advantage of the offer. The Pens got good, built a new arena and started winning. Now, they have a couple of generations of dedicated hockey fans that sell out games regularly. They aren't even particularly good now. The college ID nights don't exist because they aren't needed. 

Akron just needs to get people in the stadium. Get people on campus using any means possible and let them have access to the games by sitting in general admission. I don't care if it's free. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...