2023 Women's Soccer

@zippy-claws I acknowledge you didn't outright call for our ZipsWSoc coach to be fired. I was picking up on your seeming lack of patience and an assumed want of a change.

"I just do not see a coach with only DIII experience knowing how to recruit for a DI program at this point, and no one seems to want to help her succeed." ... doesn't seem very supportive to me. I'm not at all connected in our Athletics Department as I admit I 'm not a fan of our current AD and the minions he has hired and avoid them for the most part. Who would you expect to help our coach recruit other than her assistant coaches? Unfortunately good $$$ after bad are wasted trying to improve a Zips gridiron program that seems destined to always be bottom 10. The dismal record of Akron WSoc also has to make it difficult for anyone to recruit effectively. They have no history on which to sell the program. Any coach is going to require significant time to establish some type of credibility.

After 7 straight league losses, a 0-0 tie...is probably progress.

Looking at the stats, Akron women led 17-9 in shots and 6-2 in shots on goal.

Next game is at Eastern Michigan.  EMU is 1-5-2 in the league and 1-9-6 overall.

Would be great if the lady zips could get a win on the road.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TennZip said:

After 7 straight league losses, a 0-0 tie...is probably progress.

Looking at the stats, Akron women led 17-9 in shots and 6-2 in shots on goal.

Next game is at Eastern Michigan.  EMU is 1-5-2 in the league and 1-9-6 overall.

Would be great if the lady zips could get a win on the road.

In their loss to Ball State, they had solid statistics as well, they outshot BSU by a gazillion, which tells me they've at least changed their game strategy and are playing very aggressively on offense, which is great.  It had to be a heartbreaker to give up the late gal last Thursday after they played so hard, at least it appeared on the livestream that they were the aggressors.

• Like 1

Very nice win for the women and coaches.  These past three matches have seemed to see a change in philosophy of play, with tons of shots and shots on goal, and some gutsy play, like they're playing to win rather than playing to not lose.  Hopefully a learning experience for the staff and the team.  Way to go Zips!

• Like 5

Well, the season is finally over, mercifully, and there's no reason to beat a dead horse.  The women's soccer team took a few steps forward the last third of the season, only to let it all go to waste in a horrible display of soccer at OU.  Maybe the losing and the end of the season finally took their toll.  I wish the seniors good luck in their future, and I wish the returning players a hard-working fruitful off-season that keeps them focused on coming back stronger and more ready for the rigors of D1 soccer.  And I wish Coach and her staff begin work after a few days of reflection on developing a program that is competitive, and finding the right pieces in the recruiting process to make Akron a non-bottom dweller in the MAC.  We need a legitimate goal scorer, we need speed up top.  We need a legitimate D1 goalkeeper.  We need to hang on to the likes of Ella Hadley, Emma King, Anna Simmons (especially Anna Simmons!), and Hannah Langstaff.  Can't lose any of them, In my opinion.  They will be the veteran core if this team is to rise in 2024 to respectability.  I'm a Zip fan, a women's sports fan, so I'll be back in the stands again in 2024, but it sure would be nice to go home after a match with a smile on my face.

• Like 3

I see little to inspire confidence in the women's program. Neither the coaching nor the recruiting is up to MAC standards. That is not a high bar to hit. The MAC is not considered a quality conference to send players to. The ECNL coaches do not steer their players there. The coaching especially bothers me. I don't buy into the excuse that the staff does not have their own players so losses are expected. If that is the case why coach? Coaching entails taking what you have and formulating a style and strategy that maximizes the existing players' ability. You put aside what you as a coach prefer until you have the essentials to make it happen. Meanwhile you maximize what you have. This doesn't guarantee wins, but it does build confidence in the players, and fans, that better times are ahead.  Unfortunately I see no confidence building in this program. Perhaps another year changes that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I see we have 4 international players on the roster. It seems the recruiting grounds could be quite vast in that regard.

If you get the right internationals.  2 are goalkeepers that haven't been in goal all season, except for 1 match and the other hasn't played in 2 seasons.  Katarina Bilz is graduating and Renauld is a so-so MId.  And how are you going to recruit internationally when your coaching staff has never done it?

51 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Neither the coaching nor the recruiting is up to MAC standards. That is not a high bar to hit. The MAC is not considered a quality conference to send players to.

Thank you @72 Roo for echoing my sentiments all season long.

51 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Coaching entails taking what you have and formulating a style and strategy that maximizes the existing players'

And once again, thank you for pointing this out.  Not trying to be negative about Coach Simonetti, but if she's THE coach, we should have seen it by now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I see little to inspire confidence in the women's program. Neither the coaching nor the recruiting is up to MAC standards. That is not a high bar to hit. The MAC is not considered a quality conference to send players to. The ECNL coaches do not steer their players there. The coaching especially bothers me. I don't buy into the excuse that the staff does not have their own players so losses are expected. If that is the case why coach? Coaching entails taking what you have and formulating a style and strategy that maximizes the existing players' ability. You put aside what you as a coach prefer until you have the essentials to make it happen. Meanwhile you maximize what you have. This doesn't guarantee wins, but it does build confidence in the players, and fans, that better times are ahead.  Unfortunately I see no confidence building in this program. Perhaps another year changes that.

@72Roo I'm curious as to how you feel the Zips Women's Soccer coaching situation differs from the Zips gridiron coaching situation? Applying your thoughts here, shouldn't JoMo should be doing better with the players he has? (Getting blown out by NIU and BGSU is not a good indication of good coaching.) JoMo certainly has significantly more help.

Edited by Zip_ME87

I don't like getting into arguments, philosophical or heated, with fellow posters on this board. But I will comment on your question. JM should be doing better with the players he has. I have specifically stated that in other posts noting he has raised the talent level and underperformed with it. But his situation deserves more introspection. Unlike the other coach in question he has won at the highest level in college sports, the SEC. He has also won at the FCS level. Also he has exceptional experience at the highest level... Penn St, Oregon, Miss St. So I expect him to use that experience and past performance to put a competitive product on the field. For that he is accountable. Turning around the worst football program in the country vs turning around a poor soccer program is not apples to apples in comparison. 11 top players change an entire team in soccer. 11 top players is a good start in football but it is not going to make a winning program. I think we can both agree Joe must to do better. 

Thanks for responding @72Roo. I understand your concern with Womens Soccer but I have to admit that I'm more concerned about an experienced and successful (elsewhere) D1 coach who seems to have had little effect in almost 2 seasons especially with as much support as has been provided than a potentially up and coming coach who is still finding her way. Best wishes to both for better results in 2024.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Drawer soccer is showing that Akron women's soccer has added a new commitment for 2025

If I go back to a post that I did on October 9th, it looks like the most recent commitment is Addison Hall, a midfielder from Connecticut FC

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/women/akron/clgid-128/tab-commitments#sectionblock

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

One would sincerely hope that someone from that squad would play for Zips next year.

What would entice them to go from a State Championship team to a continual bottom-feeder in the MAC?  Not trying to be a smart-aleck, just asking what could Akron offer any of their seniors in return for accepting a scholly here?  Facilites?  Maybe.  Coaching staff?  Hopefully (please Coach S, show me I'm wrong in 2024!) they could improve the squad together with the recruit.  League?  MAC women v. Big East, Big Ten, ACC - depends on their desire for the future.  I would love to see a state champ team member in the Blue and Gold, but why should we expect it?  Just asking...

3 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Congratulations to Walsh Lady Warriors who are yet again state champions.  One would sincerely hope that someone from that squad would play for Zips next year.

From what I can tell, the 2 best players on Walsh's teams this year are not seniors.  The first article is from a few years ago.  The 2nd link is an article from this morning's beacon...showing the all state teams for both boys and girls

Walsh Junior Hannah Pachan was selected as the best player in the state for division 1.   Ms. Pachan is a junior and she had 33 goals and 11 assists this year.

Walsh had one other player selected to the second team all state.  That player is also a junior.  Her name is Reagan Pentz.   Yes, that last name is familiar.  Reagan's older sister , Morgan played for both Walsh Jesuit and the Akron zips.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/soccer/2022/09/03/ohsaa-walsh-jesuit-girls-soccer-reagan-pentz-hannah-pachan-look-to-lead-warriors-back-to-state-final/65411144007/

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/soccer/2023/11/11/ohsaa-all-ohio-boys-and-girls-soccer-walsh-jesuits-hannah-pachan-reveres-dylan-halm-nick-depompei/71518167007/

• Like 1

Some players make their choice based on the school itself.  Others seek to maximize their chances at hardware.  Some are loyal to a team they have followed since childhood.  But most NCAA players come for the coach.  Period. 

It is time for Simonetti to engage in retail door to door recruiting.  Every quality player in NEO, and there are many, should know about opportunities with Akron Zips.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TennZip said:

From what I can tell, the 2 best players on Walsh's teams this year are not seniors.  The first article is from a few years ago.  The 2nd link is an article from this morning's beacon...showing the all state teams for both boys and girls

Walsh Junior Hannah Pachan was selected as the best player in the state for division 1.   Ms. Pachan is a junior and she had 33 goals and 11 assists this year.

Walsh had one other player selected to the second team all state.  That player is also a junior.  Her name is Reagan Pentz.   Yes, that last name is familiar.  Reagan's older sister , Morgan played for both Walsh Jesuit and the Akron zips.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/soccer/2022/09/03/ohsaa-walsh-jesuit-girls-soccer-reagan-pentz-hannah-pachan-look-to-lead-warriors-back-to-state-final/65411144007/

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/soccer/2023/11/11/ohsaa-all-ohio-boys-and-girls-soccer-walsh-jesuits-hannah-pachan-reveres-dylan-halm-nick-depompei/71518167007/

I didn't realize Hannah Pachan was only a junior.  Unfortunately she's already verbally committed to Virginia Tech.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I didn't realize Hannah Pachan was only a junior.  Unfortunately she's already verbally committed to Virginia Tech.

Thank you for the college choice update for Hannah Pachan.   Sounds like Virginia Tech will be getting a super player. 

Hannah is ranked 14th regionally by Top Drawer Soccer

not in their top 200 ranking

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/hannah-pachan/pid-150513

One of the best players in the area this year....did not play high school soccer.

Grace Jackson is ranked #57 overall in the class of 2024 by Top Drawer Soccer (TDS)....(yes, she is Will's younger sister)

Grace plays Academy soccer for Internationals SC   (run by the Nanchoff family)

Grace had originally committed to play college soccer for Purdue

Purdue fired their coach so Grace is now showing as going to Michigan State

Grace is a midfielder and is rated 4 stars out of 5

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/grace-jackson/pid-138745

Michigan State has done well in recruiting Ohio players

#62 in TDS is Julia Belli from Dublin, OH....has also committed to be a spartan

she plays academy ball for Ohio Premier

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/julia-belli/pid-1029063

in the class of 2024, Internationals SC has a player that is rated even higher than Grace Jackson

her name is Katie Scott

in the case of it's a small world...Katie is from Fairview, PA

she is the sister of Nick Scott, who played for Akron men in 2020 and 2021

Nick tranferred to Charlotte after his sophomore year.   He started 11 games for them in 2022.

this year, Nick played in 14 games for Charlotte and started 5 of them.

Charlotte beat SMU today to win the AAC.  Nick's Charlotte's team is 14 in RPI

Nick was a good player with the zips.  I was sorry to see him transfer

she is rated #31 by TDS and she has committed to Penn State

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/katie-scott/pid-133141

amazingly, the #1 ranked player in the class of 2025....also trains at International SC

the #1 player in the country has committed to play for Stanford

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/eleanor-klinger/pid-131610

also in the class of 2025....is another player from Internationals SC

she is ranked #37 in the country and has committed to play for Notre Dame

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/tessa-knapp/pid-140745

I was amazed at the caliber of young female players coming out of Internationals SC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2023/11/girls-soccer-all-stars-2023-meet-the-best-from-northeast-ohio.html

Ariana Vakos, Avon, Sr.

As expected, Vakos was a little bit of everything in her final season with the Eagles. As a goalkeeper, she tallied eight shutouts with 48 saves. As a field player, she contributed with nine goals and three assists. She earned first-team All-Ohio honors before heading to the University of Akron to continue her soccer career.

• Like 1

I watched the Crew playoff game at a microbrewery outside Columbus with a friend whose daughter plays for OP (Ohio Premier). OP is the best club side in central Ohio for women. They are one of five Ohio clubs that play in the ECNL (Elite Club National League). She said Jen has signed four girls off of this season's OP team. In her opinion they are better than the talent UA has signed in the past. She also said Vakos is the real deal and undoubtedly the best GK in Ohio. Jen could be on the cusp of turning this around.

• Like 3