2023 Rankings (fwiw)

Akron was 22 in the coaches pre season poll.

Vermont was 12 in the pre season poll.   Their drop to number 22 seems kind of harsh.  There are not 21 college soccer teams that are better than Vermont.  That is one very good college soccer team.

September 11 Zip opponent Florida International was number 21 in the preseason poll. FIU jumped up to 7 after a 2-1 win over Oregon State and a 4-0 win over VCU.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

Akron was 22 in the coaches pre season poll.

Vermont was 12 in the pre season poll.   Their drop to number 22 seems kind of harsh.  There are not 21 college soccer teams that are better than Vermont.  That is one very good college soccer team.

September 11 Zip opponent Florida International was number 21 in the preseason poll. FIU jumped up to 7 after a 2-1 win over Oregon State and a 4-0 win over VCU.

That does seem harsh for a 1-0 loss. I could see it if Vermont had been demolished something like 5-0. But then again that is life outside of the blue bloods. Somehow Marshall has stayed in the Top 15 since week 9 of the 2019 season. Thankfully only 2 of our losses since then have been to non ranked teams.

Marshall plays Xavier at home on Friday and then they travel to #8 Pitt next Tuesday which should be the game with the 2 highest ranked teams going at it this year. On opening day we had #8 Creighton vs #7 Stanford. Last year #11 Marshall 2 #2 Pitt 1 in Huntington.

Good Luck to Akron on the week ahead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigGreenTruck said:

That does seem harsh for a 1-0 loss. I could see it if Vermont had been demolished something like 5-0. But then again that is life outside of the blue bloods. Somehow Marshall has stayed in the Top 15 since week 9 of the 2019 season. Thankfully only 2 of our losses since then have been to non ranked teams.

Marshall plays Xavier at home on Friday and then they travel to #8 Pitt next Tuesday which should be the game with the 2 highest ranked teams going at it this year. On opening day we had #8 Creighton vs #7 Stanford. Last year #11 Marshall 2 #2 Pitt 1 in Huntington.

Good Luck to Akron on the week ahead.

Speaking of Stanford, they have had quite the start to the season. 

• Like 1

Sept 4th 2023 Top Drawer Soccer Top 25

#16 Akron

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

Sept 3rd 2023 College Soccer News Top 30

#9 Akron

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-soccer-news-mens-top-30-national-poll-week-ending-september-3-2023/

The United Soccer Coaches Poll will be out tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigGreenTruck said:

Sept 4th 2023 Top Drawer Soccer Top 25

#16 Akron

Sept 3rd 2023 College Soccer News Top 30

#9 Akron

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-soccer-news-mens-top-30-national-poll-week-ending-september-3-2023/

The United Soccer Coaches Poll will be out tomorrow.

Top drawer soccer has Vermont at #10 and Akron at #16

Hello ????  anyone home at Top Drawer soccer  ?????

• Haha 2

zips are #29 in RPI (as of Saturday morning)

opponents on zips schedule

Niagara                   167

Vermont                      2

Michigan                 111

SIU                           190

LIU                            126

FIU                              39

Providence                 42

Notre Dame                77

St. John's                    85

Seton Hall                   82

N. KY                          205

DePaul                         83

Clev State                  125

Xavier                            57

Creighton                      41

Marquette                      50                    Marquette is 5-0-0...their SOS is 197

Butler                           187

Sept 11 Top Drawer Soccer Top 25

#5 Akron

Sept 10 College Soccer News Top 30

#5 Akron

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-soccer-news-mens-top-30-poll-week-ending-september-10-2023/

Both have Akron at #5. Will be interesting to see if Akron goes up a spot or even jumps Syracuse to 3 after the brutal #3 Portland loss to WVU when they were 5 seconds from a tie. That's right WVU scored at the 89:55 mark.

• Like 2

zips are #19 in this morning's RPI  (Tuesday Sept. 12)

Marquette with a 6-0-0 record...is the highest rated Big east team at 16

RPI for next 4 opponents

Providence with a 2-3-0 record is at 73

Notre Dame with a 4-0-1 record  is at 36

St. Johns has a 4-1-1 record but they are at 122 in rpi

Seton Hall with a 3-1-1 record is at 103

https://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI Rank

• Thanks 4

47 minutes ago, TennZip said:

one coach ranked Akron as the #1 team in the nation.......

and Marshall and Stanford are putting up a great battle for the number 1 spot

Stanford with 195 points and Marshall with 194

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/

That coach must really hate Stanford and Marshall. 

56 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Not bad for the non relevant Zips!!!

As I put in the title of this thread ... fwiw ... for what it's worth. Polls are about as meaningful as participation trophies. RPI is more relevant. 

Honestly, I don't understand your "beef" with Zips Men's Soccer fans expectations being so high. I remember when our head coach would apologize to fans for "poor performance". I thought it was strange at first but then realized that he wanted our expectations to be that high. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

As I put in the title of this thread ... fwiw ... for what it's worth. Polls are about as meaningful as participation trophies. RPI is more relevant. 

Honestly, I don't understand your "beef" with Zips Men's Soccer fans expectations being so high. I remember when our head coach would apologize to fans for "poor performance". I thought it was strange at first but then realized that he wanted our expectations to be that high. 

NCAA polls are meaningful. They make the decisions. 

RPI on the other hand is a made up gimmick to suggest who's in and who's out - that is never ever followed. We will see another 8 ACC teams in the national tournament no matter what RPI they have. Same as always. 

Whilst the zips sit 3rd in the NCAA poll, that is relevant. 

As for my "beef" with expectations - you've constructed that thought in your own head. If you "expected" Akron to have a better record than 5-0-1 at this point, then that's what you think. Some of us are realists. 

I don't understand your "beef" with the current staff in comparison to your love for former staff. The same apologetic coach was not near as adored as you are believed he was. 

Edited by YipaZip

The expectations being discussed are not about 6 games and where we stand this season. Go back and look at the discussion. It's about the portfolio of work since 2018. Expecting to win an NCAA tournament match over the past several seasons is not asking too much of a program, including current coaching staff, that has high expectations. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

The expectations being discussed are not about 6 games and where we stand this season. Go back and look at the discussion. It's about the portfolio of work since 2018. Expecting to win an NCAA tournament match over the past several seasons is not asking too much of a program, including current coaching staff, that has high expectations. 

Wake up. The name of the thread is 2023 Rankings 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

14 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Wake up. The name of the thread is 2023 Rankings 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Whatever...I brought the discussion from the off track Womens Soccer thread here where it's at least in a Men's Soccer discussion. LOL

• Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 5:33 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Whatever...I brought the discussion from the off track Womens Soccer thread here where it's at least in a Men's Soccer discussion. LOL

It was in the women's thread because I dared ask the question, can the women's team learn from the mens team, then it got highjacked by others to tear into the current men's staff, so don't act as if someone else caused it to be in that thread....