2023-24 MAC & CBB Season

Let'sGoZips94

4 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

KENPOM this evening is interesting today ...

https://kenpom.com/

No. 78 Duquesne  .. 81 Akron ... 85 James Madison ... 108 Ohio ... 113 Toledo .. 114 Kent ... 115 Fresno ... 135 South Dakota State ... 150 Cleveland State ... 159 Southern Mississippi.

Observation: Losing at home (Kent/South Dakota State) is a bummer while winning on the road (Akron/JMU) is a plus ... BUT .. doesn't explain JMU (2 quality road wins) below Akron and Duquesne (only home wins) ahead of Akron ... or Ohio over 40 spots ahead of CSU after head to head road loss.

As I said ... INTERESTING

These rankings are heavily weighted by preseason projections since the sample size is very small. I think it's not until early January that the rankings reflect solely current season results and the preseason projections get completely disregarded from the formula.

I wouldn't pay much attention to this until we're further along in the season and all teams have more data points. Early season rankings are always extremely goofy and irrational.

Edited by kreed5120

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

CSU ... WAS A SCRIMMAGE!  do you know the difference between a scrimmage and a real game?  

But CSU wanted it more for most of the game. Isn't that what matters most? And you have to be happy for Kent. They beat a middling Mountain West team at home on a Saturday night. I have a feeling the Bulldogs wanted that one pretty badly, but I guess the Flashes wanted it more in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

St bonaventure, a future zip opponent and the oldest team in college basketball just got a big P6 win against Oklahoma state. That game looks a lot tougher now. We need a good crowd to go to Cleveland hopefully the Ohio state fans help

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1725327599272968504?t=kut3puDIyuNgg-5C2olI9A&s=19

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csims0917 said:

I haven’t looked too much into it but Kent states tournament looks fairly easy compared to ours 

Actually (using Kenpom) the tournaments are pretty comparable. Both teams have relatively easy openers, potential second round matchups are pretty close as well. However, if Zips advance to title game, their potential matchup (Drake 75) is distinctly higher than any team Kent might play in the finals. Overall, Akron (84) and Drake are higher than every team in the Kent tournament. Based on Kenpom, both teams should be favored into the finals.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

James Madison wins with a 7000 person crowd. If the zips draw them it’s going to be bumping for sure. I’d love them to stay ranked but I doubt with how weak there schedule will be compared to the P6

Definitely a good road draw if it happens ... JMU is undefeated, but every game has been decided down the stretch. Will be interesting to see how they hold up in league play, where the opposition knows them better and scouts them better. Also keep an eye on their bench, so far not overly productive.

5 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Crazy. BG is legit. 

I thought so, too .... and still holding out hope. Guessing there's some tough love going on w/the new coach and relatively young team. We'll see what it looks like by Christmas. But not looking great now.

On the other hand ... Northern Illinois is looking like a team to watch going forward.

2 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

Kent state will fall to Missouri State 56-52. 52???? I’ve only been watching college basketball seriously since I started college in 2021 but I’ve never seen Kent held to 52

You’ve seen them held to 55, what’s the difference?? A perfect cap to a great day to be a Zip. 

1 hour ago, csims0917 said:

Kent state will fall to Missouri State 56-52. 52???? I’ve only been watching college basketball seriously since I started college in 2021 but I’ve never seen Kent held to 52

PCCC scored 58 in their 2008 NCAA Tournament game. You're probably saying, "That's more than 52. Why are you bringing this up?"

They had 10 points in the first half.

If you ever think the bar is too low for Kent, it's not. My signature is about as accurate as it gets - Failure resides 15.2 miles northeast of Akron. 

10 hours ago, csims0917 said:

We'll have to study that film & see what Missouri State was doing to them!  Did you watch the game?  Was it Missouri State... or did KSUcks just have an off night?