Akron to play Ohio State to open the 2024 season

LZIp

52 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Since 2018, the Zips have only played 6 home games in 2019 and 2021. The administration has determined the local fans do not matter, as the MAC has suggested with the midweek games. If you ever wonder why MAC fanbases are drying, this is a huge contributing factor. We get 2-3 Saturdays a year to tailgate and enjoy the true college football experience. 

Is it the chicken or the egg? Nobody shows up so why not go get some tv money and/or power 5 paydays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Since 2018, the Zips have only played 6 home games in 2019 and 2021. The administration has determined the local fans do not matter, as the MAC has suggested with the midweek games. If you ever wonder why MAC fanbases are drying, this is a huge contributing factor. We get 2-3 Saturdays a year to tailgate and enjoy the true college football experience. 

We are watching a long, painful suicide in the MAC. 

We were fed the crap over a decade now that football is the front porch of the university. Maybe it could be, but when you're playing on work nights, nobody is interested in leaving their house to go visiting neighbors. 

1 hour ago, Reslife4Life said:

I honestly like playing OSU, it at least gives us the opportunity to see Akron football on the biggest local stage we can. But playing 3 P5s on the road and 1 FCS school at home doesn't make me excited for next season. If Kentucky was never going to come here to play I would us much rather us play another G5 at home. Two years in a row with 5 home games, at least 2 of those are week night games. As a regular fan it just looks bad (right now), if the team goes 6-6 next year I won't complain

I've seen it before and it's not that interesting. 

Let's look at what conference leaders do:

Toledo 2024

Duquesne

Mississippi State

UMass

WKU

MIAMI 2024

Northwestern

Cincinnati 

Notre Dame

Umass

There is a good chance Toledo could be 3-1 ooc.  Maybe if things go right at MSU 4-0. 

If things go right for Miami, they also could be 3-1, but 2-2 is more likely. 

Toledo is a cash strapped state school like Akron. The difference is leadership. Theirs is better than ours as it relates to the football program. 

It's so disheartening what they did today. This athletic department is a sink hole of misery. Throw money at the school, but throwing it at the athletic department is a waste of money at this point. There are hundreds of scholarships that go out every year. Throw some money at those. At least you will feel appreciated when you do. The Athletic Department is just crapping all over you. 

When you are in a position of leadership, you are responsible for more than just your job whether or not you like it. You are responsible for the people and their families under you. The University showed today they have no regard for Joe M or the coaches who work for him. As soon as they can, all of these coaches need to go work for an institution that actually cares a little about them and their families. The administration purposely today put all of their livelihoods at risk. 

55 minutes ago, GP1 said:

When you are in a position of leadership, you are responsible for more than just your job whether or not you like it. You are responsible for the people and their families under you. The University showed today they have no regard for Joe M or the coaches who work for him. As soon as they can, all of these coaches need to go work for an institution that actually cares a little about them and their families. The administration purposely today put all of their livelihoods at risk. 

How do you know that JoeMo wasn’t behind this, or at least approve it?

19 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

How do you know that JoeMo wasn’t behind this, or at least approve it?

He said he didn’t like playing Tennessee, MSU, and Liberty last year. Can’t imagine he’s voluntarily swapping Kentucky for OSU on top of Rutgers and South Carolina on the schedule already.

I believe going to a 9 game MAC season would be good for Akron and the conference. Maybe I'm was wrong. Maybe all that would result in is 9 MAC games and 3 P5 loses. I don't think Akron or MAC schools could duplicate the sanity of the Sun Belt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GP1 said:

Toledo 2024

Duquesne

Mississippi State

UMass

WKU

MIAMI 2024

Northwestern

Cincinnati 

Notre Dame

Umass

There is a good chance Toledo could be 3-1 ooc.  Maybe if things go right at MSU 4-0. 

TBH, Miami’s schedule isn’t much different than ours. High chance they come out of that 1-3.

Guthrie is pretty clear that a coach should have a team in a bowl game by year 3. So now, if Moorhead does stick around, he has another guaranteed loss on the schedule and makes him that much easier to fire. In 15 weeks, Akron football has gone from a popular underdog turning it around to a complete dumpster fire, and it's only getting worse. 

• Like 1

Also I’ll add this- people are free to spend their money however they’d like as well as be annoyed by the move like i am, but pulling support for the program is going to hurt the coach who has to best chance to make it respectable.

I’d have to imagine this is a pure Guthrie move, so even though he hasn’t been perfect, my support for Joe Mo isn’t going to change while he’s there as pulling it only increases chances of this not working out, and if this doesn’t work out….

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MangoZip said:

Why is everyone so negative? Sure, they will lose, but it’s not like Akron is the only MAC team to load up with tough out of conference games. No doubt that big paydays can help a program struggling for cash. The biggest negative in my mind is that it seriously hurts their chance to gain bowl eligibility. 

Because Th at spot on the schedule was a home game against a Power Five opponent and now it is on the road, so one less home game for season ticket holders and it’s the marquee home game that was removed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LZIp said:

He said he didn’t like playing Tennessee, MSU, and Liberty last year. Can’t imagine he’s voluntarily swapping Kentucky for OSU on top of Rutgers and South Carolina on the schedule already.

I remember him talking about the schedule last year too. To be fair he said he understood playing so called “Power Five” schools but his problem was playing Tennessee and MSU who were both ranked in the top 20. I think the Rutgers and South Carolina games are the type he doesn’t mind, especially Rutgers... but I do agree I think he would wholeheartedly rather play Kentucky in Infocision than go to Columbus

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Also I’ll add this- people are free to spend their money however they’d like as well as be annoyed by the move like i am, but pulling support for the program is going to hurt the coach who has to best chance to make it respectable.

I’d have to imagine this is a pure Guthrie move, so even though he hasn’t been perfect, my support for Joe Mo isn’t going to change while he’s there as pulling it only increases chances of this not working out, and if this doesn’t work out….

Joe will be fine without whatever is left of the season ticket base. His real problem is the administration. 

Earlier post regarding UA/Kentucky @ Akron

Kentucky will probably generate $5 million by bringing in a cupcake to pound at home. Paying the Zips $500,000 (?) NOT to play in Akron is deemed as a win-win by the powers that be at both UK and cash-strapped Akron. As a fan I don't like it, but my vote doesn't count.

On a positive note, I discovered the new Akron Zips Football Booster Club.  

Might be a good way for some of Zips Nation to have a bigger voice.  Sounds like they are attempting to improve the tailgating, help with NIL's and other important issues.

https://www.zipsfootballboosters.com/?fbclid=IwAR247ICw81iCZrtZvc5Ng8GhWh1kTWD8iFa-pX70rjl0qWtNzS2e_wGsuac

What is the Akron Zips Football Booster Club (the “Club”)?

Formed on July 1, 2023, the Club is a non-profit, §501(c)(7) social club that endeavors to enhance academics and athletics of the football program at The University of Akron (the “Program”) and provide for networking opportunities for our members.  Your membership fee and your participation in the sponsored events allow us to support the Program at the discretion of the Director of Athletics.

image.png.1f5b5393a26d9e19ac1904fc88fa09de.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GP1 said:

Toledo 2024

Duquesne

Mississippi State

UMass

WKU

MIAMI 2024

Northwestern

Cincinnati 

Notre Dame

Umass

Toledo is a cash strapped state school like Akron. The difference is leadership. Theirs is better than ours as it relates to the football program. 

It's so disheartening what they did today. This athletic department is a sink hole of misery. Throw money at the school, but throwing it at the athletic department is a waste of money at this point. There are hundreds of scholarships that go out every year. Throw some money at those. At least you will feel appreciated when you do. The Athletic Department is just crapping all over you. 

I have always wondered why a team like Toledo hasn't moved to a better conference. That program is consistently the best football program in the MAC. They could compete in a higher level conference once they got established. 

Personally, I hate the 'sacrifice' games for all the reasons people have already stated. Playing on TV against an Ohio State only reaffirms what people think about the Akron program. Its not any good. Thats bad pub. If the Akron athletic department can't field a football program that can 

consistently be competetive even in the MAC on and off the field then its time to get out of the business. I am tired of watching Akron start 1-3 or 0-4 every damn season. They can't win enough games in the MAC to even become bowl eligible much less win the MAC. Gonna be interesting to see what happens in the off season with player movement and coaching changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Earlier post regarding UA/Kentucky @ Akron

Kentucky will probably generate $5 million by bringing in a cupcake to pound at home. Paying the Zips $500,000 (?) NOT to play in Akron is deemed as a win-win by the powers that be at both UK and cash-strapped Akron. As a fan I don't like it, but my vote doesn't count.

$1,000,000

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

I have always wondered why a team like Toledo hasn't moved to a better conference. That program is consistently the best football program in the MAC. 

You answered your own question.

History and traditions matter in college football. Toledo has a long tradition of winning in the MAC. They have a great rivalry with a good program 20 miles away. They are very close to MAC West teams so travel is inexpensive and fans can attend games. Their program benefits the players students alumni fans and general community around Toledo, and all of these groups know it and appreciate the program. That's what a state university should do. It's what Akron should be doing, but can't get out of it's own way. 

• Like 5