Game 24- James Madison

To me, it boils down to this.  Most games, you're going to get 35-40 points from Freeman and Ali. Tribble is going to pitch on 10 or more. After that, it's a huge drop-off.

Hunter has failed to hit double digits in 8 of the last 11 games. Dawson has failed to do the same in 10 of the last 12. Thornton's shooting has fallen off a cliff since the calendar flipped to the new year. Scott hasn't been great. Tavari has shown flashes of why we thought he could be special but has been too inconsistent.

Good teams will be happy to double Freeman and force anyone else to beat them. Someone or multiple someone's will have to step up. Getting Nate back would be huge, too.

Still the MAC favorite in a down year. Going to need some of our role players to grow to have any chance to do anything beyond that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

You're on the money. Until yesterday, my expectation for the Zips was to win the MAC, and I still believe that will happen. It was also to win an NCAA game. After what I saw yesterday, my expectation for the NCAA may be out of reach. JMU struck me as a team with the physicality and mentality to win an NCAA tournament game. 

Yesterday I watched Hunter Sallis (Gonzaga transfer) single handedly keep Wake Forest's NCAA hopes alive scoring 33 against NCST. Without him, they are on a one way track to the NIT. I didn't see a single Zip take charge of the game. Do they have a Wally Szczerbiak? I'm old enough to remember him going off for Miami and playing great in March Madness. The MAC has had other good examples with other teams. Akron has some solid players, but no Wally Szczerbiaks. We just don't have a guy with that type of killer instinct. 

If Wally was playing today there is little to no chance that he would have returned to Miami for his senior season. Someone like Kentucky, UNC, or Duke would have offered him low to mid 6 figures to transfer.

If you're a mid-major, you have to win with team basketball. In reality, Freeman is probably the closest thing we'll see to Wally in an Akron uniform for a long time.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If Wally was playing today there is little to no chance that he would have returned to Miami for his senior season. Someone like Kentucky, UNC, or Duke would have offered him low to mid 6 figures to transfer.

If you're a mid-major, you have to win with team basketball. In reality, Freeman is probably the closest thing we'll see to Wally in an Akron uniform for a long time.

CMU couldn't even hold on to a very average at best Boopie Miller.