Game 24- James Madison

The Zips head off to Harrisonburg, Virginia Saturday to face the James Madison Dukes in part two of the MAC-Sun Belt Challenge.  The Dukes are 20-3 heading into a game tonight against Arkansas State.  Their three losses have all been in conference play, two to App. State and one to Southern Miss.  As to common opponents, they lost to Southern Miss as mentioned and to Brimfield Tech in double OT in round one of the Challenge and beat Buffalo handily in late November.  They are currently tied for third in the Sun Belt.

This year's version of the Dukes reached 20 wins at the earliest date (Feb.2) in program history.  6'6" redshirt junior guard/forward Terrence Edwards, Jr. leads Dukes scoring at 16.8 ppg.  6'9" graduate forward TJ Bickerstaff is their second leading scorer at 13.9 ppg while leading rebounding at 8.9 rpg. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

As to common opponents, they lost to Southern Miss as mentioned and to Brimfield Tech in double OT in round one of the Challenge and beat Buffalo handily in late November.  They are currently tied for third in the Sun Belt.

They beat Portage County Community College in double OT. It might have been the biggest choke job in PCCC history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

JMU squeaked by Arkansas State last night, 77-73.  They were up 13 at half but Arkansas State rallied to make it close.  Noah Friedl, a 6'4" senior guard led scoring and rebounding at 19 and 10. 

Maybe it was a trap game for them?

• Like 1

JMU recent starters:

Friedl- 6'4"- guard- 12.6 ppg/5.5 rpg/2 apg

Edwards- 6'6"-  G/F- 16.7 ppg/4.6 rpg/3/1 apg

Wooden- 6'8"-  F- 10.2 ppg/3.1 rpg

Bickerstaff- 6'9"-  F- 13.6 ppg/8.8 rpg

Brown- 6'2"-  guard- 6 ppg/2.1 rpg

Other major contributors:

6th man, occasional starter- Horton- 6'6" junior G/F- 7.1 ppg/4.4 rpg

6'1" senior guard Green appears to have started quite a bit but seems to have fallen out of the starting order and averages 7.3 points and 3.5 apg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

do you think this is game is enough to bring us to a 12 or 11 seed?

currently we are a 13 playing Baylor. I know it changes every week. but I would love to get into the 12 seed line. 12 seeds always win vs 5 seeds 

An 11 seed would mean we'd be seeded better than at least 2 at-large teams. That isn't attainable whatsoever.

A 12 is possible, but that would require multiple teams, like Samford, to lose their conference tournament. I use Samford as an example because they have a better resume than Akron. That said, if they lose their conference tournament and another team in that conference wins the AQ, Akron would be seeded ahead of them. The same is true of McNeese in the Southland conference.

It's a common misconception that the top 68 teams make the field. It's really more like the top ~48 with 20 random conference AQ add-ins. The way to get a 12 seen is be one of the top teams among those 20 1 bid AQ. In Akron's case since their resume isn't strong, they will need teams placed ahead of them to lose in their conference tournament.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

An 11 seed would mean we'd be seeded better than at least 2 at-large teams. That isn't attainable whatsoever.

A 12 is possible, but that would require multiple teams, like Samford, to lose their conference tournament. I use Samford as an example because they have a better resume than Akron. That said, if they lose their conference tournament and another team in that conference wins the AQ, Akron would be seeded ahead of them. The same is true of McNeese in the Southland conference.

It's a common misconception that the top 68 teams make the field. It's really more like the top ~48 with 20 random conference AQ add-ins. The way to get a 12 seen is be one of the top teams among those 20 1 bid AQ. In Akron's case since their resume isn't strong, they will need teams placed ahead of them to lose in their conference tournament.

💯

Another win isn't going to have much of an effect on our seeding.  It's much more about the other AQs that make the tournament.  If we get there and want to be a 12 seed, hope for upsets in the conference tournaments.

Say we win out. Unlikely I know, we'd have somewhat of an at large resume. But we of course wouldn't be an at large. I think 12 is possible and maybe 11 if we shock the world, but probably 13 if we win the MAC tourney and lose another one or two. Just win baby

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The Kent fan that needed to copy Clarke’s PCCC cracks me up. Nothing worse than an unimaginative wannabe copycat.  

Often imitated, never duplicated....LOL.

I'll sue when somebody steals Mr. Pinky or uses a derivative!

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I really, really hate to get involved in seeding discussion at this point in the season. But I will add, the 2022 Zips had a pretty weak resume, even by MAC standards, and due to shifts in conference tournament week, they got all the way up to a 13 seed. NET doesn’t equal RPI, but for what it’s worth, the 2009 Zips, also a 13-seed, were 20+ spots higher in the committee’s metrics of choice than the 2022 Zips. 

Doesn’t mean a thing without the Cleveland ring. 

Yes, I will also add the MAC is just as weak, if not weaker, than the conferences of the teams we're chasing. Winning out wouldn't allow us to leap anyone unless the teams ahead of us stumble down the stretch. Either way we don't control our own destiny to be a 12 seed. We would need help from others.