ZipsNation Basketball All-Star Team Poll: Center

ZipsNation Basketball All-Star Team Poll: Center  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Since 2002/2003 Who are the BEST Centers the Akron Zips have had? (Pick two)

• Garvin Clarke (2020-2023)
    • Deng Riak (2015-2020)
    • Isaiah Johnson (2013-2017)
    • Pat Forsythe (2011-2016)
    • Zeke Marshall (2009-2013)
    • Mike Bardo (2007-2011)
    • Rob Preston (2001-2006)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/24/2024 at 03:59 AM

43 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

We only needed him to play 10-15 minutes per game at the MAC Tournament to give Big Dog a breather. By game 3, BD was spent and it cost us the title.

I honestly almost didn't include him on the list ... but he had a significant amount of playtime for a backup C, when looking at the stats for C's from 2001-2024 ... 

12 minutes ago, ZipCat said:

I honestly almost didn't include him on the list ... but he had a significant amount of playtime for a backup C, when looking at the stats for C's from 2001-2024 ... 

If I recall correctly, he was actually the starter Big Dog's junior year and Big Dog was the 6th man.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good to see Big Dog getting so much love.  I think ppl forget how good Big Dog was; just wasn't built for 3 games in 3 days.

Mike Bardo: 0

Rob Preston: 0

Garvin Clarke: 1 😭😭

Yes, I still look back on those team and think what if. We actually had 3 bigs with P6 size. I haven't been following Akron as long as many of you, but between him and Kwan, that was the best Akron front court I can recall. We really could have used a Castaneda or LCJ. We had good guards, but nobody was elite.

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

We only needed him to play 10-15 minutes per game at the MAC Tournament to give Big Dog a breather. By game 3, BD was spent and it cost us the title.

You are correct.  Conditioning was not one of Big Dog's strengths.  KD strength was finding great big guys such as Big Dog and Zeke.  Groce strength was finding impact guards such as LCJ and X.  (And you know who from O U)  However, this year he did not develop or bring in an impact guard or an impact shooter and this team has struggled on offense even with what is arguably the best player and big man to wear an Akron Uniform.  (Not a Groce recruit).  I thought Tavari had the potential to be that player and in Cleveland the offense looked its best at times when he was on the floor but his small stature and inability to get through screens kept him off the floor in the Kent game. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, I still look back on those team and think what if. We actually had 3 bigs with P6 size. I haven't been following Akron as long as many of you, but between him and Kwan, that was the best Akron front court I can recall. We really could have used a Castaneda or LCJ. We had good guards, but nobody was elite.

I anticipate that the Guard polls are going to be a bloodbath...because there's been a lot of good guards over the past 20-years, so picking the top 2-4 is tough.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, kreed5120 said:

I assume that's supposed to be Freeman.

It was a ZipCat is too hopped up on The Zips winning and typed the wrong name. 🤣

Freeman is currently listed as a F, but has been previously listed as a PF and C. He will be on the PF list.