Game 7 - Temple Owls

Game mismanaged. 1 sub at the end of the first half. Really? WtF did you recruit those talented players sitting on the bench?

I feel awful for our players who worked so hard and deserved better than they got from the bench. 

coaches need to take a hard look at themselves and how they manage games. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When is the "TOS to Akron Soccer" thread going to start and who is going to start it?

I am so depressed right now about the quality of Akron soccer......I do not understand your comment.

What is TOS?

I am old....and don't understand acronyms.   What are you trying to say?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TennZip said:

I am so depressed right now about the quality of Akron soccer......I do not understand your comment.

What is TOS?

I am old....and don't understand acronyms.   What are you trying to say?

Ohio's message board started this trend a while back when there is a coaching change. TOS stands for Tim O'Shea, one of OU's former basketball coaches. 

Essentially, I'm asking when Embick will be relieved of his duties so we can find a coach who will help us rediscover our excellence. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Ohio's message board started this trend a while back when there is a coaching change. TOS stands for Tim O'Shea, one of OU's former basketball coaches. 

Essentially, I'm asking when Embick will be relieved of his duties so we can find a coach who will help us rediscover our excellence. 

Thank you for explaining your post.

If you go to the Akron zips facebook page, the comments after the IU-Indy game were very outspoken about the need for a coaching change.  Former Akron Zip soccer All American Matt English Commented "Seems we should start scouting for a new coach."

The comments after this game on facebook...are more of the same.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 4:35 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

You need to be very careful with what you are asking for.  MSOC does not get the support from AD that they once enjoyed.  And the Akron brand has been severely degraded.  Which quality coach will come to Akron to replace Embick?  If it is just another guy with a license, looking for a job,  then we may as well stick with what we’ve got.

• Like 1

I am very unhappy with Embick's comments in the press conference.   He blames the players and offers no constructive ideas on what the coaches can do to help this team get back to winning Akron soccer.

He has been the head coach for the last 12 years.   He has to take responsibility for how this team is performing.  It is not the first year that teams coached by this coaching staff has underachieved.   This is the 6th year for this coaching staff and they have not won a single NCAA tournament game during their tenure.

Furthermore, if you look at 2023, the coaching staff and players won 9 out of 18 games.  YTD 2024, they have won 1 game out of 7.  That is 10 wins out of the last 25 games played (that is 40 percent).   It is time for the head coach to stop blaming players for not communicating on the field, falling asleep and not being able to score.

I can understand his frustration.

However, he should not be throwing the freshman left back substitute under the bus.   Help the young man get better on the field or we will see that young man's name in the January transfer portal.

Embick also said that the team has 2 MLS draftees and an MLS showcase player and they are not able to score.   Malik Henry busted his behind yesterday and was consistently dangerous.   Malik has worked hard and is trying to take the ball to the center of the field at times this year.    Malik deserves credit for his tremendous effort and his improvement in now having an outside threat and an inside threat.   I feel sorry for Emil Jaaskilainen.  In my view, Emil is the best #9 that Akron has had in many, many years.   He is good in the air and often directs good one touch passes off his head.   Emil is also very good at hold up play and is good with the ball at his feet.  Emil is also very unselfish and had 2 great assists to Dyson in the VCU game.   The problem is that almost all of Emil's goal scoring opportunities have to come on headers.   With the 4-2-3-1 offensive approach, Emil rarely has the ball delivered to his feet in the box and normally Emil is the only zip in the box.   I am very offended by Embick's comments inferring that Emil and Malik are largely responsible for the zips not being able to score.

Again, Akron soccer has been playing the same unchanged offense for the past 12 years.    When are the coaches going to take some ownership to change up the offense?   Opposing teams seem to get more rebound goals and deflection goals than the zips because opposing teams seem to have more offensive players in the box on their side of the field than the zips do on the opposite side of the field.

How many times this year have we seen the zips #6 or one of the HMF's take the ball up the midfield and enter a pass into the box?   It has not happened very often.

One of the reasons that I was really excited....about the 2024 season....was the addition of 3 new exciting players.  Maximus Barboto was an all league player in a league that includes highly ranked Vermont and New Hampshire.   Maximus and his NJIT teammates last year defeated Vermont.  Victor Gaulmin was a 3 time Div. 3 All American.  Caleb Borneo was one of the top 50 ranked juniors in the 2023 recruiting class.     There have been games this year where Barboto has played 0 minutes.  There have been games this year where Borneo has played 0 minutes.    For the most part, these 3 players (with tremendous success elsewhere) are forced to split 90 minutes between the 3 of them.

I know that they are all small....but can one of the 3 play some minutes at an HMF position?  When Dyson is not effective during the game (constantly losing the ball while trying to go 1 vs 2), can one of the 3 play the left winger position?

Again, I know that Embick is justifiably frustrated by the team's 1-3-3 start.   However, I was very offended by him making negative comments about some of his players.   This team played outstanding soccer against VCU.   This team was the better team against number 4 ranked Western Michigan.   I would have preferred that Embick talk about the team's potential rather than making negative comments about a freshman substitute and the big 3 of Malik, Dyson and Emil.  I also did not appreciate him talking about how much that Will Jackson and Joel Sangwa are missed.  If the coaches don't remember, I will point out that Will Jackson will be the only zip soccer player that started almost every game over the past 5 years and never won an NCAA tournament game.  IMHO, Ashton Kamdem is a huge upgrade over Will Jackson.

below is a biography for Maximus Barboto

2023: Named to the TopDrawerSoccer Men's National Top 100 Postseason List. ... selected to the All-ECAC first-team. ... America East Championship Team (2nd straight season). ... a America East first-team selection, led the America East and sits tied for 15th in the nation (as of 11/26/23) in assists with 9. The 2022 America East Conference Rookie of the Year's nine assists in a single season is a new NJIT Division I record and his 13 career assists ranks fifth all-time in the NJIT Division I era. ... scored first collegiate goal against UMass Lowell (9.23.23). ...Barboto became the first Highlander player to be named Team of the Week by two different publications – CollegeSoccerNews and TopDrawerSoccer on September 9 after tallying four assists in a pair of Highlander wins that week.  He was also named America East Offensive Player of the week.

2022:  America East Rookie of the Year. ... America East All-Rookie Team. ... America East All-Championship Team (only freshman to be named to the team). ... 2x America East Rookie of the Week. ... played in every match but one this season (16), tallying four assists which ranks seventh in the America East.  He is the son of head coach Fernando Barboto, who is in his seventh season at NJIT. ...His four assists this season ranks tied for fifth in a single season in the NJIT Division I era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

You need to be very careful with what you are asking for.  MSOC does not get the support from AD that they once enjoyed.  And the Akron brand has been severely degraded.  Which quality coach will come to Akron to replace Embick?  If it is just another guy with a license, looking for a job,  then we may as well stick with what we’ve got.

Akron's brand hasn't severely degraded. They've elevated to the Big East and still possess national notoriety. They are 14 years removed from a National Championship and only 6 years removed from their 3rd National Title Game appearance in 9 seasons (at the time). They had 5 College Cup appearances from 2009-2018. We have one of the nicer soccer facilities in the country and can have some of the best fan support. The Akron brand is fine.

The issue is, the further Embick gets away from the Porter era, the worse the program gets. I'm well aware the grass isn't always greener, but I'm seeing a "comfortable" coach and program, not a hungry one. I believe Akron would easily be able to attract a hungry coach that can get this program back to where it needs to be - where we expect it to be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1