catdaddyp Posted Saturday at 07:45 PM Report Posted Saturday at 07:45 PM (edited) The offense had over 300 yards on the day and could only muster 10 points. There were so many wasted opportunities that could have made this a competitive game. QB: Roggow threw some nice balls and had a number of good moments in his first start. That said, he did have a few errant throws, and both of his interceptions came off of plays where the ball probably never should have been thrown. The first interception was on a bad snap from the backup center, where Roggow picked it up off the ground and made a rushed decision. The second was on one of the last series of the game where he threw it deep and was off target to the receiver. RB: Gant and Patrick combined for 123 yards on the ground. They ran hard, protected the football, and usually gave the offense short distances to work with on third down. One caveat though - Gant’s pass - could have been a touchdown, but it was tipped and turned into an interception instead. WR/TE: I don’t recall any major blunders by the receivers. Blocking was ok and the receivers caught the ball when it came their way. OL: I thought the OL had one of their best games. There was usually running run for the backs and pass blocking was strong, despite there being three sacks. One of the sacks was on Roggow not recognizing the blitz as UNLV brought more than could be blocked. The second was on a chase down backside where Roggow could not outrun the defender. I did not see the third as I think it was during one of the many tv disconnects during the program. Honestly, I thought UNLV would come out and attempt to run the ball down our throats. When they didn’t, I was initially relieved. Then it became apparent why they chose not to run it as often as they could… DL: The pass rush was about as ineffective as I’ve seen it. I thought we were about to have something special with Abor and Durham coming off the edge, but then we lost Abor for the season. None of our blitzes hit home either. LB: I thought Nunoo played well. Outside of that, Johnson and Curtis did some good things against the run. However, we were out of place, or a step slow, against the pass way too often. DB: That’s as bad of a performance as I’ve seen under this regime. The busts and inability to make plays when we were actually in position was flat out bad. The lack of pass rush certainly didn’t help. ST: Mixed bag here. 1 for 2 on field goals and nothing of note in the return game. Castle did have a punt of 63 yards though. QB: Roggow RB: Gant Patrick WR: Williams Sivon WR: Burris Sivon WR: Mason Hilburn TE: Alexander Cravaack LT: Slayden Shor LG: Smith C Lyons Mobley RG: Hampton Archer RT: Jones Gould DE: Durham DE: Frazier Waye DT: Hull Kavals DT: Mixon Williams LB: Hocker Johnson LB: Nunoo Curtis NB: Branch CB: Thomas CB: Newsome Galloway S: Davis Flowers S: Hunter Flowers * For the first play we went with 5 DL with Williams on and Thomas off. Top Rated Offense (20 snap minimum): WR - Williams WR - Mason TE - Alexander RT - Jones QB - Roggow Top Rated Defense (20 snap minimum): DT - Hull CB - Thomas (I have no idea what PFF saw here. This will likely change during the week) DT - Kavals NB - Branch LB - Johnson Edited Saturday at 11:18 PM by catdaddyp Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 07:55 PM Report Posted Saturday at 07:55 PM (edited) I think this all is fair. Team really didn't look THAT bad and UNLV is simply better than we are. Just like Mullen was better at Mississippi State than his successor... I will say, Roggow wasn't bad by any stretch but it's clear that Broughton is QB1 on this specific roster. My earlier thoughts on that were incorrect. Also I always appreciate your writeups. Edited Saturday at 07:56 PM by exit322 1 Quote
Zippy87 Posted Saturday at 08:04 PM Report Posted Saturday at 08:04 PM It's frustrating to think about what Poffenbarger would look like with the rest of what we have on offense. Going from that expectation to the 3rd string QB this early in the season is pretty deflating all around. I hope the athletic department doesn't lose their enthusiasm. The're doing a great job, but there's only so much you can do with this product. Keep this energy for men's basketball, though, and we'll be cooking. Quote
phil Posted Saturday at 08:28 PM Report Posted Saturday at 08:28 PM Just returned from the game. I am very disappointed we could not give them a competitive game. After scoring a touchdown in our opening drive, we were outscored 38-3. That is pathetic!!!! In the first half we were running the ball extremely well. We are moving to our second score on their 20 yard line and the coach calls a trick play and the receiver or running back gets the handoff and throws a pass that is tipped and is intercepted. No points. On our next drive we are moving the ball on their thirty with a fourth and two and try a roll out pass that is batted down and turnover on downs. When you have success running the ball, run the damm ball!!!! And yes, for the first time on a fouth and short, we had a snap under center and picked up the first down. Finally, our coach puts a guy under center for a fourth and inches. Success!! Our defense just gave up too many big plays in the air. Not one sack all game. The defensive backs were so bad today and just let receivers run past. I do not know what defense the defensive back were playing but on one long pass you had 3 defensive backs looking at the QB and the receiver 15 yards behind them. On another play nobody covered the back out of the backfield. Too many bad plays to talk about today. Not sure who is coaching these guys but that was ugly. I really thought this team was getting better. I was wrong. Quote
kreed5120 Posted Saturday at 08:34 PM Report Posted Saturday at 08:34 PM 28 minutes ago, Zippy87 said: It's frustrating to think about what Poffenbarger would look like with the rest of what we have on offense. Going from that expectation to the 3rd string QB this early in the season is pretty deflating all around. Unless Poffenbarger can play defense I don't think the outcome of this game would be changed. Maybe with him we only lose by 17, but it's still a loss. Something needs to be done to correct the break downs defensively. That's our biggest struggle. Quote
ZipForNow Posted Saturday at 08:54 PM Report Posted Saturday at 08:54 PM What is the story with the blown coverages? Was it a bad scheme? Bad execution? Bad players? How are we to understand receivers being that wide open? Also, I was listening on the Rebels audio stream and the commentary from early in the first quarter praised the play of our offensive line. 2 Quote
AkronAlumnus Posted Saturday at 09:29 PM Report Posted Saturday at 09:29 PM (edited) UNLV NIL budget is 11m. https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/morning-download-unlv-projects-a-nearly-11-million-nilrevenue-sharing-budget Edited Saturday at 09:29 PM by AkronAlumnus 1 Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 09:31 PM Report Posted Saturday at 09:31 PM 55 minutes ago, kreed5120 said: Unless Poffenbarger can play defense I don't think the outcome of this game would be changed. Maybe with him we only lose by 17, but it's still a loss. Something needs to be done to correct the break downs defensively. That's our biggest struggle. Roggow wasn't bad, but had a tendency to panic at times. I think a better offense would have made this game close. Defense couldn't stop a nosebleed but still "only" gave up 38 Quote
LZIp Posted Saturday at 10:06 PM Report Posted Saturday at 10:06 PM 1 hour ago, ZipForNow said: What is the story with the blown coverages? Was it a bad scheme? Bad execution? Bad players? How are we to understand receivers being that wide open? Also, I was listening on the Rebels audio stream and the commentary from early in the first quarter praised the play of our offensive line. The defensive staff totally whiffed in bringing in DBs this year. I thought we had a transfer from Missouri committed at one point, but it appears he never made it to campus. White is good, but he’s out for the year (for I believe the 3rd year in a row). I had what I thought reasonable hopes for our safety group, but they’ve seemed to have regressed. I like what Somerville showed last year but he isn’t getting on the field at all? I had hoped David would be able to come back, but I guess this staff just likes keeping these players who are never available around (see Alex Adams). @catdaddyp - are you certain Abor is done for the year? If so, that would be a huge loss.. Quote
ZippyRulz Posted Saturday at 10:58 PM Report Posted Saturday at 10:58 PM 2 hours ago, phil said: Just returned from the game. I am very disappointed we could not give them a competitive game. After scoring a touchdown in our opening drive, we were outscored 38-3. That is pathetic!!!! In the first half we were running the ball extremely well. We are moving to our second score on their 20 yard line and the coach calls a trick play and the receiver or running back gets the handoff and throws a pass that is tipped and is intercepted. No points. On our next drive we are moving the ball on their thirty with a fourth and two and try a roll out pass that is batted down and turnover on downs. When you have success running the ball, run the damm ball!!!! And yes, for the first time on a fouth and short, we had a snap under center and picked up the first down. Finally, our coach puts a guy under center for a fourth and inches. Success!! Our defense just gave up too many big plays in the air. Not one sack all game. The defensive backs were so bad today and just let receivers run past. I do not know what defense the defensive back were playing but on one long pass you had 3 defensive backs looking at the QB and the receiver 15 yards behind them. On another play nobody covered the back out of the backfield. Too many bad plays to talk about today. Not sure who is coaching these guys but that was ugly. I really thought this team was getting better. I was wrong. This is not making the climb.. Quote
exit322 Posted Saturday at 11:11 PM Report Posted Saturday at 11:11 PM (edited) 18 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said: This is not making the climb.. The talent seems to be there. But it seems they just aren't getting coached up. Having the extra practice with the grades back up doesn't seem to be helping... Maybe that means the talent really isn't there. Edited Saturday at 11:17 PM by exit322 Quote
Zippy87 Posted Sunday at 12:43 AM Report Posted Sunday at 12:43 AM 4 hours ago, kreed5120 said: Unless Poffenbarger can play defense I don't think the outcome of this game would be changed. Maybe with him we only lose by 17, but it's still a loss. Something needs to be done to correct the break downs defensively. That's our biggest struggle. Roggow threw 2 INTs today and got a 3rd when Moorhead had Gant throw it. He's in a tough spot, but had a rough day. Yes, the defense is awful, but having a good QB helps you stay in games like these and hope your defense can make a play or two to try to turn things your way. Quote
ZippyRulz Posted Sunday at 01:35 AM Report Posted Sunday at 01:35 AM 50 minutes ago, Zippy87 said: and got a 3rd when Moorhead had Gant throw it. apparently the circus came to town after all. Marty would've never let that happen. 3 Quote
catdaddyp Posted Sunday at 01:41 AM Author Report Posted Sunday at 01:41 AM 4 hours ago, ZipForNow said: What is the story with the blown coverages? Was it a bad scheme? Bad execution? Bad players? How are we to understand receivers being that wide open? Also, I was listening on the Rebels audio stream and the commentary from early in the first quarter praised the play of our offensive line. I don’t think it’s a talent issue. I know at least one of those blown coverages put the safety and defensive end in an impossible spot. UNLV was able to overload that side of the field and the QB had all day to throw. I haven’t gone back to watch the other busts and probably won’t. The feed constantly going out was ridiculous. My concern is that we’ll see more busts and chunk plays if we can’t figure out a way to get some sort of pressure on the quarterback. Although, it may not matter as much against CMU as they usually don’t throw the ball much. Quote
LZIp Posted Sunday at 01:42 AM Report Posted Sunday at 01:42 AM 6 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said: apparently the circus came to town after all. Marty would've never let that happen. it was a TD if it didn’t get tipped. 1 Quote
catdaddyp Posted Sunday at 01:43 AM Author Report Posted Sunday at 01:43 AM 3 hours ago, LZIp said: The defensive staff totally whiffed in bringing in DBs this year. I thought we had a transfer from Missouri committed at one point, but it appears he never made it to campus. White is good, but he’s out for the year (for I believe the 3rd year in a row). I had what I thought reasonable hopes for our safety group, but they’ve seemed to have regressed. I like what Somerville showed last year but he isn’t getting on the field at all? I had hoped David would be able to come back, but I guess this staff just likes keeping these players who are never available around (see Alex Adams). @catdaddyp - are you certain Abor is done for the year? If so, that would be a huge loss.. I may have jumped the gun on Abor out for the season. Sounds like he may be able to come back at some point. Who knows how effective he’ll be, but whatever he can give us has to be better than what we saw today. Quote
Zippy87 Posted Sunday at 06:21 AM Report Posted Sunday at 06:21 AM (edited) 4 hours ago, LZIp said: it was a TD if it didn’t get tipped. My issue with the play was this...prior to the INT, the previous 5 plays were: - 15 yd pass - 18 yd run - 5 yd run - 11 yd run - Incomplete pass They were moving the ball with ease. It was 2nd and 10 at the UNLV 24 yd line. It was not the time to have Jordan Gant attempt a pass for the first time in his collegiate career. Edited Sunday at 06:22 AM by Zippy87 4 Quote
Blue & Gold Posted Sunday at 11:40 AM Report Posted Sunday at 11:40 AM Excellent postgame story from Beaven Quote
clarkwgriswold Posted Sunday at 11:54 AM Report Posted Sunday at 11:54 AM Wide receivers running wide open 15 yards behind DBs isn't a talent issue. If the receivers were outrunning or out jumping the DBs we could say it was a talent issue but that scenario is a breakdown in the coverage by a player or players having a mental lapse. 1 Quote
exit322 Posted Sunday at 11:59 AM Report Posted Sunday at 11:59 AM 5 hours ago, Zippy87 said: My issue with the play was this...prior to the INT, the previous 5 plays were: - 15 yd pass - 18 yd run - 5 yd run - 11 yd run - Incomplete pass They were moving the ball with ease. It was 2nd and 10 at the UNLV 24 yd line. It was not the time to have Jordan Gant attempt a pass for the first time in his collegiate career. Surely you're not questioning the offensive genius. 2 Quote
MangoZip Posted Sunday at 12:02 PM Report Posted Sunday at 12:02 PM This game hurt the worst. We pretty much knew that Wake and Minnesota would be bad losses. We also knew we should beat Robert Morris. This game was going to be a good test of where we are. We knew UNLV was a good team, but not P4 and we should be able to be competitive- we were for a half. Then we showed our true colors again - so disappointing. Being outscored 38-3 after going up 7-0 is flat out embarrassing. Same old, same old - turnovers, bad penalties, blown coverages and the bottom line is that we only scored 10 points and gave up 38. It just feels like the Joe era is missing the intangibles. Intensity? Grit? Discipline? Attitude? All of the above? 1 Quote
exit322 Posted Sunday at 12:11 PM Report Posted Sunday at 12:11 PM (edited) 8 minutes ago, MangoZip said: It just feels like the Joe era is missing the intangibles. Intensity? Grit? Discipline? Attitude? All of the above? He needs more time to install his program. Edited Sunday at 12:11 PM by exit322 Quote
clarkwgriswold Posted Sunday at 01:53 PM Report Posted Sunday at 01:53 PM The greatest deficiency in Joe's program is a lack of financial support. The university is in no position to provide it and he doesn't have the ability to rally the financial support the program needs. 3 Quote
MangoZip Posted Sunday at 02:05 PM Report Posted Sunday at 02:05 PM 2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said: The greatest deficiency in Joe's program is a lack of financial support. The university is in no position to provide it and he doesn't have the ability to rally the financial support the program needs. The financial support from Akron for football is obviously minimal but most MAC teams are in a similar situation. Here is a list of MAC teams that have been to a bowl in the last five years - seems only one team is missing… Miami Toledo Ohio Western Michigan Central Michigan Nothern Illinois Ball State Buffalo Bowling Green Eastern Michigan Kent State Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.