Bracket Buster Discussion Thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Akron would be Missouri State's top choice? That is interesting.

As things are right now I'd like to see us play somebody like 13-5 South Dakota State, They have a win at Washington and nearly took out Georgia earlier in the season as well. I see a lot of similarities between where the two teams are with respect to national perception right now. Both have a power conference win but have dropped a few non-league games to some pretty decent mid-major programs. The Jackrabbits also figure to be in contention in the Summit League all season long.

With our current RPI (granted it can go up if we win the next 3 games) look for teams like New Mexico, Katz mentioned Iona (great matchup in my mind) North and South Dakota state, and finally yes Butler whos back in the bracket busters this year (would love to go to Hinkle Fieldhouse.) Also win 2 out of the next 3 we will prolly have a tv game.

Here is a really nice RPI look at the teams in the Bracketbuster. It is even divided into home and away teams. Found someone referencing it on the OU board. It hasn't been updated for todays games so the Zips will likely rise a little, but right now the Zips have around a 72 RPI. The home teams in that range that we would be likely to play right now include

48 Iona

53 Oral Roberts

54 Missouri St.

60 Davidson

66 New Mexico St.

69 South Dakota St.

85 North Dakota St.

88 Wisconsin-Milwaukee

I'd actually be happy with any of these. OU, Can't, Cleveland St. and VCU are also in the RPI range but we won't get them since we played them this year. Butler's RPI right now is 112 but it would still be cool to draw them.

Here is a really nice RPI look at the teams in the Bracketbuster. It is even divided into home and away teams. Found someone referencing it on the OU board. It hasn't been updated for todays games so the Zips will likely rise a little, but right now the Zips have around a 72 RPI. The home teams in that range that we would be likely to play right now include

48 Iona

53 Oral Roberts

54 Missouri St.

60 Davidson

66 New Mexico St.

69 South Dakota St.

85 North Dakota St.

88 Wisconsin-Milwaukee

I'd actually be happy with any of these.

I'd like Oral Roberts or Davidson...In a year where we aren't likely to get an at-large, I'd like to see a team with a decent name in their return trip. Although Iona would be a very nice W if we still do have some shot at an at-large

• 2 weeks later...

The games will be announced next week.

Joe Lunardi sees us as a TV game.

Akron (12-7, 4-1 MAC, S-Curve No. 56) at New Mexico State (14-6, 4-1 WAC, S-Curve No. 76): Both schools lead or have led their respective conferences and are the types that win early-round NCAA tournament games. But they have to get there first.

It's insider-only.

Other MAC TV games are Valpo at Ohio and Buffalo at George Mason (nothing is said about these games, implying that they're just TV filler for the bigger matchups like our own).

We should expect to be given one of the top TV billings, which means you can throw geography out the window when looking at potential opponents.

I'd like Oral Roberts or Davidson...In a year where we aren't likely to get an at-large, I'd like to see a team with a decent name in their return trip. Although Iona would be a very nice W if we still do have some shot at an at-large

Have you kept track of the number of nonBCS at large bids handed out in recent years?

We have two chances at an at large bid: wafer slim and none, and to hit slim we need to win out (except) for the MAC tourney final.

Have you kept track of the number of nonBCS at large bids handed out in recent years?

We have two chances at an at large bid: wafer slim and none, and to hit slim we need to win out (except) for the MAC tourney final.

The selection committee is a bureaucracy and will always work to protect itself. They will not select a mid-major that can lose by 75 points, that would reflect on them in a bad way. They also don't really want to invite a mid-major that can win the whole deal, because that would make the "bigs" look bad.

The exception to the rule is a team that brings interest to the game (read TV ratings and money).

Zeke is of interest. Every time we are on TV he gets big play from the announcers, since he is one of the very few true 7 footers in college, to say nothing of mid-majors. And of course he can play, and is among the national leaders in blocks. BUT, that is not enough.

We do have one outside shot. I personally think that Harney, assuming he can stay out of team and academic trouble, is going to be a really big star. He looks and plays like Scotty Pippen. IF, BIG BIG IF, he gets 20+ minutes the rest of the way and throws in 20+ points every game, the combo of Zeke and Harney could be enough to generate interest in this team and get us a bid.

I know it is longshot, but anything related to TV is about money. When I was growing up, Bill Bradley was a phenom, and EVERY Princeton game was on TV here in New York. He filled the Garden for the NIT all by himself. I have not seen a Princeton game on TV since he left! (Well, no doubt they are on cable at times, but so is Akron).

So my point is, if the kid grabs the stardom that looks to be out there, combined with Zeke there could be enough for the committee to say "Hmm, that is an interesting team".

Lets keep in mind, RECORD and RPI mean NOTHING for a mid-major when it comes to the Dance. How many games did that Romeo team win and not get a bid to anyplace? The Dance is all about the bigs, and the only way for an "outsider" to get in is to have something they want to see.

Ok, so the Zips are in the top 5 of RPI among the road teams. The top 2 RPI home teams are Creighton and Murray State. The Zips played Creighton in the BB last season, so it won't be the draw this year. Due to the mix of MVC at the top of both lists, there's perhaps an outside chance the Zips could sneak up and draw the Racers. Unlikely .. but could happen.

What would help would be the following:

St. Mary's loses to LMU & BYU this week.

Wichita loses to Evansville & Drake

Long Beach loses to UC Riverside & CS Fullerton

Northern Iowa loses to Indiana St. & Missouri State.

Each of these teams has a bad RPI team in their 2 remaining games before the selections .. so maybe they can all help the Zips out by tripping over a should win game.

The biggest help would be if one of the West coast teams really tanks as well as Wichita St. The remaining good West Coast team could take the Creighton game, and Akron to Murray State is a manageable travel, leaving Wichita to go to ORU .. and maybe Northern Iowa to the Dakota?

Gotta win in Mount Pleasant and hope for some bad bounces by the teams ahead of us.

I would love Love LOVE a shot to go into old OVC territory against an undefeated, ranked Racers team.

Go Zips!

Ok, so the Zips are in the top 5 of RPI among the road teams. The top 2 RPI home teams are Creighton and Murray State. The Zips played Creighton in the BB last season, so it won't be the draw this year. Due to the mix of MVC at the top of both lists, there's perhaps an outside chance the Zips could sneak up and draw the Racers. Unlikely .. but could happen.

What would help would be the following:

St. Mary's loses to LMU & BYU this week.

Wichita loses to Evansville & Drake

Long Beach loses to UC Riverside & CS Fullerton

Northern Iowa loses to Indiana St. & Missouri State.

Each of these teams has a bad RPI team in their 2 remaining games before the selections .. so maybe they can all help the Zips out by tripping over a should win game.

The biggest help would be if one of the West coast teams really tanks as well as Wichita St. The remaining good West Coast team could take the Creighton game, and Akron to Murray State is a manageable travel, leaving Wichita to go to ORU .. and maybe Northern Iowa to the Dakota?

Gotta win in Mount Pleasant and hope for some bad bounces by the teams ahead of us.

I would love Love LOVE a shot to go into old OVC territory against an undefeated, ranked Racers team.

Go Zips!

1000 times yes. This is my dream matchup and a winnable game. Theoretically, moving up 2 spots among the road squads gives us a shot.

There's some probable losses there too for SMC and UNI especially.