Game 3: Zips -v- Radford - 11/20

Blue & Gold

It's Radford :D

I've actually been there.  It's right down the road from Virginia Tech.  I stayed at a hotel right by their campus several times about 20-25 years ago, traveling down that way on business.  They got a couple of inches of snow one night, and cars couldn't move.  I had to walk a mile back to the hotel.  

Here, we get 6" of snow and everyone is flying up and down the streets.  A different world down there.  

Edited by skip-zip

23 minutes ago, roopride said:

The staff overextended themselves the last couple days.  

Just went thru the paper.  Takes about 10 minutes, and had the same thought.

I felt the same way this morning when I "invested" fifteen minutes trying to find something worthy of reading.  I want to support the local paper, but this is a slow and painful death.

The shortcomings of the ABJ's seem very minor when compared to the Zip's epic failures to produce a watchable video feed. No play by play, no scoreboard, etc, etc. It's at a level that is actually laughable.  I love the game and the players but it seems that my interest is beginning to wane. The unfortunate part of all of this is that the Athletic Department seems not to care.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

The shortcomings of the ABJ's seem very minor when compared to the Zip's epic failures to produce a watchable video feed. No play by play, no scoreboard, etc, etc. It's at a level that is actually laughable.  I love the game and the players but it seems that my interest is beginning to wane. The unfortunate part of all of this is that the Athletic Department seems not to care.

The new HD feed at the JAR is supposed to go into service on January 1. 

• Like 2

Akron's connection to Radford?  In March, 1992 Mark Alberts set the NCAA career 3-point FG record.  Within minutes, it was eclipsed by Glen Day of Radford.  Radford High School is just a mile from my house in Honolulu.  Named for a WWII admiral.

Edited by Z.I.P.

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I still think Daniel Utomi's a big key to this season.  I'm already officially worried about that, but if he fails to make a mark -v- Radford I'll be officially officially worried.

:thumb: Breathing a sigh of relief.

After 2&1/2 games, that 2nd half finally looked like Zips basketball! 

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Very encouraged by Utomi and Olojakpoke.

They really want to get these guys involved.  But right now, they look to be something like 11 and 12 in the rotation?  I hope this is the beginning of that changing.

I know this may have already been talked to death, but we're playing without a Wing/SF, for the most part.  It's either 3 guards (starters), or 2 guards with Ivey.  Aaron Jackson appears to be getting the most minutes after that, but those are bench minutes, and I don't believe he's the answer there.

I'm definitely with those of you who really want to see Utomi or Poke move up very quickly.    

Utomi (my auto correct will successfully change his name to Utopia one of these times) finished with 14 points, on 4-5 shooting (1-2 on 3's & 5-7 on FT's), & 5 rebounds in only 11 minutes.

Granted, as Clark Griswold mentioned, Radford was simply atrocious.

We'll see.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Utomi had unbelievable offensive numbers in high school.  I suspect his problem in getting on the floor has been his commitment to defense, which is always KD's priority.  Defense can be a tough sell to a kid who scored 27 points a game in high school.

Poke even played the 5 tonight, with Big Dog and Big Mike out.

I'd like to see more of both of them, but I can't think of whose time I think they should take.

• Like 1