SG Malcolm Duvivier - Oregon St Transfer

11 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Duvivier can be described as a strong and bruising guard, who is also a severely underrated athlete and is developing into a solid all-around player.

I'd love it if this is what we get out of this guy.  I'd love it even more if this Three Man Weave guy (above) is right that he's a potential MAC first team guy. 

But I'm just wondering how "developing into" are words that can be used to describe a guy who hasn't played in 2 years?  And even more so, I'm wondering where a possible First Team MAC player prediction develops from a guy with only one year left to play, who averaged 6 point, 2 assists, and shot 37% from the field at a program that I would rate lower than Akron.  

Please, someone give me more data here to understand this.....Without telling me how he ranked in high school 5 years ago, or posting a link to a video that only shows his highlights.  

12 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'd love it if this is what we get out of this guy.  I'd love it even more if this Three Man Weave guy (above) is right that he's a potential MAC first team guy. 

But I'm just wondering how "developing into" are words that can be used to describe a guy who hasn't played in 2 years?  And even more so, I'm wondering where a possible First Team MAC player prediction develops from a guy with only one year left to play, who averaged 6 point, 2 assists, and shot 37% from the field at a program that I would rate lower than Akron.  

Please, someone give me more data here to understand this.....Without telling me how he ranked in high school 5 years ago, or posting a link to a video that only shows his highlights.  

Here are his 2014-15 Game Log stats. He had multiple double-digit performances against bigger schools. Who knows what the reason was for the statistical decline the following season, but the kid can play. Oregon St. might be a lower program performance wise, but they play MUCH better competition and have actually won some big games. 

As far as the writer's claim that he has MAC First Team potential, this kid is a physical 6'2" guard coming from a major conference. We're talking about the MAC here, which just had a mass exodus of talent, and is already a middle-of-the-road mid-major conference at best. Who knows what he's been doing since the 2014-15 season, but to predict he's a potential First Team MAC player isn't far-fetched. 

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually agreeing with Skip on this. Half his shots come from 3 and he shot a modest .361 from there and he shoots ft nearly as bad as Big Dog. Neither of those should be impacted by level of competition.

I'm still happy about the signing as he fills a position of need and should provide us some productive minutes to help make the Zips look at least watchable this season. I'm selling him coming in being an All-MAC player and leading us to a deep MAC tourney run.

45 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Here are his 2014-15 Game Log stats. He had multiple double-digit performances against bigger schools. Who knows what the reason was for the statistical decline the following season, but the kid can play. Oregon St. might be a lower program performance wise, but they play MUCH better competition and have actually won some big games. 

As far as the writer's claim that he has MAC First Team potential, this kid is a physical 6'2" guard coming from a major conference. We're talking about the MAC here, which just had a mass exodus of talent, and is already a middle-of-the-road mid-major conference at best. Who knows what he's been doing since the 2014-15 season, but to predict he's a potential First Team MAC player isn't far-fetched. 

You've led the horse to water. Will he drink? I'll guess - no.

My expectations are that he will be a quality player capable of running the offense, anything else will be gravy as I expect Ivey and Utomi to lead the team on the offensive side. He has certainly shown flashes during his career, has experience against some of the best talent in the nation, and is a 5th year senior. Coupled with the mass exodus of MAC talent,  I don't see any reason why expecting him to be solid at worst is unreasonable.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm actually agreeing with Skip on this.

I'm still happy about the signing as he fills a position of need and should provide us some productive minutes to help make the Zips look at least watchable this season.

You made me laugh.  But on a serious note, this sentence above from your post is Spot On with what I am thinking right now.  Anything more would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

Who knows what the reason was for the statistical decline the following season

Good point.  That's one I didn't mention.  Kreed brought up a couple of others.

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

My expectations are that he will be a quality player capable of running the offense, anything else will be gravy

Agreed.  Same here.  

Thanks for all the replies, Guys.   As I've already stated, I see some good potential in a couple of the guys from this recruiting class to be significant contributors someday.  I don't get that same feeling here, from what I've seen.  Playing as a PG who will be with the team for only a short time will make it every challenging to develop any synergy with his teammates.  Hope he surprises me.   

Edited by skip-zip

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Thanks for all the replies, Guys.   As I've already stated, I see some good potential in a couple of the guys from this recruiting class to be significant contributors someday.  I don't get that same feeling here, from what I've seen.  Playing as a PG who will be with the team for only a short time will make it every challenging to develop any synergy with his teammates.  Hope he surprises me.   

So. . . if we were able to drop Kyrie Irving into the lineup for one year it would probably not bear much fruit because of a lack of synergy with his new Zip teammates?

40 minutes ago, K92 said:

So. . . if we were able to drop Kyrie Irving into the lineup for one year it would probably not bear much fruit because of a lack of synergy with his new Zip teammates?

In that scenario, Kyrie would take over 80% of our FG attempts himself, and the PG position on our team would become obsolete.  

Read it again and you'll see that I was specifically referring to the additional challenge of being a floor general on a team for one year, vs. coming in for one year at another position on the floor. 

Edited by skip-zip

18 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

In that scenario, Kyrie would take over 80% of our FG attempts himself, and the PG position on our team would become obsolete.  

Read it again and you'll see that I was specifically referring to the additional challenge of being a floor general on a team for one year, vs. coming in for one year at another position on the floor. 

I know what you meant.  I just disagree.

20 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I would agree... if this were Noah Robotham or Antino Jackson. Neither of those guys had the physical tools to take over a game or make a real impact around the basket. Their impact was either via a pass/assist or a jump shot, and neither one had exceptional vision to earn them the title floor general (Robotham was a floor general his freshman year, but was never the same after his injury). 

Malcolm has the physical tools to take over a game inside the paint. He can drive and has the physique to bang with the bigs, still putting up the And-1. In the sense of a true floor general, I would agree with you that enough team chemistry cannot be built in a single season for a floor-general-PG to have a real effect. We'll see what he brings compared to the rest of the MAC, but put me on the side that says he'll be a game-changer. 

17 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Malcolm has the physical tools to take over a game inside the paint. He can drive and has the physique to bang with the bigs, still putting up the And-1. In the sense of a true floor general, I would agree with you that enough team chemistry cannot be built in a single season for a floor-general-PG to have a real effect.

Well, based on the fact that he only averaged 2 assists per game, you're probably right that we might see more one-on-one play, and less passing from this guy.  We'll see.  

And I did notice that he's 210 lbs.  At least that's what he was listed at previously.  Was that 2 years ago?  Has it changed?  There can definitely be pluses and minuses to playing b-ball at that height/weight.  Could that have been a factor in his reduced minutes between his So. and Jr. year?  I just hope he hasn't gone on the Charles Barkley diet during that extended layoff.  :lol:   

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

A big strong physical guard who can get through picks, rebound and won't get pushed around under the basket.  Looking forward to watching him play next season.    

That's what you see and think when you look at him.  Which is why I was surprised when Kreed pointed out earlier that he took more than half of his shots from beyond 3-point range at Oregon State.  

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

A big strong physical guard who can get through picks, rebound and won't get pushed around under the basket. 

Here is how he was described by coach Groce:

"Malcolm is an explosive scorer and elite defender,'' Groce said. "He can score in a variety of ways and is terrific in the open court, in isolation, and off ball screens. Defensively, he is very active and plays with a lot of energy, which allows him to be a versatile defender."

8 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Here is how he was described by coach Groce:

"Malcolm is an explosive scorer and elite defender,'' Groce said. "He can score in a variety of ways and is terrific in the open court, in isolation, and off ball screens. Defensively, he is very active and plays with a lot of energy, which allows him to be a versatile defender."

A guard that can defend...Based off my experience watching Zips basketball, I didn't think such a thing existed.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, skip-zip said:

That's what you see and think when you look at him.  Which is why I was surprised when Kreed pointed out earlier that he took more than half of his shots from beyond 3-point range at Oregon State.  

The entire time Malcolm was in Corvallis the team never had a serious D-1 post player -- even in 2015-16 when they went to the NCAA for the first time in about 25 years.  Gary Payton II was a premier level player who carried the team that year.  Malcolm was forced by Coach Tinkle out of his natural PG spot, that he had more than earned by leading the team in MP and assists in his sophomore year, so he could move Payton to where he had more shot opportunities.  If he is ready to compete physically and lead emotionally, I think he more than makes up for the loss of Noah.  We still have a severe lack of depth, however.  Better get used to playing 35mpg again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 8:34 PM, Z.I.P. said:

The entire time Malcolm was in Corvallis the team never had a serious D-1 post player -- even in 2015-16 when they went to the NCAA for the first time in about 25 years.  Gary Payton II was a premier level player who carried the team that year.  Malcolm was forced by Coach Tinkle out of his natural PG spot, that he had more than earned by leading the team in MP and assists in his sophomore year, so he could move Payton to where he had more shot opportunities.  If he is ready to compete physically and lead emotionally, I think he more than makes up for the loss of Noah.  We still have a severe lack of depth, however.  Better get used to playing 35mpg again!

Again?

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:43 AM, lilroodude said:

Again?

From his OSU bio:

"SOPHOMORE (2014-15): Played in all 31 games and started 30 … Averaged 10.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.2 steals and 0.1 blocked shots in 34.8 minutes per game"

7 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

From his OSU bio:

"SOPHOMORE (2014-15): Played in all 31 games and started 30 … Averaged 10.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.2 steals and 0.1 blocked shots in 34.8 minutes per game"

My comment was directed towards the relatively slow pace of Dambrot's offenses over the years.