2020 Offers

40 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

At the risk of dating myself, your definition of a "combo guard" used to be the definition of a "guard".

You have me thinking about this. Ha!!

What do you think of this analogy? Guard = Soldier, Point Guard = General, Shooting Guard = Sniper, Combo Guard = Navy Seal.  Some soldiers and guards are elite in their duties.

It's the best I can do.  ?

So can someone enlighten me on why these two are better for us than some of the guys that are going to Miami or CMU or wherever?  I.E. are we just liking these guys simply because they are committing to Akron?  I'm certain they must be buying into Groce's system and be a good fit with the team.  But is there something these two  uniquely offer?

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

So can someone enlighten me on why these two are better for us than some of the guys that are going to Miami or CMU or wherever?  I.E. are we just liking these guys simply because they are committing to Akron?  I'm certain they must be buying into Groce's system and be a good fit with the team.  But is there something these two  uniquely offer?

I think you put your finger on the biggest factor, system fit. I mentioned before that I thought Utomi was fun to watch and he anchored the scoring for us. But he wasn't a natural fit for this system. Also, I think we are inching are way up the ladder in terms of skill and athleticism with each class. Both of these players have plenty of room to grow, but Currie is good enough to have eventually started for Wisconsin (Wisconsin was making room for a couple of stud recruits) and Clarke I believe is a Top 25 point guard in the country (for this 2020 class). 

Edited by Illini Zip

14 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Taylor Currie is a very fluid, versatile 4 that stretches the floor. Here are his HS rankings when he committed to Wisconsin. He also had offers from Michigan and Xavier.

image.png

Some of his highlights from 2017. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Garvin is going to be a true freshman, and has been turning heads for the past year or 2. Multiple Cleveland-area articles on his rise. Here are his recruiting rankings according to 247Sports. 

image.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When Groce was at O-Who, he ran a guard-based, athletic front court system. His "bigs" were more stretch 4s, and his guards were all combo guards. Kellogg & Cooper ran the back court, Keely & Baltic ran the front court; that system got them 3 tourney wins. That is what this team is starting to look like. Athleticism at each position, and matchup nightmares. These 2 guys fit the mold perfectly I think. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is video of North Carolina v. The School Not To Be Named in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. UNC was without their point guard, but they were loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. Groce had one 4 star guy and a few 3 star guys. They fell just short, but this game helped land Groce a job at Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdtdUeIeY8

41 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Here is video of North Carolina v. The School Not To Be Named in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. UNC was without their point guard, but they were loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. Groce had one 4 star guy and a few 3 star guys. They fell just short, but this game helped land Groce a job at Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdtdUeIeY8

I think you crossed the Rubicon and or touched the third rail in posting that.  ?

Edited by NWAkron

13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think you crossed the Rubicon and or crossed the third rail in posting that.  ?

I understand that. It's a chance I'm willing to take. At some point, people need a visual to picture where this team is headed, because words are not cutting it. I think the Zips will surpass anything that happen before because Groce has a high ceiling when it comes to recruiting. Crucify me if you must, but our future is bright Zips fans!!

25 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I understand that. It's a chance I'm willing to take. At some point, people need a visual to picture where this team is headed, because words are not cutting it. I think the Zips will surpass anything that happen before because Groce has a high ceiling when it comes to recruiting. Crucify me if you must, but our future is bright Zips fans!!

you need that style to win in the tourney as a high-seed.  i watched a bit of it, and in the second half they started sinking the 3s.

34 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

you need that style to win in the tourney as a high-seed.  i watched a bit of it, and in the second half they started sinking the 3s.

Indeed. @Let'sGoZips94 has been saying as long as I have been on this forum that it's guard heavy teams that go deep in the Tourney, and I agree. They were ice cold and yet they hung around with tough defense. The size of UNC made scoring in the paint difficult too. The Zips will have the pieces to compete with P5 schools in time, and I will have my bucket of popcorn ready.

Edited by Illini Zip

• 2 weeks later...

I think we're going to have to bring in another JUCO post player next season.  Someone who can step in and contribute immediately.  Here are our outgoing seniors listed next to the player who could/should step into the lineup to fill the void left by their graduation:

Tyler Cheese --------- Maishe Dailey

Channel Banks --------- Bryan Trimble

Xeyrius Williams --------- Taylor Currie

Deng Riak ---------- ???

Without having another post player we'd only have 3 on the roster next season in Camron Reece, Taylor Currie, and Jaden Sayles.     

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think we're going to have to bring in another JUCO post player next season.  Someone who can step in and contribute immediately.  Here are our outgoing seniors listed next to the player who could/should step into the lineup to fill the void left by their graduation:

Tyler Cheese --------- Maishe Dailey

Channel Banks --------- Bryan Trimble

Xeyrius Williams --------- Taylor Currie

Deng Riak ---------- ???

Without having another post player we'd only have 3 on the roster next season in Camron Reece, Taylor Currie, and Jaden Sayles.     

From a different perspective, I think Reece and Currie become the primary interchangeable 4 and 5.  From what little I have seen of Currie I think he's a little more of a post player than X.  He can shoot the 3 but doesn't seem to rely on it as much as X.  As such, I think they just need one backup serviceable big.  I'm really looking forward to Dailey and hope he's using his year off to hone his offensive skills.

• Like 2