Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ZippyRulz

Terry's next endeavor

Recommended Posts

I was skeptical when it was announced about Terry sticking around Akron.  Does this latest news justify my skepticism?  This seems to be all about what is good for Terry, not for Akron.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cykron said:

I was skeptical when it was announced about Terry sticking around Akron.  Does this latest news justify my skepticism?  This seems to be all about what is good for Terry, not for Akron.  

If UA fired me, I’d put what’s best for me ahead of what’s best for UA too.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If UA fired me, I’d put what’s best for me ahead of what’s best for UA too.

 

Of course.  And it was silly to think that he was doing anything else even while he was still there.  That's my point.  You fire someone and then expect them to be a great team-member!  Seemed crazy from day 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, LZIp said:

I wonder what the financial implications of the buyout are for Bowden apparently not taking a position at the U. We could sure use the savings.

 

Sounds like something any journalist partially worth their paycheck would report on. 

 

He's a little busy watching the Elton John movie for the 7th time.

 

Here's another article-  https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/2019/06/10/terry-bowden-joining-clemson-football-coaching-staff-unpaid-intern/1411736001/

 

If Terry's position is unpaid, it leaves UA, I assume it leaves Akron on the hook for the full boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to reports, Akron may be contemplating ways to reduce the athletic department  budget. Apparently want to finally stop milking student fees to pay for non-profitable sports programs. HERE,HERE if that is true! Problem is there will not be any significant bump in ticket sales revenue. That horse left the barn years and years ago. What do they do? Maybe its what some of us have been suggesting for years. Drop to I-AA or D-II if you want to keep varsity sports. But,No more MAC: all of your current coaches will leave. Read carefully what IP Green said. See how you interpret.

As an aside,Bowden is insignificant here now. He is a milker who doesn't need this money at this point. Please move on Mr. Bowden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

If Terry's position is unpaid, it leaves UA, I assume it leaves Akron on the hook for the full boat.

UA signed  his contract, and UA fired him. If there’s any grousing over TB getting paid not to coach the Zips this year, who should get the blame?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

UA signed  his contract, and UA fired him. If there’s any grousing over TB getting paid not to coach the Zips this year, who should get the blame?

No grousing here, just an observation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m to lazy to go back and look for article but I was pretty sure Terry was bought out around 400k.  I’m sure my numbers are not correct but 650k for Nebraska & a future trip in 2025

1.1m Northwestern 

1.3 S Carolina, half went to make the other half of Nebraska up & half did Bowden & Arth buyouts.  Was a brilliant pick up game, no loss of revenue from Nebraska game & handled all expenses with coaches change

 

Let’s move on - Go Zips, beat Illini 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 7:32 PM, Lee Adams said:

According to reports, Akron may be contemplating ways to reduce the athletic department  budget. Apparently want to finally stop milking student fees to pay for non-profitable sports programs. HERE,HERE if that is true! Problem is there will not be any significant bump in ticket sales revenue. That horse left the barn years and years ago. What do they do? Maybe its what some of us have been suggesting for years. Drop to I-AA or D-II if you want to keep varsity sports. But,No more MAC: all of your current coaches will leave. Read carefully what IP Green said. See how you interpret.

As an aside,Bowden is insignificant here now. He is a milker who doesn't need this money at this point. Please move on Mr. Bowden.

 

 

There are always "reports" about dropping down.  Are these credible reports?  That would be a huge move.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cykron said:

 

 

There are always "reports" about dropping down.  Are these credible reports?  That would be a huge move.  

 

Forget dropping down; let's increase revenues by joining the Big 12.  Akron would be a great travel partner for WVU.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 10:27 PM, Cykron said:

 

 

There are always "reports" about dropping down.  Are these credible reports?  That would be a huge move.  

There are no reports about dropping down, and Green never suggested that in his comments.  What you read was 

 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:27 PM, Cykron said:

Maybe its what some of us have been suggesting for years. Drop to I-AA or D-II if you want to keep varsity sports

That was Lee's and others suggestions over the years.  It would be a huge move, as you suggest, but if it does happen, there will be a LOT of conversation about it beforehand.  LeeAdams has made thoughtful discussion points on this in the past.  And as he says in his post No more MAC and a coaches exodus.  Even though MSOC and even WS&D would probably be able to continue their excellence, the others would become at best competitors in their new lower level leagues.  Heck, you're about to watch two nationally ranked teams (mens and womens track and field) begin their slouch to mediocrity here at The U, why not bring down the others.....

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize that this topic was originally about Bowden's next job or whatever. It was not originally about the University considering options to its current sports affiliations. But, with Bowden still apparently being paid by the University and the Interim Prez here talking about having to make cuts while trying to increase revenues from athletics,any significant amounts of money being paid to anyone who is not providing direct services to the University is significant. This is not about Bowden personally. The Interim Prez did not specifically mention changing affiliations,true. But,when he says we need to make cuts while increasing athletic revenues very significantly,one wonders specifically,where the increased revenues will  come from when it has been an issue for years. And,where to the cuts come from. The University is trying to reduce the amount of 'student fees'which go to directly supporting athletics. The burden is being placed on academics. I would posit that the majority of students at the University have limited or know interest in varsity sports. We see that from attendance among other things. So how does the University support athletics at current levels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, Lee Adams said:

According to reports, Akron may be contemplating ways to reduce the athletic department  budget. Apparently want to finally stop milking student fees to pay for non-profitable sports programs. HERE,HERE if that is true! Problem is there will not be any significant bump in ticket sales revenue. That horse left the barn years and years ago. What do they do? Maybe its what some of us have been suggesting for years. Drop to I-AA or D-II if you want to keep varsity sports. But,No more MAC: all of your current coaches will leave. Read carefully what IP Green said. See how you interpret.

As an aside,Bowden is insignificant here now. He is a milker who doesn't need this money at this point. Please move on Mr. Bowden.

 

MAC Membership Requirements from the MAC Constitution old copy -- does anyone know if this still applies?

 

 

"Participation Each full conference member shall participate in a minimum of six conference-sponsored sports, of which three must be football, basketball and baseball for men and three must be volleyball, basketball and softball for women.  The conference shall sponsor 11 sports for men and 12 sports for women.  A majority of member institutions must compete in a sport for it to be considered a MAC-sponsored sport and approved as a conference sport by a majority vote of the Council of Presidents. Note:  Field Hockey and Men's Tennis are exceptions to the above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

 

MAC Membership Requirements from the MAC Constitution old copy -- does anyone know if this still applies?

 

 

"Participation Each full conference member shall participate in a minimum of six conference-sponsored sports, of which three must be football, basketball and baseball for men and three must be volleyball, basketball and softball for women.  The conference shall sponsor 11 sports for men and 12 sports for women.  A majority of member institutions must compete in a sport for it to be considered a MAC-sponsored sport and approved as a conference sport by a majority vote of the Council of Presidents. Note:  Field Hockey and Men's Tennis are exceptions to the above

Sorry K-Roo, it must be an old copy, because the Zips and Buffalo do not participate in baseball now, although Akron is back in 2020, and Eastern Michigan does not participate in softball.  Also, there are not a majority of core MAC institutions that compete in men's soccer, there are only 4 - NIU, BGSU, Western and Akron....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, Lee Adams said:

I realize that this topic was originally about Bowden's next job or whatever. It was not originally about the University considering options to its current sports affiliations. But, with Bowden still apparently being paid by the University and the Interim Prez here talking about having to make cuts while trying to increase revenues from athletics,any significant amounts of money being paid to anyone who is not providing direct services to the University is significant. This is not about Bowden personally. The Interim Prez did not specifically mention changing affiliations,true. But,when he says we need to make cuts while increasing athletic revenues very significantly,one wonders specifically,where the increased revenues will  come from when it has been an issue for years. And,where to the cuts come from. The University is trying to reduce the amount of 'student fees'which go to directly supporting athletics. The burden is being placed on academics. I would posit that the majority of students at the University have limited or know interest in varsity sports. We see that from attendance among other things. So how does the University support athletics at current levels?

 

This concern is about all that makes sense to me about keeping Terry around at all.  If Akron was going to pay him no matter what, perhaps it made some sense to keep him around to do something you would otherwise have to pay someone else to do and/or generate some revenue you might not get otherwise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cykron said:

 

This concern is about all that makes sense to me about keeping Terry around at all.  If Akron was going to pay him no matter what, perhaps it made some sense to keep him around to do something you would otherwise have to pay someone else to do and/or generate some revenue you might not get otherwise.  

 

It's not too late to follow your suggestion.

 

1st, we have to invent a time travel machine.

3rd, we have to use the machine to go back in time and change the terms of Terry's coaching contract by inserting a clause that gives the university the right to assign Terry other duties within the university should he be fired before the end of the contract and also specify that Terry must comply or pay a huge monetary penalty.

2nd, as long as we are back in time, before we do the third step, we better get whatever laws that require contract principals be of sound mind for a contract to be enforceable changed because Terry would definitely be crazy if he signed such a document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...