Conference Realignment

zipsrule

2 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Yeah that's how I'm looking at it plus the ACC is a Clemson loss away from vying for the worst "power five" conference w/ the PAC

Hard way to look at it with how fluid the situation will be. 10 year patterns of the NBC/CBS/Fox conference vs. Disney/ESPN/ABC conference, then 10 years of Amazon streaming vs. Apple streaming vs. Netflix streaming conferences, and so on. 

16 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Yeah that's how I'm looking at it plus the ACC is a Clemson loss away from vying for the worst "power five" conference w/ the PAC

Clemson is a historically good program, but not a great program. If they left the ACC for the SEC, they would immediately become the Virginia Tech of the SEC. It took a few years for VaTech to become irrelevant, but they were successful. University of South Carolina was once in the ACC and left for what they thought were greener pastures in the SEC. Now they are little more than, or maybe not even as good as Kentucky.  Clemson had be careful of what they wish for or they will become another South Carolina.

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

Clemson is a historically good program, but not a great program. If they left the ACC for the SEC, they would immediately become the Virginia Tech of the SEC. It took a few years for VaTech to become irrelevant, but they were successful. University of South Carolina was once in the ACC and left for what they thought were greener pastures in the SEC. Now they are little more than, or maybe not even as good as Kentucky.  Clemson had be careful of what they wish for or they will become another South Carolina.

Not entirely accurate about South Carolina, but I agree with your point about Clemson joining the SEC. They currently invest more into their football program than the majority of ACC schools and play a fairly weak conference schedule on a yearly basis. Clemson is also positioned to recruit heavily out of talent rich states like Florida and Georgia. The state of South Carolina always has talent, but not enough to split between both Clemson and South Carolina. Not to mention the other national powers that attempt to sway the top talent away.

South Carolina left the ACC and went independent for years before joining the SEC. Their downfall was their own doing. The SEC allowed South Carolina and Arkansas to join in 1992. Like you mentioned, success has been hard to come by outside of a handful of years during the Holtz and Spurrier eras. 

The SEC does not seem interested in Clemson at the moment. I suspect Clemson has already peaked in football, but they will still be better than the majority of ACC teams. I think their recruiting along the offensive line, running back, and quarterback has fallen off the past few years. Fans can point to stars as much as they want but I’d argue there are plenty of 4 and 5 stars that should not be 4 and 5 stars. Add to the fact they lost one of the best defensive coordinators in college football and it will be an adjustment year for Clemson at the very least.

Edited by catdaddyp

On 7/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, GP1 said:

The current playoff games are horrible entertainment. Why do you want more crap shoveled into your living room through your television. 

To me what makes it horrible is just the rehashing of the same programs, what I am proposing should help in that regard 

4 hours ago, GJGood said:

To me what makes it horrible is just the rehashing of the same programs, what I am proposing should help in that regard 

Do you get excited about watching Alabama destroy a #16 team worse than they would #4 team. 

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

Do you get excited about watching Alabama destroy a #16 team worse than they would #4 team. 

I generally agree, but maybe the G5 schools could improve the caliber of their average recruit if a kid thought he could make the playoffs by attending a G5 program.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I generally agree, but maybe the G5 schools could improve the caliber of their average recruit if a kid thought he could make the playoffs by attending a G5 program.

The transfer portal will improve the quality of G5 players faster than a fantasy and it still won't be enough. 

14 hours ago, GP1 said:

Only one 16 seed in the basketball tournament has ever beaten a 1 seed, yet March Madness is one of the most exciting tournaments in sports. 

The transfer portal + playoff possibilities would greatly increase the level of G5 football. Would they beat Bama? Highly unlikely. Other P5s? Absolutely. 

This would vastly improve college football. 

• Like 2

Give me a G5 getting creamed in the CFP over Notre Dame or literally anyone besides AL/GA/OSU any day of the week. I'd rather the money go to us and the playing field be leveled out some than status quo. Saying we don't want a share just because we'll get our ass kicked like everybody else makes no sense to me.

Edited by LZIp

29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Give me a G5 getting creamed in the CFP over Notre Dame or literally anyone besides AL/GA/OSU any day of the week. I'd rather the money go to us and the playing field be leveled out some than status quo. Saying we don't want a share just because we'll get our ass kicked like everybody else makes no sense to me.

You highlight the real problem the highest level of college football has.  Only 4 teams have any shot at winning the natty each year.  (I'd add LSU to your above mentioned list of AL/GA/OSU.)  Clemson, Oregon, and Auburn have nice teams on occasion, but let's not talk exceptions which prove the rule.  That's it.  I mean... THAT. IS. IT.  

Is that exciting?  Is that entertaining?

So yeah, it may as well be us getting thumped in a big money game as opposed to Illinois or Purdue, or whoever else you'd list from the other 99% of D-1 college teams.

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Give me a G5 getting creamed in the CFP over Notre Dame or literally anyone besides AL/GA/OSU any day of the week. 

There is an "Option C".  Watch something else or just do something else. This is the option more people seem to be picking. Last year's semi finals, on New Years Eve, had the lowest combined ratings in history. The television networks are shoveling crap into our living rooms, people are realizing it and deciding to do something else with their time. Shoveling an even larger pile of crap into our living rooms isn't going to make the situation any better.

Last New Years Eve I went to the Gator Bowl that morning at 11AM. After the game we went back to the hotel on Amelia Island, changed for the night, went to the little town there to watch the annual Shrimp Drop festivities, went to dinner and then went to the Green Turtle. We saw very little of either invitational tournament game and what we did see was pure crap. A rickety electric shrimp hanging from a crane was more exciting than either game. In fact, anywhere we went and there were televisions, nobody was really paying any attention.

The logic behind expanding the college football invitational tournament can only be drummed up by people who took a few too many shots to the head while playing football. There is little evidence to suggest an expanded tournament will produce better games. There is little evidence to suggest expanding the tournament will produce better long term ratings. There is little evidence to suggest the amount of money the G5 schools will make in the tournament will have a meaningful impact in leveling the playing field against P5 school. In fact the opposite is true, the games are getting worse along with the ratings and the money imbalance is growing. It's utter insanity.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GP1 said:

There is an "Option C".  Watch something else or just do something else. This is the option more people seem to be picking. Last year's semi finals, on New Years Eve, had the lowest combined ratings in history. The television networks are shoveling crap into our living rooms, people are realizing it and deciding to do something else with their time. Shoveling an even larger pile of crap into our living rooms isn't going to make the situation any better.

Last New Years Eve I went to the Gator Bowl that morning at 11AM. After the game we went back to the hotel on Amelia Island, changed for the night, went to the little town there to watch the annual Shrimp Drop festivities, went to dinner and then went to the Green Turtle. We saw very little of either invitational tournament game and what we did see was pure crap. A rickety electric shrimp hanging from a crane was more exciting than either game. In fact, anywhere we went and there were televisions, nobody was really paying any attention.

The logic behind expanding the college football invitational tournament can only be drummed up by people who took a few too many shots to the head while playing football. There is little evidence to suggest an expanded tournament will produce better games. There is little evidence to suggest expanding the tournament will produce better long term ratings. There is little evidence to suggest the amount of money the G5 schools will make in the tournament will have a meaningful impact in leveling the playing field against P5 school. In fact the opposite is true, the games are getting worse along with the ratings and the money imbalance is growing. It's utter insanity.   

So, from this and your previous posts on this topic, I take it that you are undecided about expanding the college football playoffs.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

So, from this and your previous posts on this topic, I take it that you are undecided about expanding the college football playoffs.

Expanding?  No.

Contracting?  Yes.

College football should go back to a BCS style selection of two teams. It was only half as insulting as the current structure. For those of you who may be Kent graduates, 4/2=2.

I really don't see the need for any games to be played. Just have ALL teams perform football moves in front of a panel of judges and have the judges award points on a 1 to ten point scale (similar to spring board diving or gymnastics). The team with the most points is awarded the national championship. However I highly recommend dropping the high and low scores in coming up with total points because the Russian judges are notorious for biased scoring. 

• Haha 1