Ticket sales for Syracuse

Zipgrad01

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The call for rain has been replaced by a call for wind.
Both old schemes would suffer in the wind, our new schemes favor poor weather conditions. With that being said, I hope it is 71 degrees and sunny on Saturday.

Speaking of weather conditions affecting a game, it's a good thing for Elon's sake that their game against Duke at Wallace Wade wasn't scheduled for tonight. Otherwise, the Fighting Christians might have had to face.........................................The Duke of Earl :D

Back to ticket sales for Syracuse, I'll say attendance will be 17,500.

I really hope you're wrong about the attendance being under 20k. The game is "free" for students. We don't even have Cowlumbus State to compete with for attendance...their game is tomorrow (Thursday) night.

Anything over 20k would be a big surprise to me. And I think it depends on a huge Syracuse following. We all need to come to the realization that the curiosity-seekers who wanted to see the new stadium are gone. We need to depend on football fans to fill the stands now.

I really hope you're wrong about the attendance being under 20k. The game is "free" for students. We don't even have Cowlumbus State to compete with for attendance...their game is tomorrow (Thursday) night.

Anything over 20k would be a big surprise to me. And I think it depends on a huge Syracuse following. We all need to come to the realization that the curiosity-seekers who wanted to see the new stadium are gone. We need to depend on football fans to fill the stands now.

I think the students at the game will double from last year.

What makes you think that Max? Any inside information or just a hunch? I hope you are right because students get a helluva lot louder than 41 year olds.

I think it's all about the new freshman each year, when it comes to advertising to students. The rest know what they're getting into. From the new kids I have talked to, they all seem pretty pumped for D-1 college football on campus, at least for the first game. Hopefully the Akron attitude doesn't spread to them too quickly.

What makes you think that Max? Any inside information or just a hunch? I hope you are right because students get a helluva lot louder than 41 year olds.

Now WAIT just a minute....I'm almost 50, and I'm pretty loud. :mad_flame: I get your point.

Max...The student participation will double??? I'd just pray that it stays near the same!! No "new stadium on campus" effect any more, and the team is no longer the contender that people thought it would be last year.

And If I do get the shock of my life to see student participation double this football season, I can only hope that it carries over the basketball season, and I can stop seeing all of those empty courtside seats behind the baskets that we've seen continuously over the last several years.

I just don't see any factor to indicate that we're about to see any increase in student participation.

There are more students living on campus or near campus now and we are playing syracuse not and FCS cupcake. I also don't believe that they are doing the stupid wristband thing this year. I am sure that cut down on some students attending the game. Also, the students who attended games regularly last year for the first time should return with a larger number of incoming freshmen backing them.

I agree that there will be more students than previous years (including last year) at this game. I think that all the factors that maxzip said are exactly the reasons too.

I expect 25,000 people saturday, anything less is a failure by the Athletic department. I mean come on, how easy do they need it to be? (amazing stadium, good opponent, decent weather)

I agree that there will be more students than previous years (including last year) at this game. I think that all the factors that maxzip said are exactly the reasons too.

I expect 25,000 people saturday, anything less is a failure by the Athletic department. I mean come on, how easy do they need it to be? (amazing stadium, good opponent, decent weather)

I will celebrate with you if this happens. It's not going to happen unless Syracuse brings well into the thousands. I think you're incredibly underestimating the number of people that were there for the Morgan State game ONLY to participate in the "opening" of the new stadium.

Just look at the following week, the Indiana game, for a comparison of what you think you will see here.

Amazing Stadium....check, Good Opponent...check, PERFECT Weather......but, about 10,000 less in attendance.

I will celebrate with you if this happens. It's not going to happen unless Syracuse brings well into the thousands. I think you're incredibly underestimating the number of people that were there for the Morgan State game ONLY to participate in the "opening" of the new stadium.

Just look at the following week, the Indiana game, for a comparison of what you think you will see here.

Amazing Stadium....check, Good Opponent...check, PERFECT Weather......but, about 10,000 less in attendance.

Might that be true because Morgan State is not Syracuse?

I am going 21,607

You have to figure in that 6PM start time. Some of those freshmen might start drinking at 11 am..not sure if they have the stamina built up yet to handle that kind of day. Personally, I didn't hit my stride until late Sophomore year at Xavier. Then I really busted onto the scene my Junior year.

According to Ticket Master there are only single seat reserved seats left (no pairs, no triples), and the Best Available Priority Reserved is 210 Row 22 seats 20-21.

This accounts for roughly 10,000 of the 27,000 seats in the stadium.

So us breaking the 20,000 barrier is really on the students.

I am going 21,607

You have to figure in that 6PM start time. Some of those freshmen might start drinking at 11 am..not sure if they have the stamina built up yet to handle that kind of day. Personally, I didn't hit my stride until late Sophomore year at Xavier. Then I really busted onto the scene my Junior year.

That's precisely why my drinking coach made me take a freshman red-shirt! :cheers:

According to Ticket Master there are only single seat reserved seats left (no pairs, no triples), and the Best Available Priority Reserved is 210 Row 22 seats 20-21.

Did you factor in GA? UofA has always done pretty well with walk up sales as well.

Another factor playing into good ticket sales is tOSU played last night. Like it or not, it does impact attendance. I went to a football game myself (USC vs S. Miss) and it really got me in the mood to go to another game. I'm already looking forward to going to the Duke vs. Wake game next Satruday just to watch another game. Watching football makes a fan want to go to a game or go to another game. Without a tOSU game Saturday, I believe there will be a lot of people who reengergized their football spirit last night and will be looking to go to a game.

It's Lab Day weekend. No NFL. No tOSU. School has statred so there are no trips to the beach. It's Saturday night and HS games are over including JV games. There are no interesting college games on TV Saturday (evidence....Arizona vs. Toledo is the ESPN prime time game). There is really nothing of note going on in NE Ohio. 20,000 minimum should be expected. I don't expect the Zips to win, but if they did in front of a big crowd over a Big East team, it would do wonders. Heck, just play well and be entertaining and a loss wouldn't kill the interest in the season. Don't suck!!!

Did you factor in GA? UofA has always done pretty well with walk up sales as well.

Another factor playing into good ticket sales is tOSU played last night. Like it or not, it does impact attendance. I went to a football game myself (USC vs S. Miss) and it really got me in the mood to go to another game. I'm already looking forward to going to the Duke vs. Wake game next Satruday just to watch another game. Watching football makes a fan want to go to a game or go to another game. Without a tOSU game Saturday, I believe there will be a lot of people who reengergized their football spirit last night and will be looking to go to a game.

It's Lab Day weekend. No NFL. No tOSU. School has statred so there are no trips to the beach. It's Saturday night and HS games are over including JV games. There are no interesting college games on TV Saturday (evidence....Arizona vs. Toledo is the ESPN prime time game). There is really nothing of note going on in NE Ohio. 20,000 minimum should be expected. I don't expect the Zips to win, but if they did in front of a big crowd over a Big East team, it would do wonders. Heck, just play well and be entertaining and a loss wouldn't kill the interest in the season. Don't suck!!!

"DONT SUCK" needs to be our Rallying Cry

No, I was just going with what I had evidence of being sold. I assume 3-5 thousand Syracuse was bringing was mostly GA (not that their cheap, I just assume that is what would have been offered by the ticket office).

So that is 10,000 before any GA tickets. Akron typically has a good 6000 walk up people that is 16000 before students.

I went to a football game myself (USC vs S. Miss) and it really got me in the mood to go to another game. I'm already looking forward to going to the Duke vs. Wake game next Satruday just to watch another game. Watching football makes a fan want to go to a game or go to another game.

In a previous attendance-related post you stated "I don't care how many people come to the game. I care about how many fans are paying full price" (I'm paraphrasing...but I think it's accurate).

Your most-recent statement is more in line with my thoughts - If you get people to come to the stadium, and put on a decent show, it makes them want to come to another game.

There's an old businessman's adage -- You don't make any money off the people who don't enter the gate. That's why it is critical that we fill that stadium.

Do we give it away for free? Of course not. But TW needs to find the balance of filling it, and making money.

And - 25k is a lot more fun than 16k.

And - I still think 25k is the attendance for Saturday.

"DONT SUCK" needs to be our Rallying Cry

Simplicity is important. In the 1980s when "personal mission statements" were all the rage, mine was "Don't be stupid". I figured that if I could just not make big mistakes in a world full of idiots, I could do well. I've done well. I continue to do even better because over time, our country is producing an increasing number of idiots.

Want some evidence as to how stupid we are getting?

In the 1980s, Tip O'Neill was the Speaker of the House......today, it is Nancy Peolosi. The Senate President was Geogre Mitchell in 1988 and the minority leader was Bob Dole......today, Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell. Democrats were never very smart. Republicans went from having Ronald R and an intellectual leader such as William F. Buckley to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and the liberal neo conservatives on FOX News/Weekly Standard as their intellectual leaders. The Republican party has actually embraced stupidity.....it's amazing. Democrats are unknowingly stupid. Republicans are willing to become stupid. We are doomed.

Do we give it away for free? Of course not. But TW needs to find the balance of filling it, and making money.

Your summarization of what I said is accurate.

In defense of the University, I do believe UofA has balanced out filling the stadium and making some money. It is actually dirt cheap to go to a UofA football game compared to what it costs to go to other schools. Market to those who can. Win some freaking games and those who can will show up.

It is also dirt cheap to purchase season tickets. I pay over $700 a year for two Wake Forest tickets and I gave the tickets away for the game last night because I didn't want to watch them destroy Presby and I had sixth row seats, 30 yard line for the USC vs S. Miss game a friend gave to me for free (yes, he paid for the tickets). 9,000 freeloaders is unacceptable to me. That's roughly 33% of the stadium. A couple thousand free tickets to people who may not be able to afford tickets is OK with me. People who can afford to pay should pay. I understand the desire for fun, but let's not subsidize the fun to the tune of 33% of the stadium. 10% maybe, 33% no.

ZipsNation Winning Prediction Rules -- "Closest Without Going Over"

Bob_Barker_on_set.jpg

Great Image.

You probably have almost certainly ensured that another debate will go on well after the game is over on this board. So, I will issue two answers to cover both.

Ticket Sales / Announced Attendance = 22,000

People Who Will Actually Be There = 15,000

And I'm still wavering on this a bit in either direction, having no idea how well Syracuse will travel for a game against a MAC opponent a few hundred miles from home.