Local sportstalk

infofan

Maybe it's time for you to give him a call and spice things up a little! :rock:

One thing is for sure. If you want to call, he'll get you on the air.

Ok, I took your advice and listened on my way home today. He had no takes.

He did have EA from the PD on. Elton picked the Zips to beat MU on Saturday.

All JD could rave about afterwards was that Elton's pick of Akron to win was gonna be bulletin board material for MU.

Are you flippin kiddin? Like MU gives a crap what EA thinks... JD belongs covering high school sports....Nothing else...

Then again, why have a take when you can get paid for not having an opinion...and he is on the radio..

This Jim Rome mentality of everybody having to have a "Take" on every subject is annoying as hell. Who cares what some talking head on the radio has to say? Whats wrong with just interviewing people who actually are involved in the subject at hand. Screw Rome and his droids.

This Jim Rome mentality of everybody having to have a "Take" on every subject is annoying as hell. Who cares what some talking head on the radio has to say? Whats wrong with just interviewing people who actually are involved in the subject at hand. Screw Rome and his droids.

Strong "take" by Hilltopper!

Strong "take" by Hilltopper!

Here’s MY take :D Now I don’t know Joe Dunn personally in any fashion whatsoever. But I do have an anecdote that might suggest that his “vanilla” exterior hides a somewhat fiery interior.

I have a friend who graduated from YSU and has been a part of the Penguins traveling fan base in the past. Many years ago, during one of the last UA-YSU games at the Rubber Bowl, he and a few of his inebriated Penguin buddies were in their own words “being obnoxious” near one of the tunnels used by the players to enter the field. There were enough of them that traffic was somewhat congested in the area. This was just as halftime was ending and Joe was trying to get through the jam to get back on the sidelines. One of them smarted off to Joe and with little warning Joe clocked the guy in the face with a short left and proceeded onto the field. The Penguin fans were stunned and thought about making a stink about it, but I think they sort of respected his unexpected reaction in a strange way and decided to leave it alone.

One of them smarted off to Joe and with little warning Joe clocked the guy in the face with a short left and proceeded onto the field.

I remember that game. He reported to Frenchy on-air immediately afterwards -- "Well Steve, I made the world a better place, and punched a Penguin in the face. No doubt about it."

Here’s MY take :D Now I don’t know Joe Dunn personally in any fashion whatsoever. But I do have an anecdote that might suggest that his “vanilla” exterior hides a somewhat fiery interior.

I have a friend who graduated from YSU and has been a part of the Penguins traveling fan base in the past. Many years ago, during one of the last UA-YSU games at the Rubber Bowl, he and a few of his inebriated Penguin buddies were in their own words “being obnoxious” near one of the tunnels used by the players to enter the field. There were enough of them that traffic was somewhat congested in the area. This was just as halftime was ending and Joe was trying to get through the jam to get back on the sidelines. One of them smarted off to Joe and with little warning Joe clocked the guy in the face with a short left and proceeded onto the field. The Penguin fans were stunned and thought about making a stink about it, but I think they sort of respected his unexpected reaction in a strange way and decided to leave it alone.

That sounds like the Joe I know! :)

LOL. I don't want the guy going around beating folks...Just tell me something of substance...like you know who...

I like the show a lot. They do a nice job of getting some really interesting guests on there in reference to relevant topics.

They just really need callers right now, that would really help.

More production wouldn't hurt, either. Sound bytes, news and sports update sounders, humor, theme music, etc. would really help, I believe.

Keep up the good work guys.

So, they fire Ken Carman, and then a year later bring this guy in??? With all due respect, he's great at what he does on TV. But a radio show?

They should put him on at 10p shift for those with insomnia...

Was Carman fired? I thought they just went away from local sportstalk. The "old" Ken Carman show never took callers... much like his "new" show. I really do like the guy and his show is my 2nd favorite on The Fan, but man, does he talk ALOT!!!

Was Carman fired? I thought they just went away from local sportstalk. The "old" Ken Carman show never took callers... much like his "new" show. I really do like the guy and his show is my 2nd favorite on The Fan, but man, does he talk ALOT!!!

One and the same. He was highly distraught on his last day, I was surprised he finished out his shift.

I think he needs more callers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be fair. Ilistened to Joe's show yesterday and it was the most interesting show I have heard in a long long time. I'll definitely be tuning in again.

It's not as if there is any competition from the Cleveland stations in that time slot...

• 1 month later...

Anyone listen to the show today? Who is the moron host that gave his take on the Zips move to D1 in football?

He broke the move down into 3 9-year segments...

Faust

Owens

Since Owens

First he complained that Dennison should have been named the coach when we went D1.

Second- Mentioned that M. Rodriquez should have been named AD. Went on to say that by naming Rodriguez, we would have avoided the merry go round of AD's over the years and that he would still be the AD 27 years later.

Third- Owens should still be coaching the team.

Fourth- Now we need stability in the AD position and we need TW to stay for the long haul....

Does anyone agree with any of these assessments?

Anyone listen to the show today? Who is the moron host that gave his take on the Zips move to D1 in football?

Faust

Owens

Since Owens

First he complained that Dennison should have been named the coach when we went D1.

Second- Mentioned that M. Rodriquez should have been named AD. Went on to say that by naming Rodriguez, we would have avoided the merry go round of AD's over the years and that he would still be the AD 27 years later.

Fourth- Now we need stability in the AD position and we need TW to stay for the long haul....

I tuned in briefly, but when I heard some discussion about another football game to be played tomorrow I turned it off.

The caller went zero for four, in my opinion.

Faust

Owens

Since Owens

I believe that was Ken Carmen (sp?) When he first began his breakdown, it sounded as if he thought Akron's decision to go D-1 was wrong to begin with and Joe Dunn tore into him. I was proud of Joe.

But then Ken made it clear he just wanted to discuss the many administrative mistakes Akron's made since moving to D-1. Your above list are some of the things he would have done differently. I believe he wanted Lee Owens to remain as HC, and thus why he wanted Rodriquez to stay as AD.

Yes, he hopes TW sticks around for consistency's sake. He was tired of AD's using Akron as a stepping stone job. Joe Dunn agreed.

I guess TW's done an okay job, but man, I'm still bitter over TW's hiring of iCoach - the single worst hire in the history of D-1 college athletics. That hire completely ruined any chance of using momentum granted by the opening of the Info. On top of that, I have to remind myself that we got lucky in hiring Terry Bowden. TW screwed up the Paul Winters deal & then was surprised that Coach Bowden was interested in us. I don't have any confidence in TW's ability to evaluate & hire a coach.

However, now that we've got coaching stability in our most prominent athletic programs - Coach Bowden, KD, Jared Embick, Rick Rembielak, Newt Engle ('Meister) - maybe we do need stability at the top?

However, now that we've got coaching stability in our most prominent athletic programs - Coach Bowden, KD, Jared Embick, Rick Rembielak, Newt Engle ('Meister) - maybe we do need stability at the top?

I'm all for stability at the top. A couple of ways to look at it are... First, we could get stability by bringing in an AD(s) committed to UofA and generating success in some areas (football) and maintaining success in others (soccer, MBB). In order to do this, there has to be vision from the top that provides a vision for what the Athletic Department should be.

Second, we could keep a complete failure around because we don't want change at the top. The worst thing that could happen would be for TW to still be at UofA five years from now because they wanted stability. The proof of how bad TW has been will be revealed after he leaves UofA, one way or another, and no other D1A school hires him as AD.

We should strive to find young ADs like Mike Thomas. Mike was a really smart guy and one of the few ADs I wouldn't describe as an ass bag. There are people out there like him, we just need to do a better job of finding them. Don't pluck one off the "AD Tree"...find one with unique abilities and ideas that will generate success based upon the vision at the top of the chain.

If Dr. Proenza keeps TW around after his contract is up or doesn't fire him sooner, there should be a movement to remove Dr. Proenza from his position.

As far as the radio discussion ZipsWin! documented, the caller was an example of the vision we do not need in a leadership position. He is an example of what reading Terry Pluto for decades has turned the average NE Ohio sports fan into.... small minded and short sighted.

• 4 months later...

Listening to Carmen this morning and he was showing his normal love for OSU while denigrating the MAC. He said school like Akron and other schools from the MAC should just be happy to be invited to tournament.

Comical piece to this is he is hosting the sports banquet. If this is how Akron treats the people who publicly treat the program perhaps they have bigger problems.

Listening to Carmen this morning and he was showing his normal love for OSU while denigrating the MAC. He said school like Akron and other schools from the MAC should just be happy to be invited to tournament.

Comical piece to this is he is hosting the sports banquet. If this is how Akron treats the people who publicly treat the program perhaps they have bigger problems.

Ugh. That's not 1350, is it?

I hope that wasn't Akron radio.

Trust me, don't listen to Cleveland radio. Screw Cleveland.

Some will do everything in their power to maintain the status quo.

I want more.

This is exactly why I'm depressed & a bit ticked-off at our performance Thursday night.

And right, there is absolutely no way he should be hosting anything UA if he uses his platform to denigrate what we're working hard to accomplish.

• 4 years later...
On 7/30/2012 at 10:01 PM, Zips Win! said:

What is the over/under that this show will last 6 weeks?

Watching grass grow may be more enjoyable!

I'll take the over. LOL. How about almost 6 years? They would still be on if it wasn't for the three timeslot changes. The first because Jay Mohr got pissed because his show was being pre-empted by these locals. Then again because the radio station finally figured out nobody wanted to listen to Jay Mohr at any time. Then they moved them again to open the drive time slot for Mark "Munch" Bishop. Munch's schtick got old on WKNR and he was demoted to 1000 watt (that's not a typo) KNR2.  That put Big Time Sports up against Ken Carman in 92.3 The Fan, who has a big following. You know, the same Ken Carman WARF forced "the Fishhead" on even though the twoi hated each other? Then fired Carman for a syndicated national show nobody heard of?

There's some real dumbasses running that station.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Not the most listenable couple on the radio, but had great coverage of local college and high school sports. 

Edited by Spin