Conference Re-Alignment?

K-Roo

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're now talking winners and losers here.

The MAC and MWC are winners in my book. The MAC by virtue of stability and performance is garnering deserved attention. Ofcourse, 2 ranked teams in the championship dosen't hurt either. The MWC wins by virtue of goegraphical cohesion and the BE losing its AQ status. To be perfectly honest here, I think 14 full members is ideal for the MAC. It staves off injuries from defections and helps maintain the MACC.

Losers? I think its fairly obvious.

The BE seems to be graspoing at straws here. Did they contact UA or Can't State? Do we really care? The latter says it all, and now they have what appears to be a very unstable combination of programs across the county that selectively play the sports of their choosing. More to the point, this is exactly opposite of the MAC and MWC (where only Umass and Hawai'i are satelite members respectively).

CUSA? With this years record, they've gone down even before ECU moved. FIU? I'd run back to the Belt asap. The real ? though, will these conferences be able to get enough programs to move up before they collapse like the WAC. Honestly, I think we'd all be better off if one did. ;) One would think that a select few will still migrate over to the MWC, but they don't seem to be in as big of a hurry as everyone else.

The Big East is going after big markets. Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Philadelphia, and now New Orleans. I don't see how you'd rather play in Athens, OH or Ypsilanti, MI when we could have national exposure or at the least get outside of the cluster conference of Ohio and Michigan...

Cleveland-Akron is no smaller of a market than any of the ones the Big East is adding.

The Big East is going after big markets. Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Philadelphia, and now New Orleans. I don't see how you'd rather play in Athens, OH or Ypsilanti, MI when we could have national exposure or at the least get outside of the cluster conference of Ohio and Michigan...

Cleveland-Akron is no smaller of a market than any of the ones the Big East is adding.

These things called OOC games....yeah..

Problem is, that as much as TV makes it about market size, it really comes down to competition level.

Do any of those big cities you mentioned, not pay more attention to the best performing team in their area.

Houston and Dallas care about Texas and A&M, Orlando cares about any Florida team but UCF, Philly is Penn State territory. Having a team in that market means nothing if the team is competitive.

For fan experience, maybe the bigger cities would be better (at least easier for travel) but there looks to be ZERO competitive benefit.

what about cinci coming back? Do they really want to stay in a league that is dying and no better than the MAC? Unless the prefer traveling all over the country and keeping whatever dignity they think they might have by thinking they are too good for the MAC.

Cinci is calling the ACC and Big XII. The MAC is not even an afterthought.

Please clarify. The Dallas,Philly,Houston markets are no bigger than the CLE-CAK market?

I'd like to jump on this idea that conferences should add teams based upon the television market that team is in. Big population does not equal big viewership of a local college team. NE Ohio sports fans are crazy about their pro sports teams and OSU. There is no television benefit of bringing in Akron to a conference. The same goes for the joke of the Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers. People in NJ don't really care about Rutgers, but they really care about the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Yankees, etc. and they watch them on television. Maryland struggles to draw large home crowds in a place that can be reached by the DC Metro...nobody cares and nobody is going to watch. The Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland actually makes the conference worse in quality and adds very little in the way of television viewership.

Rutgers is pathetic and pathetic organizations do pathetic things. The AD at Maryland is a moron and morons do moronic things. Rutgers jumped to the Big Ten because they had to get out of the Big East and the Big Ten is so desperate for relevancy they will try to pass off bringing in a bad team as a good idea because it "expands the Big Ten footprint" (I wonder if the people who run the Big Ten understand that when they expand the footprint, they are stepping into a pile of crap). Maryland is making a horrible move getting out of the ACC. The ACC is one of the few BCS conferences the Big Ten is better than and their football program just got worse.

I'd like to jump on this idea that conferences should add teams based upon the television market that team is in. Big population does not equal big viewership of a local college team. NE Ohio sports fans are crazy about their pro sports teams and OSU. There is no television benefit of bringing in Akron to a conference. The same goes for the joke of the Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers. People in NJ don't really care about Rutgers, but they really care about the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Yankees, etc. and they watch them on television. Maryland struggles to draw large home crowds in a place that can be reached by the DC Metro...nobody cares and nobody is going to watch. The Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland actually makes the conference worse in quality and adds very little in the way of television viewership.

Rutgers is pathetic and pathetic organizations do pathetic things. The AD at Maryland is a moron and morons do moronic things. Rutgers jumped to the Big Ten because they had to get out of the Big East and the Big Ten is so desperate for relevancy they will try to pass off bringing in a bad team as a good idea because it "expands the Big Ten footprint" (I wonder if the people who run the Big Ten understand that when they expand the footprint, they are stepping into a pile of crap). Maryland is making a horrible move getting out of the ACC. The ACC is one of the few BCS conferences the Big Ten is better than and their football program just got worse.

Rutgers is usually a pretty solid program. I mean their coach did just go to Tampa Bay last year. You dont do that by sucking.

It was a very smart move by Maryland, financially. They athletic department is already in a lot of debt, and had to cut 7 sports this past year because of it. Joining the B1G and the revenue split from the B1G is allowing them to bring these programs back.

There's something to your argument, but you lose me at "viewership." The Big Ten isn't adding these teams for "viewership." They're adding these teams because they're in markets (read: states) which don't currently have the Big Ten Network. Adding new states to the mix adds "subscribership" .. I don't really think they're into viewership as much as subscribership. Fans will demand the BTN if their teams are all on that network, the cable systems will ultimately capitulate, and millions of other people in the state who don't care for the turtle will be paying the BTN a $ or 2 per month since they live in MD and have a TV.