Couldn't tell it by the score . . .

zippyfan34

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too was glad to see things moving in the right direction. I am a bit worried about our D, we couldn't stop the run and gave up at least two huge pass plays for TD's. Hopefully Chuck can remedy the issue. I agree with whomever stated that we've got the most stability at QB since Getsy. DW runs the O well. One thing people haven't mentioned is that I thought the receivers went up and aggressively got the ball tonight. It seems in the recent past, if a ball was up for grabs, a Zip probably wasn't going to come down with the ball. Tonight, I thought we went up and got those balls. We did have too many drops, but I think those will go away by the end of the season. So, in general, I'm pleased. We may give up a lot of points, but I think we're gonna also score a LOT of points. I expect we will continue to make improvement as the season and I have to say, I think we'll be in prime condition to catch a MAC school off guard and have a big game at home.

I too was glad to see things moving in the right direction. I am a bit worried about our D, we couldn't stop the run and gave up at least two huge pass plays for TD's. Hopefully Chuck can remedy the issue. I agree with whomever stated that we've got the most stability at QB since Getsy. DW runs the O well. One thing people haven't mentioned is that I thought the receivers went up and aggressively got the ball tonight. It seems in the recent past, if a ball was up for grabs, a Zip probably wasn't going to come down with the ball. Tonight, I thought we went up and got those balls. We did have too many drops, but I think those will go away by the end of the season. So, in general, I'm pleased. We may give up a lot of points, but I think we're gonna also score a LOT of points. I expect we will continue to make improvement as the season and I have to say, I think we'll be in prime condition to catch a MAC school off guard and have a big game at home.

Good analysis. The offense doesn't worry me. The fact that Williams & co. moved the ball consistently against a top 50 defense gives me hope. The defense was better than the score showed. If we can maintain the intensity on both sides of the ball, we'll do fine in MAC play. I don't really care how we perform until then, honestly. I think the team can have a positive record in the MAC if the receivers cut down drops and the defensive line keeps getting pressure.

I don't think the D was as bad as people are implying. I'm really positive on the D. When was the last time we had a D lineman lead in tackles? We had 2 sacks and many hurries. Although Ford looked a bit lost on that one TD, the secondary did pretty well. I'm not sure we will see that much teeam speed the rest of the year, certainly not in the MAC. I was worried about special teams going in, and I think that is an area that the extra couple days in this "game week" will allow for much needed extra attention.

FIU is REALLY good. They beat us last year, took great advantage of turnovers and they return their entire secondary which can play on any team. They beat us and Louisville last year if that gives any indication. Carroll being gone may be a plus...but the RB core is pretty good. I'm sure Bowden can get a game-plan on them though. Cristobal does have tricks up his sleeve, he's an aggressive coach.

I don't want to read too much into this, because I didn't watch the game, only saw the scoring updates but...

Over the years, I don't think many REALLY good teams lost to Duke by 20.

I guess we shall learn more next Saturday night.

Go Zips!

I don't want to read too much into this, because I didn't watch the game, only saw the scoring updates but...

Over the years, I don't think many REALLY good teams lost to Duke by 20.

I guess we shall learn more next Saturday night.

Go Zips!

I must admit that it looks like I was WAY off on my view of FIU, based on Duke blowing them out in Durham. I'll gladly be wrong (again) if it means our Zips have a better shot to even their record come next Saturday!

I must admit that it looks like I was WAY off on my view of FIU, based on Duke blowing them out in Durham. I'll gladly be wrong (again) if it means our Zips have a better shot to even their record come next Saturday!

By the looks of the box score, FIU moved the ball pretty well but couldn't punch it in and missed 3 field goals.

I wish it would have been on TV. It had to have been more fun to watch than Alabama-Michigan. :)

By the looks of the box score, FIU moved the ball pretty well but couldn't punch it in and missed 3 field goals.

I wish it would have been on TV. It had to have been more fun to watch than Alabama-Michigan. :)

I just checked out the box score, too. FIU had a big edge in first downs (29-16), had more rushing yards, and had more passing yards. Must have been a crazy 2nd quarter as somehow Duke scored 30 points in it to blow things open.

A few things contributed to the lopsided loss. Turnovers, the defense's inability to make a stop, and missed opportunities. Williams had a few good passes that were dropped, but also had a few that were a bit off target. Those mistakes along with the fumbles can hopefully be fixed. My real concern is the defense. A good offense means nothing if you can't keep the opposing team off the board.

I don't think we can beat FIU, after watching them last year at least. On the bright side I'm hoping our coaches can fix mistakes from the first game, and gameplan for FIU. Watching Oregon's offense right now shows what a good offensive mind can do when given the right players. Can Bowden make that happen in Akron? I don't know, but an offense that exciting will put people in the stands.

I don't think the D was as bad as people are implying. I'm really positive on the D. When was the last time we had a D lineman lead in tackles? We had 2 sacks and many hurries. Although Ford looked a bit lost on that one TD, the secondary did pretty well. I'm not sure we will see that much teeam speed the rest of the year, certainly not in the MAC. I was worried about special teams going in, and I think that is an area that the extra couple days in this "game week" will allow for much needed extra attention.

I thought early the D was holding strong. W just don't have the depth to go toe-to-toe with a top 25 team for an entire game.

If you have access to ESPN3 it's still there I believe. All MAC games were on TV this week.

I don't think we can beat FIU, after watching them last year at least. On the bright side I'm hoping our coaches can fix mistakes from the first game, and gameplan for FIU. Watching Oregon's offense right now shows what a good offensive mind can do when given the right players. Can Bowden make that happen in Akron? I don't know, but an offense that exciting will put people in the stands.

If you are basing on last years team, then I agree with you. But come on, you loose by 20 to Duke! That great Football power. If the Zips loose this game, then they are worst than I thought.

A few things contributed to the lopsided loss. Turnovers, the defense's inability to make a stop, and missed opportunities. Williams had a few good passes that were dropped, but also had a few that were a bit off target. Those mistakes along with the fumbles can hopefully be fixed. My real concern is the defense. A good offense means nothing if you can't keep the opposing team off the board.

Zips can win a few games this year,maybe not FIU,if they can get into some 'shootouts' with some other teams. In a few weeks TB will figure out who can catch and run in game situations. Those guys will be on the field. That should cut down on drops,not hitting holes etc. He needs to find a couple of RB's who can hit a hole quick and run North/South. This offense isn't normally going to provide a convoy of blockers in the run game.

The D is still troubling. As long as they can't stop the run,they won't be able to get off the field. UCF exploited weakness on the right side of the Akron D on the ground. Could have been their best O linemen on that side. Might have to take some more chances on first/second down and load up the box a little more. Hope the secondary can cover better.

This game was infinitely more watchable than the Ianello years.

Out of curiosity I took a look at the last two years and the number of plays run a game. What I found was we only ran 81 plays once in the two years and it was last year against VMI. Ianello's first game we had 10 penalties compared with three last Saturday.

The weird part was our balance never seemed to be dictated by the score. Sometimes we'd lose big and run it more and sometimes we'd lose and pass it more.

Overall last Saturday just felt like a professional coaching staff running the show and doing their job. I never felt that way with Ianello.

Also, as far as what to look for this year....we lost to FIU by 10, EMU by 7 and CMU by 1. It seems we've upgraded out talent on the field and definitely in the coaching department -- hopefully we can we four games. Sure would be nice to have Brian Wagner on this team.

This game was infinitely more watchable than the Ianello years.

Out of curiosity I took a look at the last two years and the number of plays run a game. What I found was we only ran 81 plays once in the two years and it was last year against VMI. Ianello's first game we had 10 penalties compared with three last Saturday.

The weird part was our balance never seemed to be dictated by the score. Sometimes we'd lose big and run it more and sometimes we'd lose and pass it more.

Overall last Saturday just felt like a professional coaching staff running the show and doing their job. I never felt that way with Ianello.

Also, as far as what to look for this year....we lost to FIU by 10, EMU by 7 and CMU by 1. It seems we've upgraded out talent on the field and definitely in the coaching department -- hopefully we can we four games. Sure would be nice to have Brian Wagner on this team.

Looks like you are in luck according to ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football...2006/class/2012