Zips Hoops Rankings

RootforRoo44

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Beating NIU only dropped us one slot in the Pomeroy Rankings. Thought it might be a bigger drop beating a much lower ranked team. NIU has jumped up a little after beating Miami, EMU is now the lowest ranked team at 298

It actually dropped us four spots. Akron was at No. 34 coming into the game, still not bad. But unfortunately, there are a lot more "NIU-like" teams coming up on the schedule, so outside sweeping Ohio, not too much move for Akron to make a big move there.

A team's RPI not only goes up or down based on what that team does, but also on the performances of other teams it has already played against. So the Zips' RPI can go up or down on days when they're not even playing.

Don't look now...but Arkansas Cream-Puff and Texas Southern have combined to win 6 of their last 7.

and the NEWEST bracketology has Akron vs San Diego State in San Jose...."WE'RE MOVING ON UP"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

But in an ESPN article about that latest bracketology, you have this:

Never underestimate the power of a nonconference win at a place like Creighton. Boise got a good one at Wyoming last week, but other than that it hasn't beaten anyone remotely noteworthy. But the Broncos are a No. 8 seed right now because, by golly, they beat Creighton on its own floor. You can't hate on that.

Opportunities lost...

I've been tracking the progress of our RPI and Pomeroy rating since the Penn state game. I have the results in a spreadsheet with a little graph.

While you can't really see the dammage done by losing the first game, you can definitely see that the loss in Detroit really hurt us bad.

Also, losing to Creighton improved our RPI while winning against Texas Southern and Coppin State had a negative effect.

Here's hoping that one day, we will not have any OOC game the winning of which hurts the RPI.

post-316-1358491637_thumb.jpg

I don't think we'll make the tournament, but I think Oregon would be a decent matchup. Beat them and you play NCState...

Just sucks that one slip up in the tournament and our season is over. Seems like most of last year we were picked to make the Tourney too. A poor shooting night, off game by refs, too much can go wrong. Not to mention the 5? straight appearances in the MAC Championship. If they were beating MAC teams by 10-20 points every night I'd be more optimistic. We are the team that everyone wants to beat and odds are definitely against the Zips...

I don't think we'll make the tournament, but I think Oregon would be a decent matchup. Beat them and you play NCState...

Just sucks that one slip up in the tournament and our season is over. A poor shooting night, off game by refs, too much can go wrong. Not to mention the 5? straight appearances in the MAC Championship. The odds are definitely against the Zips...

I nominate for debbie-downer post

well this morning CBS Sports had us as a 13 seed vs Oregon in Austin, mid day CBS switched back to their bracket from Friday but heres the link maybe it will switch back tonight http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

If I am understanding it, that is just based on the MAC leader. Which we are along with OU. But of course one game can change that. So it is basically wishful thinking right now.