2013 commit: Jerome Lane

10 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

Wow, I was not expecting this. He certainly has the talent, but I have heard no buzz about his draft prospects. 

Or the fact the he has zero faith in the quarterback or offensive situation next year. He probably thinks now is the best time to get out for himself. 

37 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Or the fact the he has zero faith in the quarterback or offensive situation next year. He probably thinks now is the best time to get out for himself. 

I doubt doubt that, but can next year's qb play really be worse than this years? Its not like he tore up defenses this year, I would fully expect him to have much better stats next year if he stuck around. Maybe he is worried about not having JoJo next season, letting defenses fully key on him yet again.

28 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

I doubt doubt that, but can next year's qb play really be worse than this years? Its not like he tore up defenses this year, I would fully expect him to have much better stats next year if he stuck around. Maybe he is worried about not having JoJo next season, letting defenses fully key on him yet again.

With as weird as the situation was with Woodson this year, who knows? Woodson was ripping the staff on social media after the season. Who knows if he even plays next year? 

Certainly is unfortunate for the program, but best of luck to him. Quite an achievement for the program players are being developed quick enough that it enables them to leave early for the draft. Especially for a position the player never played until college. Will most likely have multiple players drafted this season with I think 4 guys who have a shot.

Edited by LZIp

I wonder how much this had to do with the way the season tanked at the end.  This certainly puts a little damper on the anticipation of 10 returning offensive players, especially when the two players leaving are your best 2 receivers.  I'm sorry to see him go, and I don't think this will turn out the way he might expect.  

12 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I wonder how much this had to do with the way the season tanked at the end.  This certainly puts a little damper on the anticipation of 10 returning offensive players, especially when the two players leaving are your best 2 receivers.  I'm sorry to see him go, and I don't think this will turn out the way he might expect.  

It could, but frankly its all speculation. If he is getting feedback that he will get drafted, then good for him. He could have only improved his stock next season with Jojo gone. I think he will be drafted. He has size/speed and as good as he already is, has plenty of room for development. Many reasons why a player could decide or not decide to declare early. I can think of two players very recently who play for top programs in the nation that declared early and went undrafted. It clearly wasn't because of disappointing seasons.

Not saying you specifically and as I said it is a bummer for Zips fans, but we should embrace rather than cry about it or put doomsday scenarios in our heads. Players leaving early for the draft is a sign of a good program, because you know..they are talented enough to do so!

Edited by LZIp

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

It could, but frankly its all speculation. If he is getting feedback that he will get drafted, then good for him. He could have only improved his stock next season with Jojo gone. I think he will be drafted. He has size/speed and as good as he already is, has plenty of room for development. Many reasons why a player could decide or not decide to declare early. I can think of two players very recently who play for top programs in the nation that declared early and went undrafted. It clearly wasn't because of disappointing seasons.

Not saying you specifically and as I said it is a bummer for Zips fans, but we should embrace rather than cry about it or put doomsday scenarios in our heads. Players leaving early for the draft is a sign of a good program, because you know..they are talented enough to do so!

Over/under that he gets drafted? I say not a chance in hell 

I can see him going in the 6th or 7th round. Another year of college would have improved his chances of not only getting drafted higher, but actual be able to stick around for 2+ years.

I'm not going to question his decision as it's his life and idk his circumstances. I wish him the best.

Edit: As a fan I've always viewed it as if you can go in 1st 2 rounds leave. If not, stay unless you feel an extra year won't help.

Edited by kreed5120

I give him about a 30% chance. Jatavis had people talking all year about how he was a great talent from a small conference and that teams should take notice and he still went in the 5th. Nobody has talked about Jerome. Hopefully he can impress some people on pro day/ get an invite to a combine, but he has a lot of work in front of him.

13 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

I wonder if someone is evaluating him as a pass catching TE. If he adds 10-15 lbs he comps to a Jordan Reed from the skins. I don't see him as a WR but hey...Ricardo Lewis was drafted in the 4th rd and he doesn't know how to run routes like Lane. 

Then again Roger Lewis somehow went undrafted and is now a regular contributor for the Giants while Louis got some opportunity and lost it. Not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement, just random thought that the NFL doesn't make the most sense to me sometimes.

I can't see this transition to be a successful one. He needed another year, w/o that he is a project. I don't see him getting drafted, but signing and getting stuck on the practice roster. I don't think that sits well with him and I don't think he has demonstrated the professional attitude he will have to bring everyday to practice w/o getting the reward of playing. 

We will miss him but not as much as some think. The receivers will be there, but will the QB and OC be there too. Unfortunately I'm not confident in either of those two positions.

11 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I give him about a 30% chance. Jatavis had people talking all year about how he was a great talent from a small conference and that teams should take notice and he still went in the 5th. Nobody has talked about Jerome. Hopefully he can impress some people on pro day/ get an invite to a combine, but he has a lot of work in front of him.

Jatavis was small. Jerome has NFL size.. He will be drafted. Bummed he won't be a Zip next year but good for him. The more Zips in the pros, the better for us.

20 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Jatavis was small. Jerome has NFL size.. He will be drafted. Bummed he won't be a Zip next year but good for him. The more Zips in the pros, the better for us.

Ok, lets use a more apt comparision. Tajae Sharpe was a receiver at UMASS last year that broke multiple school records. PFF gave him their 4th highest grade for a receiver. He went in the 5th round about thirty spots above Jatavis. He had a much more productive career and at 6'4" was certainly not undersized. He has gone on to be one of the Titans top targets in his rookie year.

Again, I want Jerome to be drafted and be successful, I just think that people underestimate the challenge of being drafted to the NFL.

Edited by UAZippers