Look who showed up for open Gym

Hilltopper

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a spoiler but showing up to a practice is hardly doing anything for our program. Yes I am one of his detractors, and I never liked him, but maybe if he talked up UofA for recruiting or helped raise funds for a new stadium or something, than I would be impressed. Playing in practice doesn't impress me much.

Not to be a spoiler but showing up to a practice is hardly doing anything for our program. Yes I am one of his detractors, and I never liked him, but maybe if he talked up UofA for recruiting or helped raise funds for a new stadium or something, than I would be impressed. Playing in practice doesn't impress me much.

Maybe, just maybe, you do not know what goes on behind the scene. In fact, you do not.

It might not mean much to you, but to those nineteen year old freshmen it means a great deal to play ball with a legend.

If you don't think this comes up when recruits come to campus and talk to the players you're out of your mind. Brian Walsh tweeted it out last night that ONLY at Akron do you get a chance to play open gym with Lebron James.

Anyone wonder if the media will get the picture with Quincy and Reggie with Lebron in the Indians hat?

Maybe it's just me, but Isaiah Johnson looks big and slow. Probably out of all our recruits he worries me the most.

I knew we could count on you to bring things down to a new low. Here's a hint, most people who 6'9' and weigh close to 300lbs are not exactly "quick".

Not to be a spoiler but showing up to a practice is hardly doing anything for our program. Yes I am one of his detractors, and I never liked him ...

It's human nature not to want to give any credit for anything to anyone we may not happen to like for any particular reason.

Maybe it's just me, but Isaiah Johnson looks big and slow. Probably out of all our recruits he worries me the most.

It's not just you. A 6-9, 275-pound player looks big to almost everyone, and is practically guaranteed to be slower than shorter, lighter players. Isaiah's favorite player is Shaquille O'Neal, who turned out not to be too big and slow to have a decent NBA career. The thing I worry about most is having adequate medical staff on hand for any defender who steps in front of Big Dog when he's driving to the bucket. :)

May I suggest that you stop in at practice next Monday, Wednesday or Friday over at Central-Hower high school between

nine and ten AM and determine for yourself if Big Dog is big and slow or just big.

None of the freshmen worry me in the least. They are a great recruiting class.

Is he slow, or is the rest of the team just blazingly fast? He'll be fine. He's still getting into basketball shape.

This team would run circles around the Zips teams from four or five years ago. Whether they're as mentally tough as the old teams remains to be seen, but they're certainly more athletic. We're more like an A-10 team than a MAC team in terms of athleticism and play style.

Is he slow
Slow is a relative term. I'll let you know how he moves his feet the first time I see him get extended minutes against Ken+ or OU. He had better be able to move his feet since KD values defense to get your court time.

Maybe, just maybe, you do not know what goes on behind the scene. In fact, you do not.

It might not mean much to you, but to those nineteen year old freshmen it means a great deal to play ball with a legend.

I do, and LeBron's impact is severely overstated. He helps, but not nearly as much as people make it out to be.

This topic = :horse:

Why does this have to turn into a conversation of whether he helps the program or not? Why can't it just be cool that the guys on the Akron team get an opportunity not afforded every other team in the country. Can't it just be that the Akron team playing with the greatest basketball player in the game is pretty sweet? Everyone on here seems like they want to argue about everything...sometimes things can just be.

Why does this have to turn into a conversation of whether he helps the program or not? Why can't it just be cool that the guys on the Akron team get an opportunity not afforded every other team in the country. Can't it just be that the Akron team playing with the greatest basketball player in the game is pretty sweet? Everyone on here seems like they want to argue about everything...sometimes things can just be.

+1

Couldn't agree more!! +1,000

We need like and dislike buttons.

@Big Zip, you can't call anything sweet on a sports forum without someone else calling it sour. :D But, seriously, it can be only one of three things -- net positive, net negative or neutral. Most Zips fans seem to agree that it's a net positive to have the world's greatest professional basketball player dropping by for open gym with the team. The disagreement appears to be in the degree of positivity, ranging from a little to a lot -- both imprecise terms. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what fans think about this issue. What's important is what the coaching staff and players think.

Outstanding post. It doesn't surprise me that a few LeBron haters are still hanging around, and choose to express themselves, no matter what the discussion is about. The attitudes and actions of Cleveland sports fans is a good part of the reason why Cleveland is what it is.

And let me add:

What about the 17 year olds who already know that LeBron is associated with the program, and see the chances to meet him or play with him at some point to be pretty likely?

Outstanding post. It doesn't surprise me that a few LeBron haters are still hanging around, and choose to express themselves, no matter what the discussion is about. The attitudes and actions of Cleveland sports fans is a good part of the reason why Cleveland is what it is.

And let me add:

What about the 17 year olds who already know that LeBron is associated with the program, and see the chances to meet him or play with him at some point to be pretty likely?

Not to spark this discussion (again), but why, if someone feels LeBron's impact on the program is overstated, does it automatically make them a "LeBron-hater" due to that opinion? Isn't it possible that they may just have a differing opinion? Maybe you should paint people with such a broad brush.