Back The Zips - New Basketball Marketing Theme

Staton14

Sometimes it helps to keep it simple. All MBB needs is to pack the JAR every time they play. An awesome home court advantage leads to a better team. A better team leads to bigger, nationally-recognized games/wins. National recognition leads to public support for a new arena.

^This might be a series of slightly-too-big leaps, but it's essentially the big picture plan.

I believe zestycoyote hit the nail on the head, fill the JAR on game nights. No one will support a new arena with attendance at the levels it's been. Several of the players went into the dorms to speak and ask the students to turn out for games with some good success. I hope that effort is continued as well as this program being the flagship of men's basketball in the MAC.

If the comment about the changed lighting is true I suggest whomever is in charge check out the kitty's pregame show.....it's an intimidating environment for visiting teams and very well done.

Did I mention their band being directly across from the visitors bench making communication almost impossible? Or the student section down on the floor?

ThinK Bigger was a catchy, creative play on words. Back The Zips is a straightforward, generic statement. By themselves, the new words don't make a great slogan. But the most important element is execution. For example, they could play on the "got your back" concept with an image of Tree and Q standing back-to-back, arms crossed, eyes glaring at the camera. Extend the theme to include a little "circle the wagons," as in the underdog, disrespected Zips challenging the world backed by an army of rabid Zips fans. The biggest challenge is creating and executing a theme that energizes Zips fans to fill the JAR and make some noise. There's plenty of creative energy right here on ZN.o, so I'm sure we'll see lots of suggestions.

What is it a play on?

Back to the future?

Back to the wall?

A return to whatever we thought before we all "thought bigger"?

Think Bigger made sense. We aspired to elevate the program. Zeke was a 7-footer.

"Back to the Zips"? When did we ever leave them?

Well if they are going to go this route, lets just go to whe wayback machine.....

Well if they are going to go this route, lets just go to whe wayback machine.....

Damn! I thought for sure you were linking to the button on the sports machine!?!? If they work that into the "back" theme, well sir, I'm all for it.

d14a1827948b63e45764880dd5c74ccb_george_michael_sports_machine.JPG

...hmmm I'm starting to see the possibilities of the "back" theme. All right, count me in.

PS One of my favorite themes was 1989 I think. Huggins and Anthony Buford. Showtime. I think I might still have that poster somewhere, at the very least a photo of it.

Look at how many people show up every game. I think "back the zips" is a nice way of saying "get your ass to the gym."

Exactly how I feel. I wish Zips basketball and football would become the "place to be." Soccer was able to achieve that for years and it is an unbelievably boring sport. What exactly is there to do in Akron that's better than going to a Division 1 sporting event? Seems like students would rather get drunk and pass out, while the rest of NE Ohio would rather sit at home on their couches and do nothing.

Exactly how I feel. I wish Zips basketball and football would become the "place to be." Soccer was able to achieve that for years and it is an unbelievably boring sport. What exactly is there to do in Akron that's better than going to a Division 1 sporting event? Seems like students would rather get drunk and pass out, while the rest of NE Ohio would rather sit at home on their couches and do nothing.

Actually there's a lot to do in NE Ohio besides said activities...as a current college student not only do I attend games but I also do many other activities OTHER than drinking. I get what you mean, but it's kind of hard to push myself to go to the football game when I can go do other Saturday afternoon things...and I'm a die-hard Zips fan. I ALWAYS go to the games, but leave questioning what I could have done with my time instead.

Build a good program and the students will start coming: this is because upper-classman like myself will grab the younger people and bring them with us (unforced). Soccer has a fun, college fan atmosphere that Akron Basketball and Football do not have. It makes it very appealing. And this new "Roo Weekend" nonsense is working hard to further destroy the appeal.

What is it a play on?

Back to the future?

Back to the wall?

A return to whatever we thought before we all "thought bigger"?

Think Bigger made sense. We aspired to elevate the program. Zeke was a 7-footer.

"Back to the Zips"? When did we ever leave them?

You realize it's back the zips, not back to the zips, right?

Balsy, what would you recommend to the UA admin to make the gameday JAR experience more student friendly as you stated that was true at the soccer games?

Well this first one would cost money, which UA doesn't seem to have at the moment however there are décor needs to be done to the JAR, and I'm not referring to seats. Just walking into the JAR (the dark damp feeling) as well as décor itself that just feels old and warn. Very minor changes were made to the soccer stadium and those have made it feel better. I know that may sound ridiculous, but walking into the soccer stadium there's an excited feel, The JAR just feels like gloom. I feel like the "we're a second rate institution" feeling that a lot of outsiders seem to be projecting onto the University, is being projected onto us as students. We may have to live with the JAR for now, but there are small things we can to do make it feel more relevant.

I would add lighting, but apparently there's a rumor going around that is already underway...and if that is the case kudos. :thumb:

Second; one that doesn't require money, stop making the student section so confusing. The last two years (besides the on-court AK rowdies section) the student section has been moved with very little notice. We need to find a place for the students, and not split it with potential ticket sales. I know that sounds bad...but if we want this program to gain momentum on the fan side, we've got to make it an easier and more enjoyable experience for the students (who burden the biggest financial support for Akron Athletics). Along with that, don't have the special student entrance on the opposite side of where the students sit.

There's a lot of little things that go a long way to making students more excited about the game experience, and we've got to understand our market better. We are not OSU, but we can build a better experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Look at how many people show up every game. I think "back the zips" is a nice way of saying "get your ass to the gym."

heh

Anyway, I agree "back the zips" lacks creativity and has no semblance of appreciation for fan psychology.

You simply don't (and can't) command people to be a fan.

You must persuade them that they are missing out on a fun and rewarding experience.