New Uniforms Coming

Blue & Gold

All these alternate uniforms that are polluting college football are the epitome of the style over substance epidemic that plagues our society. Just because Oregon started all this due to their unique relationship with Nike doesn't mean it's a good idea for everyone else to copy. . .and everyone else is copying. Those cool ass gold chrome helmets? Yeah. Baylor did it. Washington did it. South Florida did it. Hell, even Tulsa got in on it.

Black unis? UMass, Fresno State, Western Kentucky, Air Force, Memphis, Kentucky, North Carolina, Maryland, Arizona State, Stanford, Boise State, Ohio, North Carolina State, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Washington, UCLA, Ball State, Baylor, Duke, Miami, Northwestern, Brigham Young, Hawaii & Texas A&M all thought that was a good idea too and I could probably name twice that many.

I'll give Oregon a free pass because they invented it and BECAUSE THEY WIN. Everybody else? Just stop already. It's played out.

Whenever I see Alabama on tv, they look like Alabama. I like that.

• Like 1

I'm gonna step out on a limb and say that the majority of folks would embrace the black unis more ...... To your point above 92'........ If they were winning

Everyone wants the fan buzz that Oregon gets with Nike or the Maryland unis with Under Armour......... The Oregon unis yesterday were terrible (IMO), but were more digestible when you see them throwing up all them point

I don't think the trend is going away ...... Heck I remember the press that Penn State got when they put the players names on their backs a few years back

All these alternate uniforms that are polluting college football are the epitome of the style over substance epidemic that plagues our society. Just because Oregon started all this due to their unique relationship with Nike doesn't mean it's a good idea for everyone else to copy. . .and everyone else is copying. Those cool ass gold chrome helmets? Yeah. Baylor did it. Washington did it. South Florida did it. Hell, even Tulsa got in on it.

Black unis? UMass, Fresno State, Western Kentucky, Air Force, Memphis, Kentucky, North Carolina, Maryland, Arizona State, Stanford, Boise State, Ohio, North Carolina State, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Washington, UCLA, Ball State, Baylor, Duke, Miami, Northwestern, Brigham Young, Hawaii & Texas A&M all thought that was a good idea too and I could probably name twice that many.

I'll give Oregon a free pass because they invented it and BECAUSE THEY WIN. Everybody else? Just stop already. It's played out.

Whenever I see Alabama on tv, they look like Alabama. I like that.

They are a symbol of the lack of creativity that encircles all of college athletics.

I was a big fan of the chrome helmets the first time I saw the Zips play in them. I actually don't mind the Black Uniforms at all. I would have rather seen the Chrome helmets in the Penn State game. I'd also like to see some more creativity with mixing and matching the pants with helmet combos. We have enough pant/helmet/uniform possible combos in order to have a "different" look each game.

The thing about the Black jersey's...they're only nice if we're winning in them. We were 1-1 in them this year? (Correct me if I'm wrong). At this point I'm more worried about changing this awful culture of losing than the uniforms.

Only the "we are going to confuse PSU by wearing white" post made me laugh more in this thread. Hard to believe nobody posted that the flashy gold helmets got us the win at Heinz field because the reflection of the sun got in the eyes of the defenders.

Laugh all you want. Black has no meaning to the University of Akron. Our colors are blue and gold, and unless you incorporate them somehow into the uniform, the football team could be playing for any school. No pride in UA, no pride on the field...as I said black is a good color for this program as we've been mourning every year in FBS except 2005.

If the black and gold chrome is going to bring in recruits or help the program in any way then I am fine with it. I still would prefer the traditional Akron font for the names and numerals however. Why couldn't that be incorporated?

Although I'm not a big fan of the black alternate unis, I get it that others find it appealing. I like the chrome helmets, not the whites. At least the football team has a uniform set that has blue and gold in it. The men's basketball team does not have one uniform combination with blue and gold. Time to get rid of the silver editions.

One of the first things JT did when he went to tOSU to clean up JC's mess was to instill the pride of being a Buckeye in his players. He made them sing the alma mater (not the fight song) after every game, and I don't recall them wearing other colors than those of their school. If black uniforms are why a recruit wants to come to Akron, then go play at Purdue, etc.

I also agree about the Zips MBB uniforms. Why silver (gray)? If you're going to do that, use a subtle gold. You should be able to get very close to that same look using gold (not yellow).

One of the first things JT did when he went to tOSU to clean up JC's mess was to instill the pride of being a Buckeye in his players. He made them sing the alma mater (not the fight song) after every game, and I don't recall them wearing other colors than those of their school. If black uniforms are why a recruit wants to come to Akron, then go play at Purdue, etc.

I also agree about the Zips MBB uniforms. Why silver (gray)? If you're going to do that, use a subtle gold. You should be able to get very close to that same look using gold (not yellow).

Players are going to other schools because of uniforms..........that's the whole point of why teams are doing these alternates, the recruits want them.

Stop crying about it and get used to it. Akron pride? In what? A horrific program? There is nothing to be prideful about, these coaches are trying to create something players would like to come too. What were they supposed to sell? The pride of Akron that can barely get more fans than a high school game?

For the life of me....I do not understand all the crying about uniforms.

• Like 3

Pride in the school. Pride in being Akron. If wearing blue and gold does not mean something to us then we might as well wear OU jerseys. They have nicer black ones.

tOSU jerseys. Maybe we can confuse some folks into believing tOSU is playing in Akron and draw bigger crowds. On second thought, not such a great idea. That could only potentially work for a game or two. Once they see how bad the onfield product is, even the most backward Nut fan would figure it out.

OU colors being white and green -- our colors being blue and gold. One of my points, exactly. (OU joined the black for black's sake bandwagon before we did.) Once you start wearing fad colors you lose all identity except for being another copycat.

What identity? We do not have one........so what exactly are you worried about?

What identity? We do not have one........so what exactly are you worried about?

We don't have one because we can't seem to stick to any consistent theme for more than one or two years.

Wearing the wrong colors, or abandoning good marketing campaigns because somebody in the advertising office wants to pad their resume is exactly why we don't have an identity.

Saying we shouldn't develop an identity because we don't already have one is bad logic.

Judging by attendance, I am not sure the marketing programs were effective or not. I was a fan of the Fear the Roo campaign, we just did not have talent on the football team to make it work.

I am not sold the current AD has the ability to develop a marketing plan that will really benefit this team. I think we all know by now, getting support from NEOhio for this team is unlikely. So rather worry about marketing, how about this team puts all resources in getting talent and supporting the coaching staff.

I agree with Capt, the uniforms were severely outdated. This year was a step in the right direction, the white helmets and the switch to the Z is a good tactic.

I happened to like to the all black and chrome, but I will agree that we caught the tail end of that trend. We need to be ahead of the uni trends for next year so it does not appear that we are just copying. There aren't many ideas left, but at least be a bit more unique with it.

At the end of the day, the uniforms are for the players and prospective players of the program. Not the 2,000 people that come to watch.

tOSU jerseys. Maybe we can confuse some folks into believing tOSU is playing in Akron and draw bigger crowds. On second thought, not such a great idea. That could only potentially work for a game or two. Once they see how bad the onfield product is, even the most backward Nut fan would figure it out.

Now that's funny.

But I disagree with you on one point. I think the effect would last for more than a game to so many of the "Nut" fans, who never went to school there, maybe never even went to college at all, and just robotically pop into a bar every Saturday afternoon to profess their association with the school.

Sticking with outdated uniforms for the sake of matching historical Pantone numbers is lame.

I thought the 2014 uni's were really nice. The players did too. That's enough for me.

I'm with CK.

I'll pull a GP1 here.. "Identity" seems like the building process. It doesn't win us games. Reminds me of really bad seasons as well. If the players like it, and recruits like it, they could wear pink & purple for all I'd care. They're the ones that are going to win games.

Now that's funny.

But I disagree with you on one point. I think the effect would last for more than a game to so many of the "Nut" fans, who never went to school there, maybe never even went to college at all, and just robotically pop into a bar every Saturday afternoon to profess their association with the school.

I never went to UA, yet I robotically go to every football game, travel to a few, go to most BB games and even some soccer games, all the while professing my association with the school. So it's not just a "Nut" thing.

I never went to UA, yet I robotically go to every football game, travel to a few, go to most BB games and even some soccer games, all the while professing my association with the school. So it's not just a "Nut" thing.

Amen....I just wish there were 100,000 more like you, who become Akron fans because they live in this area, instead of automatically thinking that they should be Ohio State fans.

I'm like you 3rd&twenty, never went to UA, but robotically was a seasons ticket holder for football for years. I followed the Zips because they were my hometown team.