The Spring Game 2014

lance99

Are there even such things as "official" visits for a player who's already graduated from college and can play anywhere he wants without sitting out a year? This is a lot different from HS recruits, right? Don't they just do pretty much whatever they want to do without no steenkin' NCAA rules getting in the way?

Are there even such things as "official" visits for a player who's already graduated from college and can play anywhere he wants without sitting out a year? This is a lot different from HS recruits, right? Don't they just do pretty much whatever they want to do without no steenkin' NCAA rules getting in the way?

Not sure, Dave. His twitter feed mentioned "official visit". Not sure if that meant an offical visit to a prospective institution.

I was under the impression that once you were a graduate and released, you could visit anyplace you like. Didn't Russell Wilson make visits to Auburn and Wisconsin before making his decision? Something Coach Bowden said made me believe that graduate transfer guys couldn't do that. Perhaps he meant graduate transfers that hadn't acquired their release yet?

I absolutely want him to be a Zip, but if he doesn't choose UA I wouldn't mind him going to WVU. We should all be rooting for a decent season out of the Mountaineers in 2014 ;)

I'm with you. I have been a mountaineers fan from way back when Akron was the Capitol of WV.

Which reminds me, What do you have when all the WVU cheerleaders are in the same room?

page down

page down

A full set of teeth.

I can't speak for him, but West Virginia's coach Dana Holgorsen is definitely on the hot seat. It's safe to say Bowden would probably be a good fit for them in 2015....

I've said it before...I'll say it again. Terry Bowden will retire as Akron head-coach.

I can't speak for him, but West Virginia's coach Dana Holgorsen is definitely on the hot seat. It's safe to say Bowden would probably be a good fit for them in 2015....

While my brother is a WVU grad, this has nothing to do with me rooting for them in 2014. I’m generally neutral towards the Mountaineers (even rooted against them as a young follower of my hometown Pitt Panthers), but this year I have an ulterior motive in wishing them, and Dana Holgorsen in particular, success. Yinz (just to prove my Western Pa origin) guessed it!

I've said it before...I'll say it again. Terry Bowden will retire as Akron head-coach.

As much as I'd like to believe you, I just don't see it happening. He's definitely not old enough to consider this his "last stop." Bowden is a competitive guy who wants to win. Even if he has 1-2 successful years at Akron there's only so far the program can go in such a small conference like the MAC. It's much easier for him to make the jump to a big school and make a mark. I love UA but doubt I'd feel very motivated to stay at a school that has a thousand people show up to games. Unlike Dambrot, he has no connection to or reason to stay at Akron.

Even if he has 1-2 successful years at Akron there's only so far the program can go in such a small conference like the MAC.

Um, maybe you haven't heard but Akron is going to either the ACC or SEC.

If I could make it to the golf outing this year (will miss it), and if I was concerned with coach moving on to WV. I would pose this question to him; "coach if the WV job become available, would you entertain the thought of possible interviewing?" I would guess he would give an honest answer.

Time will tell of course, however I believe he's here to stay. Everytime coach speaks remotely close to the topic, it seems that this is it for him.

Besides: I'm sorry...what's more impressive: jumping ship to different teams every couple of years (his entire career) or taking the worst program in D-I football and making it a perennial power-house?

I watched We Are Marshall the other night. One of the best scenes is when WVU coach Bobby Bowden let's the new coach at MU watch film of WVU running the veer. Two WVU players come into the room and they have helmets with a MU tribute sticker on them. The Bowden family has class.

Besides: I'm sorry...what's more impressive: jumping ship to different teams every couple of years (his entire career) or taking the worst program in D-I football and making it a perennial power-house?

It seems that about 99% of college football coaches do this. Even the coaches at smaller schools (Boise, Louisville, etc) have since moved on. They all want to coach on the big stage and make big money. Jumping ship is the quickest and easiest way to make it happen.

I think we should all focus on the first step, and not the second one.

If his success doesn't climb here, the offers will not come, and we won't have anything to worry about. If it DOES happen, that's probably good news for him, AND for us.

Nobody really can even predict, including the candidate himself, what will happen if the big offers come. But history tells us that they are hard to pass up for most coaches.

For now, I will just consider us lucky to have someone of his caliber and his legacy at the moment.

• Like 1

If his success doesn't climb here, the offers will not come, and we won't have anything to worry about. If it DOES happen, that's probably good news for him, AND for us.

Nobody really can even predict, including the candidate himself, what will happen if the big offers come. But history tells us that they are hard to pass up for most coaches.

For now, I will just consider us lucky to have someone of his caliber and his legacy at the moment.

Absolutely correct.

Having your football coaches poached by bigger programs is a given for MAC schools. Happens all the time. Except for the Zips. We have never had enough gridiron success for any larger program to want to poach any of our coaches. All of the D1 Akron coaching changes have been as a result of the incumbent being fired.

Listen to Skip. Enjoy the ride for as long as Terry stays. He has done a great job and has retained almost all of the staff he arrived with. These are good times to be a Zip.

Woah, I agree with skip for once. Well said.

Oh well. I like our d-line as-is.

Gimme more OH-KUH-FORE!!

Find solace in Hollis.

And Grice is pretty nice.

I like Horner on the corner.

Pittman? He ain't a gonna take no shit, man.

And be happy cuz we got Capi.