Game #4 Pittsburgh Panthers

Dr Z

but did we play our second string QB at all then? I was surprised when we sent our second string out for two back to back possessions and don't remember that from the Penn State or Howard games.

Tommy Woodson played in both the Marshall and Howard games yes. I was surprised, but it was the right call to make. Kyle needed a fire lit under is rear.

1. It sure seemed like the 500 or so Zip fans there were making a decent amount of noise on Pitt 3rd downs. I wonder if anyone listening can comment as to whether the Zip fans were audible over the radio (or whether Frenchy or Joe took note).

I watched the ESPN 3 feed, and listened to it on the radio (for the big plays because there was a 60second delay, between the radio and the stream...and I LOVE hearing frenchie belt out Akron plays)...yes I'm a dork.

Anywho...You absolutely could hear them on both. In fact, on ESPN3, the Zips fans were probably what I heard the most "Lets go Zips" "c'mon Zips!" often was heard.

I give special credit to KP16 and TW67 for having absolutely NO issues when KP16 was under center.

Yes! Because if you will remember correctly. . .when Patrick Nicely went under center for the first time in 2010, the exchange was harder to learn than Chinese arithmetic. :lol:

I watched the ESPN 3 feed, and listened to it on the radio (for the big plays because there was a 60second delay, between the radio and the stream...and I LOVE hearing frenchie belt out Akron plays)...yes I'm a dork.

Anywho...You absolutely could hear them on both. In fact, on ESPN3, the Zips fans were probably what I heard the most "Lets go Zips" "c'mon Zips!" often was heard.

How about the MAC Conference commercial during the feed. They talked about "the Conference of Champions"…….sweet 16 basketball mentioned, cradle of coaches mentioned, I think there was something about baseball mentioned BUT there was no mention of the only Nation Champions the MAC has ever had……the 2010 University of Akron Men's soccer team!!

How about the MAC Conference commercial during the feed. They talked about "the Conference of Champions"…….sweet 16 basketball mentioned, cradle of coaches mentioned, I think there was something about baseball mentioned BUT there was no mention of the only Nation Champions the MAC has ever had……the 2010 University of Akron Men's soccer team!!

BOOM! It's probably because it's that awfully cheesy and horrible ad that's like 50 years old. :rofl:

One thing that is amazing is that we were one bad ref call (blowing the play dead on the botched punt recovery) and one defensive player jumping off-sides (pick 6 called back) from fully throttling them on the scoreboard 35-10.

I sat right behind the Akron bench and the entire bench, didn't matter if we were on offense or defense was pumped up the entire game. In contrast, the Pitt players would slowly just walk off the field with their heads down, and go sit down.

If Zach Paul doesn't get player of the week honors from the MAC something is wrong, he was phenomenal. I missed the Marshall game due to other commitments, but did we play our second string QB at all then? I was surprised when we sent our second string out for two back to back possessions and don't remember that from the Penn State or Howard games.

He should be darn good, look how much actual game experience he has had the last few years!

He should be darn good, look how much actual game experience he has had the last few years!

Regarding Zach Paul’s tremendous punting so far this year, I think it’s also important to point out the excellent job Mike Buddenberg (the son of former Zip and NFL lineman John Buddenberg) is doing at long snapper. I’ve spoken a few times to Zach’s father and he stressed how much Mike’s consistent, high-velocity snapping has allowed Zach to hone his timing – a crucial element for any punter. While Adam Steiner was a solid 4-year starter at LS, UA was forced into a stop-gap solution in 2013 and I know that affected Zach’s numbers. Now that Mike is here for a while, I look for Zach to continue to be a fantastic weapon in the battle for field position (something that gains more significance when you have a solid defense like the Zips – sounds great to say that!).

Regarding Zach Paul’s tremendous punting so far this year, I think it’s also important to point out the excellent job Mike Buddenberg (the son of former Zip and NFL lineman John Buddenberg) is doing at long snapper. I’ve spoken a few times to Zach’s father and he stressed how much Mike’s consistent, high-velocity snapping has allowed Zach to hone his timing – a crucial element for any punter. While Adam Steiner was a solid 4-year starter at LS, UA was forced into a stop-gap solution in 2013 and I know that affected Zach’s numbers. Now that Mike is here for a while, I look for Zach to continue to be a fantastic weapon in the battle for field position (something that gains more significance when you have a solid defense like the Zips – sounds great to say that!).

Leave it to JZ84 to tell us "the rest of the story".

Paul%20Harvey%20photo.jpg

Good stuff, JZ.

MAC names players of the week. Only one Zip was named and it was not Hundley, Scott nor Paul. Heartily disagree.

Zach lost to a kicker that kicked two field goals of 21 and 33. Holy F-o!?! Who picks these things? I hate individual awards in a team sport, but Zach deserved it. Even though his own conference can't figure it out, he was named Honorable Mention Punter of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards.

Congrats Jatavis!

He is the Zips' top defender with 30 tackles, including 19 solo stops, 4 tackles for loss, a sack, a forced fumble, and a break-up.

jb_0001_2014.jpg

I watched the Pitt Coach's Show last night. Man, is Chryst a boring interview...he spent a full 5 minutes trying to explain-away his DB's comments on how he hates the Pitt fans.

The only redeeming segment of the show was Chryst's response to the reporter question: "How did Hundley run through the Pitt defense so easily?" Chryst responded: "Akron established they could throw, so we couldn't load up the box to defend the run."

Pretty simple stuff. Pass opens up the run. Run opens up the pass.

He also gave Hundley credit for being a "good back."

They had to be shocked that a "nobody" (there was hardly any 2014 film on the kid) ran through them so easily.

If we can run the ball Saturday vs. EMU, it could be a 49-6 romp.

As I sat down after the half, the Pitt fans around me informed me that Akron

would wear down because they didn't have the same depth that Pitt had.

I just love that sports cliché. :rofl:

That 42-yard run set the tone for the half, as Akron ran the ball 22 times for 112 yards in the third and fourth quarters. "The thing that was disheartening is that's, to me, the first time that somebody was able to consistently run the football on us," Pitt defensive coordinator Matt House said Tuesday. "The most demoralizing thing for a defense is when they run the football on you."

Just a quick note of rankings before and after this game.

Pitt was at #47 in the CBS Sports poll before the game, and has dropped 20 spots.

I'm stunned that they moved the Zips from #91 to #65. Goes to show you the impact of one meaningful win. Will this one win be enough to affect attendance? Maybe a little bit. But, that's all this program needs, and all we can wish for right now in the coming few years. A more consistent dose of NC State, Syracuse, and Pitt wins. We will grow if that happens.

BTW....Marshall is sitting at #26, and I was happy to see that after the whooping they put on us.

• 3 weeks later...

Pitt offensive coordinator was Boyd's worst enemy on Saturday.

I didn't watch the game last night, but looking at the box score, I see Voytik had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. That's a better job by the offensive coordinator from my evaluation of that team. Get Boyd the ball and limit Conner on obvious running downs. I'm assuming they didn't go run, run, pass (vanilla game plan) like they did against the Zips.

Edit: I had to look up Pitt OC because I just read a small blurb about his brilliant play calling last night. Joe Rudolph.

"Rudolph spent three years at Ohio State (2004-06) serving as an offensive graduate assistant"

I'll bet a nickel the game plan against Akron next year is dramatically different than this year. If I could buy a ticket to that game now, I would.