Bowl Eligible teams as of now:

NIU 9-2

WMU 7-2

CMU 7-3

BGSU 7-3

Toledo 6-4

*Akron 5-6

*Ohio 5-6

There's five guaranteed spots. One-two more offers would be nice.

That's the only way the Zips go bowling.

4 Teams go to the "playoff" and then there are 39 bowls.

82 teams make it to a bowl game and 63 teams are above .500 right now.

21 teams are 5-5 or 5-6 currently.

So there are currently 84 teams that are capable of filling 82 spots assuming all 84 win out. (If I am counting correctly).

"coveted" is too Biblical of a term for me. I would prefer the word "interested". We might have some interest from the bowl in Alabama. Outside of that, I don't hold much hope.

Interesting that the bowl in Alabama has been mentioned a few times. I assume this is a reference to the Carmelia Bowl in Montgomery, which is a MAC contracted bowl. I would like to point out, however, that it is also possible that the Birmingham Bowl may be looking for a team as it is quite possible the SEC may not have an eligible team to fill the slot. The CBS Sports website currently projects Akron in the Birmingham game, not that you can automatically put much faith in that.

So there are currently 84 teams that are capable of filling 82 spots assuming all 84 win out. (If I am counting correctly).

I'm not sure if those numbers are accurate, but those are the numbers to look at. How many teams are eligible, and how many slots are available.

I'm sure many of you remember 2004. If I recall, we were the only "eligible" team who did not go to a bowl.

What would be the over under on Akron tickets sold for any bowl, that is not 3 hours from here? 500?

One thing I've leaned from observing college football in 2015 - It is no longer about filling a stadium. It is about getting on Television.

Most of the non-major bowls will be played in front of minimal crowds. But the sponsors will get their 3.5 hour commercial. And their numerous mentions on ESPN prior to the game. And everyone's bowl office pool will give the casual fan a reason to watch Akron play Troy on a Wednesday night, and the people in Vegas will have some football to bet on.

Hey...if the Zips basketball team can put up a banner for a CIT loss, then what can't the football team get excited for a berth in the "Mexico Organ Harvester Bowl™"?

• Like 1

4 Teams go to the "playoff" and then there are 39 bowls.

I counted 36 regular bowls and 4 playoff teams. That would mean 76 teams make a bowl.

So it looks like worst case, if all 21 five win teams get their 6th win, 8 of the 84 teams will be left out. Now, not all of them are going to get their sixth win, so maybe we just have to be more attractive then 2 or 3 teams.

Although this doesn't take into consideration any 4-6 teams, if any.

One thing I've leaned from observing college football in 2015 - It is no longer about filling a stadium. It is about getting on Television.

For ESPN, it is about the sponsorship revenue.

For the schools, it is a chance to spend more money than you bring in for the "exposure" and also a few extra weeks of practice to prep some underclassmen for the next season.

For gambling degenerates, it is another game to bet.

For the bowl itself, they do need some money to give away to a local charity. Because of that, the Montgomery bowl seems like it would be a good fit for Akron. I would be willing to bet that we are a more attractive draw for this bowl with our coach being formerly of UNA and most importantly Auburn than another MAC schools with Coach X and Player Y nobody has heard of. We have a player Y, but a name in a coach people have heard of.

If we win next week, I think it would be awesome if we found our way into any bowl. Let's face it, lots of us haven't had much to be really happy about as it relates to this program for almost 30 years. Bowls for a school like Akron are very important. There are people in this world who schedule regular vacations around bowl games. I hope we can get to that point some day and this year would be a good start.