Zip vs. Can't State 3-6-15

any reason dambrot was barking at antino with a 1:29 left after antino hit the three? good coaching?

also...first time i've seen a player go from the 3 point line to the basket in two (ahem) steps

I was wondering the same; wondering if Dambrot had lost his sanity. We needed someone to step up & Antino's been willing and able to do so.

After that huge 3 KD succeeded in getting Antino to hang his head & just stare down at his shoes. I think it was Kwan who put his arm around Antino & cheered him up again. The rest of the team & bench were appropriately amped about Antino's clutch shot.

I was wondering the same; wondering if Dambrot had lost his sanity. We needed someone to step up & Antino's been willing and able to do so.

After that huge 3 KD succeeded in getting Antino to hang his head & just stare down at his shoes. I think it was Kwan who put his arm around Antino & cheered him up again. The rest of the team & bench were appropriately amped about Antino's clutch shot.

It was Deji. Seems like KD gets caught up sometimes in what he thinks should happen and loses perspective. I will take that flaw.

My thought would have been to have Jake, who was guarding the inbounder set up at half court or three point line to help stop the person who got the inbound pass. That's a much easier plan to implement from my easy chair than it is in the heat of the moment. I am proud of the effort of our shorthanded team and how the staff had them prepared.

Coach got on Antino for barking at Can't players after the plays. It happened at least 3 times in te final minutes. I think the sentiment was don't waste that excellent 3 by getting a technical and giving the points back. Good for Dambrot, he's laying the foundation to make Antino a better person and player rather than a Can't State thug.

Coach got on Antino for barking at Can't players after the plays. It happened at least 3 times in te final minutes. I think the sentiment was don't waste that excellent 3 by getting a technical and giving the points back. Good for Dambrot, he's laying the foundation to make Antino a better person and player rather than a Can't State thug.

If that's the case, great! Go KD. Thanks for the clarification.

Does anyone remember either of the announcers ever mentioning the REASON why we were wearing those? They HAD to wonder what was going on.

They did mention the reason for the purple uniforms during the game, although that is even more reason to not stumble on the Peters name on the jerseys.

Dude made some good points throughout the game, but seriously, did he even look at any piece of paper before rolling into Portage county?

My exact thoughts. He was obviously unprepared. Don't forget Deejay (after the color guy just referred to the pronunciation guide), Anteeno and a mangling of Robotham. I did notice, however, that in the UA game notes pronunciation guide they have Antino's name as an-TE-no. I'm not sure that is as clear as it could be. I would think, though, that the SID covers some of those harder names with the announcers before the game.

Overall a great effort on national teevee by the Zips. We showed a lot of heart and resilience in coming back from eight down at half and again with around five minutes to play. Solid games from McAdams, Deji, and Big Dog.

With a full roster, it is a different game and a different season. However, I still think we have the talent to win another two games and get to the 20 win mark.

Although the last five seconds should have gone differently, I don't blame the loss or the season on KD. Actually, I think it reflects well that our guys remain so motivated. Losing Tree alone would have been enough for many teams to underachieve. I believe this freshman class will be part of UA's winningest season before they graduate.

If we are one and done in the MAC Tournament, I'd prefer we don't take a CIT/CBI invite. It would just be another opportunity for injury and probably a quick loss on the road. That doesn't help build the program and would likely be counterproductive in terms of garnering supporters. Get everyone healthy and start next season fresh.

I'm not sure why the Robotham vs Jackson thing is a thing now. Maybe we have some more player family members aboard :-)

I don't think there's any chance Noah doesn't start next year and beyond if he isn't healthy. Like I've said before, I think the coaches are higher on him than any player they've had since Zeke. The fact that Antino is good enough to start is a great "problem" to have. I think Antino will play the Diggs role as the first guy off of the bench that plays just as much as the starters and may even be on the floor when the game ends. The bottom line is that with Noah Robotham, Antino Jackson, and Josh Williams, the Zips should be loaded at guard for the next several years. If Agba and/or Olojapoke can contribute off the bench next year and the rest f our players develop nicely over the summer, we could be downright scary next year. Very exciting to think about!

I would like to say that I am very proud of these kids for what they have went thru this year but there are some things that I feel have hurt them and it all starts with 2 coaches. 1. Rick McFadden is the one who does the substitutions and he is horrible at it anytime someone gets into a grove he pulls them out the game where Reggie had 31 pts he pulls him out the last 3 min of the game to never return and we nearly lose the game 2nd I really don't like the way they live and die with Jake quite of few games this year Jake has givin the team absolutely no production so if he has nothing to offer why does he consistently play 30 plus min pre game case in point last night 34 min 6 pts no production in the second half on O or D whats wrong with having Reggie on the floor more he has shown what he can provide. What is so terrible in having Deji and Niles on the floor at the same time kinda makes sense with me but instead he puts a walk on in at the 2 against Miami in a close game same thing he did against Toledo at home when you sat 3 top scorers on the bench with 1 min to go and had a walk on Juice Brown I agree that they are a young team but they can play and beat anyone in the Mac Coach D needs to coach this team and have the final say so and he is not doing this and that's why they have to play on Monday

It started because I stated that if Tino had been the starter, he probably would have been FOY.

That is not to take away from Robo in any way, they are both very very good.

What I see in Tino lately is some really great athletic ability. Probably he and Deji are the best pure athletes on the team, in my opinion. If Tino was 6'3" and 200 pounds, we would already be talking NBA. He has some really good moves, and has settled down from some early rookie mistakes.

The loss of key players this season has been devastating, but we could do a whole lot worse than Tino at point guard. He has really stepped up this season.

And the kid really has some balls. He took those threes and drained them. At least this time we got some shots off at the end, which is a big improvement.

Since Jan 21, we have lost 8 games by a TOTAL of 34 points. That is just over 4 points a game, and if you pull out the 13 point loss at Miami, it is 7 games by 21 points, only 3 points per game.

Clearly, having Tree and Robo (and NOW PAT) in the lineup would very likely have changed the outcome of most of those games. This was not a bad season, it was an unfortunate season. It happens to every team some time or other.

I think these guys did great considering the adversity they had to face.

• Like 1

I think the close losses are a direct result of Noah's injury. We were good enough without Tree, but now just can't close. Antino has been very impressive, but he doesn't have the floor general/patience qualities that Noah showed over the year. I'm excited to see this team next year if everyone returns. It's actually sad that I have to add that last disclaimer in anymore.

That's exactly what happened.

I would like to say that I am very proud of these kids for what they have went thru this year but there are some things that I feel have hurt them and it all starts with 2 coaches. 1. Rick McFadden is the one who does the substitutions and he is horrible at it anytime someone gets into a grove he pulls them out the game where Reggie had 31 pts he pulls him out the last 3 min of the game to never return and we nearly lose the game 2nd I really don't like the way they live and die with Jake quite of few games this year Jake has givin the team absolutely no production so if he has nothing to offer why does he consistently play 30 plus min pre game case in point last night 34 min 6 pts no production in the second half on O or D whats wrong with having Reggie on the floor more he has shown what he can provide. What is so terrible in having Deji and Niles on the floor at the same time kinda makes sense with me but instead he puts a walk on in at the 2 against Miami in a close game same thing he did against Toledo at home when you sat 3 top scorers on the bench with 1 min to go and had a walk on Juice Brown I agree that they are a young team but they can play and beat anyone in the Mac Coach D needs to coach this team and have the final say so and he is not doing this and that's why they have to play on Monday

Welcome to Zips Nation.

- Reggie McAdams is averaging 17 minutes per game this season. He played 28 last night. They also had to account for Deji, Jake, and Big Dog being in foul trouble and not getting a chance to give Reggie a breather. When he was pulled last night they were giving him that short breather before putting him in for the end of the game. When you have eight players, you have no choice but to make sure you're getting them these quick breaks. There was no issue with the substitutions last night.

- Jake and Reggie have both received similar playing time all season and will continue to do so. It's cliche but it's true - Jake does a lot that doesn't show up in a box score. And, again, we have 8 guys - they are all going to play.

- Coach Dambrot makes the final call on everything. He will consider the opinions of his assistants, as every coach in the world does, but he makes the final call. If you've heard otherwise, you've received bad information.

- I'm not sure why anyone is still mad about Walters on Brown vs Toledo. Antino was gassed and Walters played GREAT defense. Brown hit an incredible shot. Just give him his props.

- Punctuation - it's your friend! ;)

So what exactly does Jake do that is so great that doesn't end up in the box score? Please don't say defense because the last 2 games and pretty much the whole season who ever he sticks he is never able to stop. I am at just about every game so I am able to see who helps and who hurts the team. Maybe Coach D does have the final word on substitutions but he certainly doesn't use it. I think by now everyone knows that we have 8 players so please stop using that as a excuse to why certain players are on the floor with no production it really hurts the team which brings me to my final point of Malcom Walters, he was not ready to be on the floor against Toledo and certainly not against the best player in the conference number one rule in any sport is you always go with who got you there and who has the hot hand, and that was clearly not demonstrated. You should probably understand and know the game of basketball a tad bit more. Knowledge of the game is your friend ;)

Good info. I saw it and was perplexed. I was happy to see Deji encourage him after.

So what exactly does Jake do that is so great that doesn't end up in the box score? Please don't say defense because the last 2 games and pretty much the whole season who ever he sticks he is never able to stop. I am at just about every game so I am able to see who helps and who hurts the team. Maybe Coach D does have the final word on substitutions but he certainly doesn't use it. I think by now everyone knows that we have 8 players so please stop using that as a excuse to why certain players are on the floor with no production it really hurts the team which brings me to my final point of Malcom Walters, he was not ready to be on the floor against Toledo and certainly not against the best player in the conference number one rule in any sport is you always go with who got you there and who has the hot hand, and that was clearly not demonstrated. You should probably understand and know the game of basketball a tad bit more. Knowledge of the game is your friend ;)

Please don't come at me with knowledge of the game talk if you're continuing to insist that Keith Dambrot doesn't decide substitutions.

Again, Walters played fantastic defense on Brown. Juice hit a fadeaway jumper with a hand in his face. Nobody on the roster would have done more, because it was excellent D. As for him being on the floor, Jackson wasn't ready to play 30 minutes. He asked out of the game several times. This is well documented in the Toledo thread.

As for Jake, he and Reggie are pretty similar to me. Both have trouble creating their own shot, both can heat up fast, and both stretch the defense. Reggie is a little better defensively, but Jake is a better rebounder, which might explain his extra minutes. He's third on the team behind Pat and Kwan (only 1 less per game than Pat). With Tree long gone, Pat out, and Big Dog easily winded, Coach D needs any rebounding help he can get.

I'm not sure why the Robotham vs Jackson thing is a thing now. Maybe we have some more player family members aboard :-)

I don't think there's any chance Noah doesn't start next year and beyond if he isn't healthy. Like I've said before, I think the coaches are higher on him than any player they've had since Zeke. The fact that Antino is good enough to start is a great "problem" to have. I think Antino will play the Diggs role as the first guy off of the bench that plays just as much as the starters and may even be on the floor when the game ends. The bottom line is that with Noah Robotham, Antino Jackson, and Josh Williams, the Zips should be loaded at guard for the next several years. If Agba and/or Olojapoke can contribute off the bench next year and the rest f our players develop nicely over the summer, we could be downright scary next year. Very exciting to think about!

No, I'm not a family member I'm just speaking the truth... No one wants to give the freshman props because they are HIGH on Noah, so I'm wondering is any of you guys his family members? And last time I check nobody is promise a starting position...

Noah and Antino are completely different players. Both are worthy of starting. However, Noah will be the starter...I can tell you that with certainty. But I think the two playing against each other in practice will be a wonderful, wonderful thing.

With the addition of Josh Williams next year, we're going to have a TON of talent at the guard position.

You must be family and the coach promised that to yall ??