Zips vs. Can't 3-12-15 (MAC Tourney Rnd 3)

I can't help but to look back at these two Keys To The Game that I posted yesterday.

1) We have to get some good minutes out of Forsythe, even if it's ONLY for his play on the defensive end. Ken+ has a lot of guys who can get to the basket. We won't get past them with a tired team without some rim protection.

3) Fewer than 10 turnovers, please.

But...HOLY COW!! How did we ever get that done shooting 5 of 24 from long range? And 2 of them were BANKED.

Guts, and being a part of a program that knows how to win games. I have no other explanation.

I clearly heard the buzzer go off just before the ball left Manley's hands and was certain that a video check would show the shot didn't count. Before he got the shot off, though, Manley slipped, fell and skidded a couple of feet on the floor, which in my book was traveling. Then again, I'm not a ref.

On Kwan's pair of banked 3-pointers, they weren't luck. In warmups Kwan was practicing banked 3-pointers and at one point hit 7 in a row. It's a real shot, not a fluke. Kwan was also great on defense, though it's unfair to single any one player out when the team as a whole played great defense the whole game. Then again you have to single out Pat's amazing performance of 12 points in just 13 minutes. The amazing stat of the day is that Pat scored 23% of the Zips' total points while playing just 6% of the team's total minutes. Without Pat the Zips would have been in big trouble tonight.

• Like 1

Talking about amazing stats, only 3 turnovers tonight. When is the last time we had that few turnovers in a game. Kwan had 1 and Antino had 2. No traveling violations and no offensive fouls. I did not think we could keep shooting the 3 ball at 45% but certainly did not expect 20%.

We won the game when both Reggie and Kretzer did not score. The team is playing their best defense of the year. Go Zips!!

Woooo what a win! Totally worth the drive and getting 5 hours of sleep and still trying to get 70 hours this week. Decided to splurge and sat second row of court side behind the hoop closest to the zips bench. Saw Reggie get totally drilled with a bow, and came back to hit the huge 3.

We've talked a lot about the zips legs eventually not being there for all the 3 point attempts, but it doesn't matter when you're playing D like that. Keep holding teams to 50 and you don't have to make too many shots. Tomorrow is gonna be a battle, but why not win the whole dang thing now?

• Like 3

After finishing the season 1-7 in the final 8 games...I didn't expect us to win 3 games in 4 days. Akron is really showing what coaching consistency does for a team. This team knows how to WIN in the MAC Tourney. Hopefully it can continue tonight.

Lose your starting power forward before the season starts. Lose your starting point guard. Have several of your rotation players sick or injured at various points in the season. This season is one of the greatest coaching exhibitions ever. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

From the Can't Board.

RE: MAC Tournament

Just back from the Q and my greatest fears are now realized. I hate acorn. But, they are top to bottom better than us. I would not blame this loss on any one player as all of our players played their collective hearts out. I was particularly impressed with Dev being inside of McAdams jock all night. Yes, McAdams made his only 3 in the last minute and that shot won the game. Can not blame anyone as McAdams is the best shooter in the MAC. He is a load in that he is 6'-8. I am amazed at the job that Dambrot does in bringing in players and developing players. I am still a Sendy supporter, but again and I hate saying it, acorn has developed that special 'IT' that we used to have. Would love to find a way to get it back. Did I say that I hate acorn.

From the Can't Board.

I was particularly impressed with Dev being inside of McAdams jock all night.

I agree, their perimeter defense was awesome. Luckily, for us, their offense was putrid.

I think that quote was from the guy with the hat?!?

kentakron0421_2015.jpg

Big Dog did not get hurt. KD indicated in postgame that he liked the lineup of going small with Kwan playing center. He also had Pat in there a few times towards the end of the game.

Gotcha. Can't argue, it worked out :thumb:

This probably deserves its own topic but how about Pat? A lot has been said about player development under KD, namely big men, but his improvement from last year is remarkable. He was really the difference last night.

I didn't notice Big Dog much in the 2nd half. Did he get hurt, or just coach's decision?

Here's the half/half minutes played split for the Zips' 3 bigs:

15/7 = Big Dog

5/8 = Pat

14/20 = Kwan

It's pretty rare that a Zips player is on the court for the full 20 minutes of a half. Kwan's 34 total minutes matched Antino for game high, which shows how much growing trust Coach Dambrot has in Kwan's play. He keeps saying he's concerned about the number of minutes he's playing Kwan and Antino, but they're performing too well not to have on the court as many minutes as they can take.