Thoughts on postseason opportunities

GJGood

35 games played already. 5 long months for these guys who are supposed to be students first. I think the lesser tournaments are anticlimactic to the conference tourney, at best. Cost of entry, cost of travel, being that we're tired and banged up...I could excuse them for declining.

As far as the time away as students goes, how would a CBI or CiT invite be any different than a NIT invite other than we have the option of paying for a home game? We surely would take an NIT invite if it were offered.

Getting your name out there in circles where you are less familiar can only be good for future recruiting and possibly even future scheduling. Other than money, which didn't seem to be the issue in KD's post game comments, I really don't see a large downside to playing on. This is the time of year, that if you don't go to the Big Dance,you play to learn for next season and to reward and thank your seniors.

It's been discussed that we need every recruiting advantage we can get. Right now one of our bragging points is that we've played in the postseason x years in a row. Choosing not to play throws that away.

Also, KD said, "we've played 35 games already, why play one more?" I agree...let's play 5 more.

I wish if he were going to give an excuse not to play in one (which I'm alright with), he would use something different. What about all the other years we played in these junk tourneys? We aren't all of the sudden "above" them, especially when we can't even win because our guys don't usually care to be there. If anything, I think this group of guys would change that. They have great character and heart.

Keep in mind that Coach Dambrot was answering these questions in the emotional minutes after losing a heartbreaker. His players were all in the locker room, and according to Coach Thomas there wasn't a dry eye in there. Everyone was physically and emotionally spent, and Coach Dambrot's statements about one of the lesser tournaments probably reflected what the whole team was thinking at that moment. We all understand that there are pros and cons to playing in the CBI or CIT. Let's see what the players and coaching staff decide is best for this Zips team after they've had a chance to recover and think it all through.

Just a tidbit of info... Murray State and Yale played in the CiT finals last year. This year they have a combined record of 49-14. Not saying a postseason tourney run guarantees great things ahead but it does appear to bolster the chances.

I think the tank is empty both physically and mentally so I'm not sure what would be gained. I get the extra practices and all of that but this was a really difficult and trying season on everybody. I'd say let it go but would certainly respect either decision that is made by our players and coaches. As somebody said "torn" is probably the best way to describe the situation but this may be the first season ever where I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we stay home.

A few snippets pulled from a recent Elton Alexander piece:

That was soon topped by the painful and personal loss of Dan Peters, Dambrot's good friend and Akron assistant coach, after a year-long battle with cancer. "That one really hit me hard,'' Dambrot said. "You hate to see somebody that you really like go through that. He deserved better. These were supposed to be the good years of his life."

As if that has not been enough on his mind, Dambrot's 84-year-old father, Sidney, was hospitalized in serious condition with pneumonia in Florida through the bulk of Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Dambrot flew back and forth between games and practices to be by his side. Sidney, now recovering, had a tough challenge four years ago when he was given a two-percent chance at survival after cardiac arrest in Akron.

Going through his toughest of 11 seasons to date as Akron's head coach, the 56-year-old Dambrot has been losing weight, prepping himself for off-season hip surgery. "I'm getting a little jittery about it,'' Dambrot said. "But I'm probably going to do it in May.''

It was interesting to me that, after downplaying the chances of playing in a tournament, KD said something along the lines of "we'll probably play in the postseason every other year until we retire." We need to remember our coaches are human. They are away from their kids, away from their families, and are always putting the team and the program ahead of themselves. I get that that is why they are paid so well and that they know what they're signing up for, but still, I think the sacrifices they make aren't always acknowledged enough.

This team is beat up from top to bottom. Mentally, emotionally, and physically. If they need to pass on a CBI or CIT invite to get themselves right for next season, I'm OK with that. They've already shown me enough this week to make me strongly believe they'll enter 2015-2016 as one of the favorites in the MAC once again.

I get all that. We are only talking about another two or three weeks maximum though. We are only talking about a time frame that everybody tentatively had to be ready to play in anyway.

I am not saying we should go into the CiT or CBI and just play the way we had been along. I am saying go as a way to get those at the back end of the rotation and even deeper on the bench more experience, and giving the seniors a shot at the type of minutes they always craved. Why not go and do it with the mindset of gaining experience for the young, lower PT guys, continuing conditioning for Big Dog, and letting the seniors take the reigns of the team to close out their careers. The well known commodities that are returning or anyone currently injured would not need to be the focus.

I get all that. We are only talking about another two or three weeks maximum though.

And then recruiting starts...and summer camps...and coaching clinics...and everything else they do 365 days out of the year. I imagine Coach D and his staff could really use that week or two to spend with their families, get "away" for a short time, and recharge. With the year they went through, they surely need it.

CIT and CBI are garbage. I'm with KD, cash the chips in and go home.

I disagree. Akron was one of the programs cited as a need for these tournaments to exist. The CBI came into existence the year after Akron went 26-7 and lost the MAC title game on a 30-foot bank shot at the buzzer and then was snubbed not only by the NCAA selection committee but by the incredibly corrupt good ole boy NIT selection committee.

Akron was a program mentioned by name by the founders of the CBI. The CiT came soon after as a tournament to help level the playing field between the mid- and low majors and the traditional power schools.

How are these tournaments, other than the pay-to-play, garbage compared to the NIT?

• Like 1

Done (per GoZips.com).

"After evaluating our current position, I feel it is in the best interest of our players and our program not to play in the postseason this year," Dambrot said. "We have several players nursing injuries and have missed a lot of class time over the past few weeks. We would like to thank the postseason tournament committees for their interest in having us continue our season."

I've made it pretty clear here over the years that I really trust Coach Dambrot's judgment. It's not that he doesn't make mistakes like all the rest of us. It's just that he knows his players better and more about basketball in general than all the rest of us, so he's more likely to be correct in his decisions than we are. That's not meant to discourage anyone from posting their opinions. That's just my opinion. It's fun for us fans to discuss various scenarios, and that's really what this forum is all about. But I knew the minute I heard his radio interview after last night's game that the Zips were not likely to accept a post-season tournament bid.

I've always been in favor of going for a CBI or CIT offer in previous seasons. So I saw some thoughts posted here by those in favor of doing it this season that reminded me of things I'd said in the past. But what Coach Dambrot said last night got me to thinking about the specific circumstances of this season's team. It started off the season with a lot of potential and fell short of its goals due to a number of unforeseen circumstances that have left a lot of players missing or hurting. I think Coach Dambrot looked at the big picture and used good judgment in turning down the CBI/CIT offers this season.

As Dr Z so aptly said, cash in the chips and go home. The chips in this case were discovering that this team is really resilient in coming back from multiple player problems that would have devastated most teams. We lost some good players and discovered that some players were capable of more than we'd imagined. Among the chips cashed in is the streak of 21+ win seasons, which some may value less than others but which undoubtedly has some real value. Considering all the circumstances, it was a season to be proud of without trying to extend it. Let everyone heal, get reinvigorated and come back next season with some new blood and even higher goals.

MAC road record 2-7. before you go to a postseason tournament, why don't you get to .500 on the road in your conference. All this talk about making a run for success next year ala VCU.....is a load of crap. Sorry.......but KD did the right thing in turning down any postseason game. Send your seniors off.....heal your injured , recover and play another day.

Now that the season is over, I have a question.

Do you all think we were a better team with or without Tree?

From a fan's sperpective: Better. But I'm not sure all that much better. 3-4 games that we lost this year could have been won if we'd have Tree as part of the inside game. The problem with having Tree (which we saw last year) is that the team became over reliant on him. Without Tree the new guys had to find how to thrive together.

From a coach's perspective: IDK? Getting into a domestic confrontation with another person, who happens to be the star player of another team, can bring a lot of nonsense to the locker room I'd assume.

Now that the season is over, I have a question. Do you all think we were a better team with or without Tree?

We would have been better this year with Tree. We will be a better team next year because Tree was not on the team this year. He was a focus many times on the offensive end of the court. IMO, I think sometimes he was a simplistic offensive option too many times. I see the potential for more offensive creativity developing since he has departed.

• Like 1

My thoughts on Tree. I'd say we were worse in his absence. What this team lacked the most was a "go to guy." A guy you can get the ball to in a clutch and count on him to go get an important hoop. Tree could generally go one on one, back a guy down and do that. He also gave us a tougher presence, not unlike Moss from Buffalo. His absence this year gave some players a chance to see some time that will help us in the future, but I think it hurt us this season.

My thoughts on Tree. I'd say we were worse in his absence. What this team lacked the most was a "go to guy." A guy you can get the ball to in a clutch and count on him to go get an important hoop. Tree could generally go one on one, back a guy down and do that. He also gave us a tougher presence, not unlike Moss from Buffalo. His absence this year gave some players a chance to see some time that will help us in the future, but I think it hurt us this season.

Well said!!

We would have punched our ticket to the Dance this year with Tree, but would not have been as good next year.