Game 11—Buffalo Bulls

johnnyzip84

Awesome to see the offense lead the way today and jump out to an early lead.

Tommy Woodson had a fantastic game and tied the school record for touchdowns in a half. Radio said he only threw 7 times in the second half. He sure made them count.

Really happy to see Alexander have such a great game and Hundley a chance to rest.

The offensive line was much better today. Really nice to see. They will have a tough road against the Can't D.

Bowl Eligible!

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Like 1

It's ridiculous because they were not fouls for fighting or dirty play (Personal Fouls). They were Unsportsmanlike for Celebrating. Ridiculous.

Maybe they feel obligated to flag for what I considered "marginal celebration". But why a disqualification?

I get that they restrict celebrations to keep everything under control, but calling they were mild celebrations, not even close to taunting.

The rules say players with 2 personal fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct are automatically ejected.

It's looking like we'll need another win to get into a bowl.

Still, this win tonight takes a tremendous amount of pressure off the Zips for when they play Can't this "Frye-day". Can you imagine if we needed a win against them to get eligible, in a rivalry game against a team with nothing to lose?

Several things, Stayed for the entire game. If the coaches don't get in to Davis' ass and tell him to act like he he has been there before and he has, the refs will be 'looking' for him and nail him again and again. The last one was was BS,but MAC officials are idiots. Can't lose him in any more games.

That said Davis made some important grabs today. Woodson played his best game at QB. He still made some bonehead decisions BUT,he did not turn the ball over. The O line finally blocked for the run. When your back up RB get over 100,thats the O line. The D played a lot of 2 deep,finally. Amato let his front 7 control the line of scrimmage.

Woodson seems to be getting better at least in the passing department.

As was necessary, Akron got in front early, and DID NOT TURN THE BALL OVER. The Defense could play its game and not the game UB wanted to play. First hurdle overcome.

Can't is a much better D. They will pressure Woodson and keep the game low scoring. Their offense is terrible but that means nothing on Friday.

It takes a win against Can't to get to a bowl.

I watched Woodson during much of the first half. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I liked what I saw in him inbetween plays. I saw him on numerous occasions directing the other players, which I'd never saw Pohl do. TW13 still makes some boneheaded plays and overthrows some recievers, but I'm looking forward to see if he can polish his game with an offseason and camp to work as the starter and not No. 3 on the depth chart.

I watched Woodson during much of the first half. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I liked what I saw in him inbetween plays. I saw him on numerous occasions directing the other players, which I'd never saw Pohl do. TW13 still makes some boneheaded plays and overthrows some recievers, but I'm looking forward to see if he can polish his game with an offseason and camp to work as the starter and not No. 3 on the depth chart.

Even more encouraging to me was his sideline demeanor ..... High fiving the defense, special teams and firing up his O-line !!! Sorry haters, the kid has made progress for sure. Still got a lot of growth opportunity, but much progress

• Like 2

A few more comments on posts.

1) I was pretty quick last year to tout Tommy Woodson after a good performance in a close game against OU when he was forced into his first start, followed by a great first half against Ball State. But then that 2nd half at Ball State imploded. I thought we might never see him again, especially after he started the year 3rd on the depth chart. But, maybe all he needed was the ability he showed last year, plus a little more work and maturity. It sure seems that way.

2) I've said all along since late October that we needed 7 wins to get to a bowl. All of these numbers that made people speculate that we'd get in with 6 seemed like it would be questionable. That looks to be the case.

3) Does anyone else wonder why we didn't employ this defensive strategy against BG? A team with a quick, high efficiency offense similar to the one Buffalo has? It would seem somewhat obvious to me that the front 7 can play against anyone, and just let the DBs sit back in 2-deep coverage, make the offense have to make plays, and concentrate on breaking on passes that all happen in front of them.

Edited by skip-zip

Excited? Elated? Ecstatic? Nope. Far beyond that. I remember everything since '05 and the humiliating, disheartening, sitting alone in an empty stadium, single digit temperature, pride swallowing, embarrassing, gut wrenching garbage football that Akron has had to endure. I cannot describe how happy I am for these kids to have something to be genuinely proud of. Shout the alma mater out with pride. Oh, and if you do nothing else in this life, take whatever you have left and use it to whoop the hell out of Can't state on Friday!

• Like 2

Excited? Elated? Ecstatic? Nope. Far beyond that. I remember everything since '05 and the humiliating, disheartening, sitting alone in an empty stadium, single digit temperature, pride swallowing, embarrassing, gut wrenching garbage football that Akron has had to endure. I cannot describe how happy I am for these kids to have something to be genuinely proud of. Shout the alma mater out with pride. Oh, and if you do nothing else in this life, take whatever you have left and use it to whoop the hell out of Can't state on Friday!

+100000000000

Several things, Stayed for the entire game. If the coaches don't get in to Davis' ass and tell him to act like he he has been there before and he has, the refs will be 'looking' for him and nail him again and again. The last one was was BS,but MAC officials are idiots. Can't lose him in any more games. \

Give it a rest. It did not hurt the team, and I think it was good for them to celebrate. This isn't a serial problem. The seniors have poured their hearts into this program. Let them enjoy it and drop the Grinch act.

I loved how he quickly led the team down the field to answer the 1H UB score. I loved seeing zero turnovers in the final stats. Tommy has played his guts out this season and has progressed, consistently. Really excited about 2 more years of a Woodson to Lane connection.

Our stupid penalties (except the 2 that shouldn't have been called against Davis,) have pretty much disappeared. Special teams played good enough today. It was finally the game where the balls seemed to bounce our way. It was an all around pleasure to watch, except for the officiating.

Enjoy it until Monday AM practice ..... Then Bowden has (IMO) the most important three days of practice of his Akron career ........ We have got to take this momentum into the Can't State game and finish at 7-5 ...... Bowden cannot allow a let down Friday

Spot on. I'm getting butterflies already.

I know a lot will say "it was only Buffalo", but I will Give credit to Milwee and the play calling ..... I have beaten on him all season but for the most part, I think he called the best game all season ...... Gotta give props when it's due

And hopefully the o-line play this week will carry on into Friday because Can't State D is definitely better

Even more encouraging to me was his sideline demeanor ..... High fiving the defense, special teams and firing up his O-line !!! Sorry haters, the kid has made progress for sure. Still got a lot of growth opportunity, but much progress

And he's a sophomore...best potential in a Zips QB in a long time. Not to hate on Pohl, he is the Sophomore who had the most potential before TW13, but his potential fizzled out unfortunately.

I REALLY hope the emphasis is on the O-Line in recruiting ... Erickson and Ritz have gotten some good experience this season and done well. There are some young guys coming up (from what I hear), but I still think a couple solid transfers and maybe a graduate senior would help tremendously .......

Before I read another post about the improved "play calling" yesterday, I want to see if anyone wants to be specific.

1) We ran a ton of read option.

2) We went after a lot of long balls in the passing game.

They worked yesterday against a mediocre defense, at best. They worked against Louisiana and Miami too.

We were able to block better in the run game, and got some separation and some accurate throws in the passing game. They didn't defend us as well as some other teams, and we may have executed much better too.

I'm not trying to deny credit to the offensive play callers, nor was I ever openly critical of their play calling in other games. I just didn't see anything that was any different about what we were choosing to do offensively yesterday.

Edited by skip-zip

I get that they restrict celebrations to keep everything under control, but calling they were mild celebrations, not even close to taunting.

The rules say players with 2 personal fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct are automatically ejected.

The second foul was called because he ran onto the field from the sidelines(he was not involved in the play) without his helmet on.

d. A player who intentionally removes his helmet during the down commits a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct
(Rule 9-2-1-a-1-i).(f) A player removing his helmet after the ball is dead and before he is in the team area (Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).

http://www.ncfafootball.com/resources/Rules/FR15.pdf

Before I read another post about the improved "play calling" yesterday, I want to see if anyone wants to be specific.

1) We ran a ton of read option.

2) We went after a lot of long balls in the passing game.

They worked yesterday against a mediocre defense, at best. They worked against Louisiana and Miami too.

We were able to block better in the run game, and got some separation and some accurate throws in the passing game. They didn't defend us as well as some other teams, and we may have executed much better too.

I'm not trying to deny credit to the offensive play callers, nor was I ever openly critical of their play calling in other games. I just didn't see anything that was any different about what we were choosing to do offensively yesterday.

Both views are actually right.

We.also ran a couple of bubble screens that were very successful, which was a little different, but mostly the same stuff we have seen all year. I think the big difference was in timing. Fewer QB draws on 3rd downs and more aggressive passing, period. A lot of the difference, to me, was that we were able to convert when we needed to convert. It didn't seem like the UB secondary was very good, at all. Tommy picked them apart all night. I thought his passing was much more accurate, too. Some balls were thrown to receivers who seemed to stop running or were just well defended but the pass was on the money.

One interesting thing I heard on the pregame show, driving out was that TB mentioned they had hoped to be using the TE more but with Williams' injuries, and the other TEs not working out as well, they had not been able to do this. In addition to catches from Williams, there is a noticeable difference in pass protection when he is in the game.

It's interesting how teams match up differently against each other and how you really can't use common opponents to determine how good or bad we are. There is a ton lf parity in the MAC. That being said, it was really nice to take it to UB after last year's pummeling on national TV.

I REALLY hope the emphasis is on the O-Line in recruiting ... Erickson and Ritz have gotten some good experience this season and done well. There are some young guys coming up (from what I hear), but I still think a couple solid transfers and maybe a graduate senior would help tremendously .......

It has definitely been on the OL. K have been following visits and offers on Twitter. We are going after JUCO OL and JS OL. I noticed several players of various positions taking visits yesterday (Twitter comments) and you could see the found the win exciting. That's the type experience that can sway a recruit's choice.

The crowd was small, but they were into the game and the band especially did a great job cheering on the team. The student section was more or less empty. It's tough to draw crowd with last night's weather.

TB addressed the crowd, briefly after the game, but was pretty difficult to understand because he was so loud and excited. It was like, "bhjskhfvdksljfvhlksdhvkjlsdfvhjesfvlbjsfjvl....bowl." You didn't need to understand his words to understand how he felt.

On a side note, was it me, or did the D deliver some of the most punishing hits I have seen all year?

Edited by zipsoutsider