Famous Potato Bowl

GoZips88

Zips soccer final four.

Akron football with a bowl win!!!!

And Akron basketball looking so far so good.....

Best sports year ever?

Looking at 2015 as a whole, you can add

- Women's Basketball in the WNIT

- Shawn Barber winning gold at IAAF Track & Field World Championships

also, Former Soccer Head Coach, Caleb Porter, and former players, Cameron Knowles, Pablo Moreira, Darlington Nagbe, Ben Zemanski, and Michael Nanchoff win MLS Cup [with the Portland Timbers]

2015 has been a GREAT year to be a Zips fan and University of Akron alumnus. Go Zips! This Is Akron!

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/marla-ridenour-zips-defied-expectations-to-lead-ua-to-possible-program-changing-bowl-breakthrough-1.649376#

Another nice article by The Marla.

EDIT:

And a postgame article by Marla.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/famous-idaho-potato-bowl-akron-23-utah-state-21-zips-secure-first-bowl-victory-in-school-history-1.649321

Apparently the ABJ sent Marla to Boise to cover the game. I'm all for it if Marla is the new Zips' beat writer.

GT gives the impression that not only is he lazy, but that the Zips aren't worth his time.

Edited by Blue & Gold

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/marla-ridenour-zips-defied-expectations-to-lead-ua-to-possible-program-changing-bowl-breakthrough-1.649376#

EDIT:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/famous-idaho-potato-bowl-akron-23-utah-state-21-zips-secure-first-bowl-victory-in-school-history-1.649321

Apparently the ABJ sent Marla to Boise to cover the game. I'm all for it if Marla is the new Zips' beat writer.

GT gives the impression that not only is he lazy, but that the Zips aren't worth his time.

Couldn't agree more. There are a few sports writers at the ABJ that earn their paycheck. Lloyd, Marla, and maybe Ulrich.

The Robert Stein story is impressive. There were a lot of people who stepped up yesterday. Pratt had the best game of his career, Stein 3 for 3, Givens with the interception and two key pass break ups. Jatavis just being Jatavis.

I will admit I was ready to write them off after the CMU loss especially after getting blown up at BG the game before. But the way they pulled it together and closed out the season, 5 wins in a row, I don't remember any other year closing out with winning streak like that. Thank you seniors for sticking with the program, thank you to all the transfers who believed something could be accomplished here.

Looking forward to watching Woodson to Lane in 2016.

What can one say!? Its been a decade since there was this much interest in the football program. I wasn't expecting a ZIPS win but it didn't take long for that defense to assert itself on USU. OK they got the benefit of a fortunate call by the officials but that happens in all games In the time I have been watching Akron play football and that goes back into the '60s,I don't remember an Akron defense being as dominant week in and week out(with a couple exceptions) as this one has been pretty much all season. This has to be a really emotional win for Chuck Amato as it was for the entire team. Given what he has been through personally and career wise it might be one of his best coaching jobs.

Hope they tack on a couple more years to Bowden's contract since it looks like he has gotten it turned. Hoping this will help recruiting and they can build on it next season. Win the freaking MAC so there is a game closer to home.

EDIT:

100% agree.

The Robert Stein story is impressive. There were a lot of people who stepped up yesterday. Pratt had the best game of his career, Stein 3 for 3, Givens with the interception and two key pass break ups. Jatavis just being Jatavis.

I will admit I was ready to write them off after the CMU loss especially after getting blown up at BG the game before. But the way they pulled it together and closed out the season, 5 wins in a row, I don't remember any other year closing out with winning streak like that. Thank you seniors for sticking with the program, thank you to all the transfers who believed something could be accomplished here.

Looking forward to watching Woodson to Lane in 2016.

Nice to see Robert's story and for him to have a little recognition.

In addition to lane, I think we can also look forward to seeing Coney with some nice catches next year, too.

Well that will be one game I’ll probably watch a dozen times or so, just to soak it all in. There are so many intriguing little stories within the big story that it would be difficult to number them. And the big story is huge – nothing short of the pumping life into a football program that was clearly teetering on a possible downward slide only 5 games ago. This 5 game win streak, and all the additional unprecedented feats that go along with it, finally gives TB and his staff the ammunition they’ve previously lacked when hitting the recruiting trail. I realize the 2016 class is currently low on numbers, but I would wager that both the quality and quantity will improve greatly before February 3rd rolls around.

Here are some of my favorite little stories that emerged from the game:

• A perfect Stein – Robert’s 3 of 3 on FGs to close out his career was merely the exterior surface of a fantastic story that I’m not sure too many of us fully understood before TB enlightened everyone during the post-game press conference. As one of the numerous UA engineering grads who follow this board, this subplot resonated strongly with me and is one of the most inspiring I’ve ever come across as a Zip fan. Robert declining the offer to have his scholarship reinstated is the definition of a selfless act – what a breath of fresh air!
  • Woodson to Pratt – I can’t agree more with K92 regarding the enjoyment I experienced in seeing Andrew have a career (literally) day after many fans (including yours truly) were critical of his mistakes over the years. There is another aspect to this, however. When I heard French say during the pregame that Austin Wolf would be unavailable (groin), I wondered who would step up knowing Lane would see plenty of double coverage. Andrew certainly came through, but I also give credit to Tommy for recognizing the mismatch and exploiting it.
  • Best Zip LB EVER – Jatavis didn’t need to do anything yesterday to further convince me of this, but that sack strip and ensuing return by Coe will forever go down with Getsy to Hixon, Andre Jones game ending KO return, and Daron Alcorn’s 56 yard FG to beat UT in Zip football D1-A/FBS folklore. And who just happens to make the tackle on USU’s botched/fake FG in the 1st half? I’m not sure a Zip player was ever more valuable to his team than JB1.
  • Fiery TB – Sure his hair during the Penn State game last year was reminiscent of the Heat Miser, but the Tater Bowl ended up being the one where his burning drive to win was most prominently displayed. I believe that was the most competitive emotion he’s shown in his UA career and I really think the players fed off of it, especially after going down 14-13.
  • Sweet Emotion – Although I did not hear the interviews 1st hand, the post-game radio discussion with French/Dunn and Cody/Jatavis in particular were apparently quite emotional given the amount of adversity anyone associated with the program has withstood over the years. I hope I get to hear a recording of this someday. For those of you who heard it, I’d be curious to get your take.

Now where can I get me a 2015 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Champion tee-shirt?

Go Zips!!!!

• Like 2

Johnnyzip84 - that was an excellent post.

:A perfect Stein – Robert’s 3 of 3 on FGs to close out his career was merely the exterior surface of a fantastic story that I’m not sure too many of us fully understood before TB enlightened everyone during the post-game press conference. As one of the numerous UA engineering grads who follow this board, this subplot resonated strongly with me and is one of the most inspiring I’ve ever come across as a Zip fan. Robert declining the offer to have his scholarship reinstated is the definition of a selfless act – what a breath of fresh air!

This is a good reminder that there are a lot of things going on that we will never know about. Robert's a great kid with a bright future.

• Woodson to Pratt – I can’t agree more with K92 regarding the enjoyment I experienced in seeing Andrew have a career (literally) day after many fans (including yours truly) were critical of his mistakes over the years. There is another aspect to this, however. When I heard French say during the pregame that Austin Wolf would be unavailable (groin), I wondered who would step up knowing Lane would see plenty of double coverage. Andrew certainly came through, but I also give credit to Tommy for recognizing the mismatch and exploiting it.

Pratt delivered when we needed him to deliver. Hat's off to him and Tommy for capitalizing on the situation.

• Best Zip LB EVER – Jatavis didn’t need to do anything yesterday to further convince me of this, but that sack strip and ensuing return by Coe will forever go down with Getsy to Hixon, Andre Jones game ending KO return, and Daron Alcorn’s 56 yard FG to beat UT in Zip football D1-A/FBS folklore. And who just happens to make the tackle on USU’s botched/fake FG in the 1st half? I’m not sure a Zip player was ever more valuable to his team than JB1.

It could be argued that he could have easily received the game MVP. ESPN announcers gave it to TW13, also arguably worthy, and CBS Sports gave it to Cody Grice who played a fantastic defensive game and delivered on offense, too. I think it was an excellent team win. However, I agree about Brown being in a category all by himnself. Seems like a stellar individual and can't wait to see him on Sundays.

• Fiery TB – Sure his hair during the Penn State game last year was reminiscent of the Heat Miser, but the Tater Bowl ended up being the one where his burning drive to win was most prominently displayed. I believe that was the most competitive emotion he’s shown in his UA career and I really think the players fed off of it, especially after going down 14-13

I would agree. It seemed that he became more emotional as the season went along and it was nothing but a joy to watch him be emotional with the kids. TW13 looked like he bawled his eyes out for a long time after the game. He was emotionally spent. I think even more than his athleticism, what made him the right fit for the Zips this year was his heart. He played one gutsy game after another this year and left it all out there on the field yesterday. I think his energy drove this team on the field and helped us sustain drives that we would have lost on in the past. He had a lot of growth as a player this year and can't wait to see what an another entire off-season of prep allows him to do in terms of preparation.

• Sweet Emotion – Although I did not hear the interviews 1st hand, the post-game radio discussion with French/Dunn and Cody/Jatavis in particular were apparently quite emotional given the amount of adversity anyone associated with the program has withstood over the years. I hope I get to hear a recording of this someday. For those of you who heard it, I’d be curious to get your take.

I wonder if there is any chance they will post those to their website?

• Like 1

Great season Zips! We've endured some pretty rough seasons, but definitely have seen amazing growth and this bowl game caps it off! Let's win the MAC next season -

Is there any chance Bowden would leave? I read an article about Tulane targeting him, but don't see Bowden going there

• Like 1

Great season Zips! We've endured some pretty rough seasons, but definitely have seen amazing growth and this bowl game caps it off! Let's win the MAC next season -

Is there any chance Bowden would leave? I read an article about Tulane targeting him, but don't see Bowden going there

The reports I saw said that Bowden expressed interest in Tulane, but the feeling wasnt mutual. I don't even know if I believe any of it.

To answer your question though, I can't see him leaving. Father Time isn't in his side to get a bigger gig. Not only that, I really don't think he will want to go through another rebuild at his age. He wouldn't be stepping into a winner if he leaves. Besides, he has a pretty sweet gig here to be honest and I am sure he wants to continue to try and build on the momentum the program currently has.

• Like 1

I really do hope my prediction about Bowden is correct, about Bowden retiring as head coach of the Zips. What a story would that be!? Former graduate coach from a famous lineage, who became (in some level) disgraced on the national stage after being very successful, comes back to the program at the lowest of the low, brings it back from the brink, loses a friend in the process, and on top of all that, finds a new wife.

I think Akron is going to be a very special place for Coach Bowden even if he does leave eventually in the future. I for one, hope he stays around, as the official ZNO Bowden cheerleader.

• Like 1

Did anyone else see who was with TW13 after the game was over and he was all emotional? It was Tra'von Chapman. I'd really like to see the coaches find a way to get him involved next year.

I would like to see it as well. Everything I have seen from him makes me think he has kept a good attitude, which would be hard to do given his situation, He's a heck of an athlete, I think he could find somewhere to contribute if he doesn;t want to be a back up the remainder of his career.

• Like 1