Famous Potato Bowl

GoZips88

I really do hope my prediction about Bowden is correct, about Bowden retiring as head coach of the Zips. What a story would that be!? Former graduate coach from a famous lineage, who became (in some level) disgraced on the national stage after being very successful, comes back to the program at the lowest of the low, brings it back from the brink, loses a friend in the process, and on top of all that, finds a new wife.

I think Akron is going to be a very special place for Coach Bowden even if he does leave eventually in the future. I for one, hope he stays around, as the official ZNO Bowden cheerleader.

I think if it is left up to him that there may be a good chance he would finish up here, although if a Power 5 came calling I think he may listen. I just don't think that many schools of their stature would be looking to hire a guy at his age unless there is some previous connection between he and the school. I really think if Florida State or especially his own alma mater of West Virginia came calling that he may not be able to pass up those opportunities.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/marla-ridenour-zips-defied-expectations-to-lead-ua-to-possible-program-changing-bowl-breakthrough-1.649376#

Another nice article by The Marla.

EDIT:

And a postgame article by Marla.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/famous-idaho-potato-bowl-akron-23-utah-state-21-zips-secure-first-bowl-victory-in-school-history-1.649321

Apparently the ABJ sent Marla to Boise to cover the game. I'm all for it if Marla is the new Zips' beat writer.

GT gives the impression that not only is he lazy, but that the Zips aren't worth his time.

Was this comment necessary in a sports column :eek:

"They seemed genuinely excited about the cross-country trip that filled three planes, at a cost of $200,000 per plane, with 120 players, a 250-member band and the traveling party."

• Like 1

"They seemed genuinely excited about the cross-country trip that filled three planes, at a cost of $200,000 per plane, with 120 players, a 250-member band and the traveling party."

That comment stuck out to me as well.

There are people that can't just enjoy something without bringing it down.

That comment stuck out to me as well.

There are people that can't just enjoy something without bringing it down.

I agree, and I chided Marla Ridenour on twitter for her comment (on twitter) "Small crowd for @IDPotatoBowl @ZipsFB". Was it really necessary to tweet that negative comment. Folks who were watching could see that for themselves.

I'm so pleased the Zips were there and won and happy for all those who were able to travel. I totally support UA for sending all whom they did.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Akron will take the longest active win streak of all the Ohio D-I schools into the off-season.

I looked it up yesterday and there is a possibility the Zips could have the fourth longest winning streak in college football heading into next season. Need Cincinnati to beat San Diego State (tonight) and TCU to beat Oregon. There may be one other team we need to lose (can't remember). That happens and you'd have:

1. CFB champ

2. Western Kentucky (6)

2. Tennessee or Northwestern (6) ... They play each other

4. Akron (5)

Looking a bit further, there is a slim chance Akron could have the longest streak in the nation early next year. Here's how it happens.

1. Anybody but Michigan State wins the CFP. Then lose the opener next season ... Bama against USC (in Dallas); Clemson at Auburn; or Oklahoma at Houston. MSU plays Furman in the opener, then has a bye.

2. Akron beats VMI.

3.Tennessee or Northwestern lose their openers. Tennessee against Appalachian State or Northwestern against WMU. I'm rooting for Tennessee over Northwestern, though, because if Tennessee wins their opener, they have Virginia Tech in Week 2 in what will be a crazy environment at Bristol Motor Speedway in front of 150,000. Northwestern has Illinois State in Week 2. So Tennessee has a better chance of dropping an early game.

4. Western Kentucky has a week 1 bye, meaning if the Zips beat VMI, they would be tied with WKU at 6. WKU opens Week 2 at Alabama (same day Akron plays at Wisconsin). So if the other teams all lose their openers, the Zips and Hilltopers would be tied for No. 1. And I think Akron has a better shot at beating Wisconsin than WKU beating Bama.

A big if, but if Akron can shock Wisconsin, there definitely is a decent shot that their 7 game streak could be No. 1 in college football. Even if it doesn't happen, just talking about a scenario that isn't too far fetched is something that would've been so laughable, no point of even trying to think of some off the wall scenario, even a year ago. But we are actually at that point where it is no longer laughable to think about it.

BTW, as for Bowden, I think the fact that all he has to do is look at what his father did at Florida State, is reason why I think he COULD retire as a Zip. Of course if WVU or FSU come calling (or any of the 20 can't turn down jobs), he will leave. But that is pretty unlikely.

Plus, the Bowden family seems to place a high value on the legacy the name has on the history of college football. What is better for the family lineage than to say that "Bowdens" were responsible for two of the biggest turnarounds in CFB history?

Look at where Bobby took FSU. Doak Campbell was a 15,000 seat stadium when it was built. It was still only 25,000-40,000 early on in Bobby's early years. He turned it into an 80,000 seater, and FSU into a power. Here is a good site that shows the transformation of Doak Campbell.

http://stadiafile.com/2012/08/31/7-doak-campbell-stadium/

Bobby built FSU along the same lines Terry could build Akron.

1. FSU was a large public school that was transforming from a women's college to a full-fledged state university. Akron is a large public school that is transforming from an open-enrollment public to a polytechnic focused school.

2. FSU was in a talent-rich area for HS football players. Akron is in a talent-rich area for HS football players.

3. If you took a time machine back to 1963, I'm sure Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc., fans were laughing at the thought FSU could be a power. In 2015, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame fans are laughing at the thoughts Akron could be a power.

• Like 1

I agree, and I chided Marla Ridenour on twitter for her comment (on twitter) "Small crowd for @IDPotatoBowl @ZipsFB". Was it really necessary to tweet that negative comment. Folks who were watching could see that for themselves.

I'm so pleased the Zips were there and won and happy for all those who were able to travel. I totally support UA for sending all whom they did.

Thanks for the kind words. Somewhat off topic. but something I have noticed on this board is that there sometimes seems to be some politics between supporting one sport over another and fans who stick to or stay out of one forum altogether. I hope with the success of all of the big Zips programs this year, we can all support each other. I realize some people just favor some sports, but we're all we've got and we need to stick together. Go Zips and Merry Christmas Zipsnation!

Edited by LZip
  • Like 2

Thanks for the kind words. Somewhat off topic. but something I have noticed on this board is that there sometimes seems to be some politics between supporting one sport over another and fans who stick to or stay out of one forum altogether. I hope with the success of all of the big Zips programs this year, we can all support each other. I realize some people just favor some sports, but we're all we've got and we need to stick together. Go Zips and Merry Christmas Zipsnation!

No doubt. This is by far the best overall athletic department in the MAC. UA has overtaken Can't (which is also way above the rest of the league) a couple of years ago, and Akron is further distancing itself from Can't this year, with the gap growing larger.

It's a good time to be a Zip!

Edit: for some perspective:

Soccer: NCAA final four (best MAC program, period).

Men's track: top 10 national finish; a national champion (Barber); a top 3 finish (Clayton Murphy); Pan Am gold (Barber and Murphy!); World Champion (Barber) and world semifinalist (Murphy, 800). And Murphy was just a sophomore... Too bad Barber went pro or this year's track team had an outside shot at the NCAA title. ... The women are also very good (both teams were top 25 nationally in the rankings at one point last year).

Men's basketball: currently no. 49 in the KenPom rankings (7 MAC title games in the last 9 years, 3 titles); women won the MAC two years ago and are still one of the best in the league.

Swimming: Two-time defending MAC champs, right? And favorite to win again.

Now even football is creeping in the mix.

Edited by wadszip
  • Like 1

Thank you. It was so much fun hosting 3 NCAA soccer matches and going to KC, then going to Las Vegas to see Mens Basketball on the 21st and 23rd and watching the Potato Bowl in one of the lounges with numerous Zips fans. That was topped off by flying home on the same United red eye flight as the Basketball team. Very nice of the United flight attendants when we arrived to welcome us to Cleveland and then say We would like to congratulate the Akron Zips Men's Basketball team on their 2 wins in Las Vegas ... which was followed by passengers' applause. It's been a great Fall.

• Like 4

Hey LZip. I realize that I've been too critical of Zips Football out of frustration. I love all Zips sports. Wish I could support them all the same, but don't have the time to do so. I've gotten very close to the Men's Soccer staff and always stick around to talk with the players as well as going to many of their road games. It will remain my first love as long as we have a coaching staff that works to keep our program at or near the top. I hope that you and others have tempered your expectations and realize, that for various reasons, it is extremely difficult to do what Caleb & Company did in 2009 & 2010. Jared has proven he's capable of fielding a Championship team. Although they didn't bring home the trophy, they certainly were capable of doing so.

As for Football, I hope that this season is the beginning of a series of winning seasons and bowl appearances. Being able to point to the accomplishments this season when recruiting should be a help. It's also time for students and alumni to take pride in what we have. We have a good, competent coaching staff and good players. The next step is to provide them decent, supportive attendance. There is no excuse for not coming to see Zips Football. And, yes, as someone stated long ago, I don't care about the uniforms as long as they win. I know what they wore at the Potato Bowl, but I don't care whether or not anyone liked it. The Zips were there, and the Zips got the W and brought home the trophy. I look forward to seeing the team bring it to one of the home basketball games in January. Maybe they should serve special Idaho Potato fries at the concession stand that night.

Merry Christmas and Go Zips!

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

The Cincinnati Sycamore High School product [stein] finished as UA’s career scoring leader with 268 points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7UK2pE0QvI

I

Edited by ZippyRulz

Back to grey Ohio today. Couldn't be more excited about the Zips victory. What a great way to end a season. Hopefully this is the springboard the program needed. If you ever wonder what a bowl can do for your program, go watch the game where nobody is familiar with the teams playing. I happen to watch the game at the Clevelander in South Beach. By the end of the game the entire bar knew who the Zips were. This included people from other countries. Anytime I wore Zips gear around town after the game I received comments. I now realize how much a bowl game in Florida could have helped our recruiting. I still think the game helped recruiting there, but it would have helped even more playing in the state. Here's to next year.

Here are a few phone photos. Woody on tv at the Clevelander, and ESPN setting up on Ocean Drive Monday. Town is getting ready for Clemson Oklahoma.

woody_sb.jpg

espn_sb.jpg

Just thought I'd share that I heard on the radio before leaving for Akron over the holidays: the talking heads on local Baltimore sports talk radio were commenting on what an amazing job Coach Bowden has done in turning around the progrum and achieving our best season ever. They said we are a program on a dramatic rise and are happy that we are not on Maryland's future schedules. :rock:

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 1

Final rankings from bleacherreport here. They also included our picture/short synopsis about Akron in the slide that featured us. We're ranked 76th, respectable. Though they do have the Utah State Aggies ranked ahead of us...6 slots and they lost to us...and we kinda had more wins, so I don't know how they rationalize that but W/E.

Edited by Balsy

Final rankings from bleacherreport here. They also included our picture/short synopsis about Akron in the slide that featured us. We're ranked 76th, respectable. Though they do have the Utah State Aggies ranked ahead of us...6 slots and they lost to us...and we kinda had more wins, so I don't know how they rationalize that but W/E.

Now we're in the Mountain West. I wish we would pick one conference and stick with it :rolleyes:

• Like 1

. . .overheard while standing in line to get my picture taken with the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. . .

Coach Bowden was telling the guy in front of me that 2015 was just the first step in establishing the run game. He said that rushing productivity will double in 2016.

That means Woodson will rush for 1182 yards and two running backs to be named later will rush for 1822 and 998 yards, respectively.

'16 is looking to be a great year!

. . .overheard while standing in line to get my picture taken with the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. . .

Coach Bowden was telling the guy in front of me that 2015 was just the first step in establishing the run game. He said that rushing productivity will double in 2016.

That means Woodson will rush for 1182 yards and two running backs to be named later will rush for 1822 and 998 yards, respectively.

'16 is looking to be a great year!

Then Coach Bowden has something up his sleeve for the O-Line that we don't know about !!! Which would completely ease my mind !!!! And others as well ! Bring it !!