Bobblehead Nights

zippy5

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

As I approach my 50th year on the planet, whether I get a doll or a tassel cap means increasingly less.

Hope whomever gets their dolls enjoys them. And those who don't find the appropriate therapist to make peace with it.

I'm older than you.  And I like collecting all of the Akron bobbleheads.  They are nice little conversation pieces when friends and clients see them, and a good way to demonstrate my pride in Zips Athletics.  And just a little perk for all of the money I've spent.  Call me crazy.  I'll make sure I keep my next appointment with my Psychologist. 

And for the record, I've never owned a "doll". :D 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm older than you.  And I like collecting all of the Akron bobbleheads.  They are nice little conversation pieces when friends and clients see them, and a good way to demonstrate my pride in Zips Athletics.  And just a little perk for all of the money I've spent.  Call me crazy.  I'll make sure I keep my next appointment with my Psychologist. 

And for the record, I've never owned a "doll". :D 

That's why they coined the term "action figure" in the 70s, making it ok for boys to play with dolls.

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Regarding Tassel Cap-gate 2015: At least the students that U-turned through the turnstiles got Akron hats to wear around campus. When I've gone to basketball games I've spotted many of them. If a Zips hat replaced a Buckeye hat on campus, that's a win.

No doubt.  The best benefit is to give out things that will be used and seen in the community, to promote the Zips. 

I just felt badly for all of the people walking in there with their little kids VERY EARLY, and being told that everything was gone.  My wife and I almost gave up our own hats. 

Lets face it, we don't have 100,000 fans. But only having hundreds of hats available when you are advertising a "Hat Giveaway" is not going to be anywhere near enough to cover the expectations of the fans attending an Akron football game. 

Noticed they did something tonight.  They handed out tickets, and the only people who could get them before the half were season ticket holders.  Off the street fans had to wait till at least half-time to get theirs.  Smart, should have done that with the winter hats.

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's sad they have to offer this to get students out to watch a 1st place team.

It isn't, students are in school for...you know, school.  Akron's also still mostly commuter school.  There's never been a good engagement with students on campus or the commuters; it amounts to a sign that reads "Game Today""get in free with Zipcard", I doubt any random student would know the record of the Zips because they're not engaged at all. 

But on a side note:  Zips should do this for Football.  Attend 3/6 home games and you get an entry into a drawing for free tuition.  Attend all 6 you get 3 entries or something like that.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Balsy said:

It isn't, students are in school for...you know, school.  Akron's also still mostly commuter school.  There's never been a good engagement with students on campus or the commuters; it amounts to a sign that reads "Game Today""get in free with Zipcard", I doubt any random student would know the record of the Zips because they're not engaged at all. 

But on a side note:  Zips should do this for Football.  Attend 3/6 home games and you get an entry into a drawing for free tuition.  Attend all 6 you get 3 entries or something like that.  

The idea originates from football. I believe it was done during the 2014 season.

38 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I'm a recent grad that was there when they were building all the new dorms and 22 exchange and all those other right off campus housing projects. It isn't anywhere near the commuter school that it once was. I don't have figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if ~50% of the student body lives within 15 minutes of campus yet maybe 200 students showed up to Tuesday game on a day where there was no class.

I'm a Alumnus of a fraternity on campus and they had an alumni outing for the homecoming game 2 football seasons ago that I went to. I'd say there were about 20 undergrads in attendance. They had a tailgating spot in Lot 9 and they were saying how they tailgate for every game. When it came to game time not a single 1 entered the game. They went to the bar or back home to watch other college games and OSU wasn't even playing at that time.

I don't expect students to plan their lives around Akron sports, I surely didn't, but there surely are a good number of sports fans on campus. If you could get these guys to attend 2 football and 3 basketball games a year, you would see a huge surge in student attendance. 

Edited by kreed5120

33 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The idea originates from football. I believe it was done during the 2014 season.

I know that, but they didn't to a combined thing with football like they're doing for basketball.  I'm saying:  don't do a 1 game 1 entry thing, that's dumb.  

These student promotions are great to get kids out to the games but then the team has to hold up their end of the bargain and provide an enjoyable experience!  There is nothing worse than bribing someone to attend and present them with a steaming turd!

6d139eca1e0f026754209e176ab0f398.jpg

We now have a great product and a great venue. Time to start filling InfoCision up!

I know the ABJ thinks a 3-5 record rolling into November, with monsoon-esque weather, should have packed the stands...but maybe...just maybe...they're profoundly ignorant?

It will take 2-3 years of winning football, and smart Marketing, to get attendance where it should be (18k+/game average).

It scares me a bit when I see food trucks and bands being relied upon for 2016 Football Marketing (does anyone go to a football game to eat food from a truck, or listen to a crappy cover band?). But time will tell.

43 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It scares me a bit when I see food trucks and bands being relied upon for 2016 Football Marketing

I don't know, some of these look enticing. Clickable guide to northeast ohio food trucks.

This one makes me think of an excellent opportunity for a month long promotion.  :D

• Like 1

A few years back my employer sponsored an Alumni event at Basketball game.  It was a nice event we had food and drink in the student athletic facility across the street. We paid for the event, but it was a very nominal amount. I think tickets were discounted. You could bring as many friends and family as you desired.  It was promoted internally via our company communications. If my recollection is correct, Coach Dambrot stopped by to say a few words and thank everyone. Zippy was present, and our CEO came and mingled.   

The event provided us with a nice company get together and brought back Alumni who had not been back to campus for some time. We had the event two consecutive years then never did it again. If you can get people to come once, they may come back for an additional game or two.

25 minutes ago, tboned said:

A few years back my employer sponsored an Alumni event at Basketball game.  It was a nice event we had food and drink in the student athletic facility across the street. We paid for the event, but it was a very nominal amount. I think tickets were discounted. You could bring as many friends and family as you desired.  It was promoted internally via our company communications. If my recollection is correct, Coach Dambrot stopped by to say a few words and thank everyone. Zippy was present, and our CEO came and mingled.   

The event provided us with a nice company get together and brought back Alumni who had not been back to campus for some time. We had the event two consecutive years then never did it again. If you can get people to come once, they may come back for an additional game or two.

I beieve that is the hope when they do these tuition giveaways for students. Any reasonable student will be there. Free admission to a game, with a chance to win a prize valued over $4000. 

6 minutes ago, AyYo said:

I beieve that is the hope when they do these tuition giveaways for students. Any reasonable student will be there. Free admission to a game, with a chance to win a prize valued over $4000. 

Yeah, that's definitely the plan. Despite my previous comment, I don't mind the promotions. In fact, I think they are great ways of rewarding fans. I just don't like how it doesn't necessarily reward the true fans. I'd just prefer a system where they announce at the beginning of the season that they will be holding a lottery at the end of the season for 1 free semester of tuition. Every game you attend is an entry. If Jimmy attends 15 games then he gets 15 entries, if Sally couldn't make the Christmas break games and attended 10 she gets 10 entries, and if Tommy got drug to a single game by friends he gets 1.