Eastern Michigan 16-16 v. Akron 24-7 at noon Thursday

1981 grad

I have seen WMU as Akron-lite the last few years. You always know what you are going to get, a well coached team that plays group basketball. There is a reason that Hawkins and Dambrot have both been around forever. I am comfortable in knowing the the Zips are the better team this year though. 

With Ball State, you don't know what team is going to show up. They could win by 20 or lose by 30 any given night. 

I much prefer the known quantity in WMU.

36 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Scrambling for a loose ball.  One knee to one head.   Lots of writhing and blood.  Hobbled off floor.  Felt really bad for them.  But Cardinals leading...Inspired them.

A ball state fan on MACBBS just posted that Persons received a concussion on the play and needed 9 stitches to close a head wound. Really sad turn of events if that is correct. I'm sure that means that his tournament is finished.

3 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

The stats show 7 total techs (4 on us)!  Where were all the others?  Or is it an error?

I'm watching the replay now -- 17:40 to play 2nd half.  Really strange situation:  Noah has a breakaway layup opp, but for some reason stops about 4 ft from the hoop, and the big guy from EMU pushes Noah with two hands (probably couldn't help running into Noah!)  and WHAT -- Noah gets T'd up???  WHAT in the world happened there??  Almmost funny.  Why did Noah just stop??

I was going to say overall -- this may have been Noah Robatham's best game of the year.  Did just about ALL you hope for!  Especially the little things we expect from a PG.  But that ONE play -- Maybe the strangest play I've seen all year!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm watching the replay now -- 17:40 to play 2nd half.  Really strange situation:  Noah has a breakaway layup opp, but for some reason stops about 4 ft from the hoop, and the big guy from EMU pushes Noah with two hands (probably couldn't help running into Noah!)  and WHAT -- Noah gets T'd up???  WHAT in the world happened there??  Almmost funny.  Why did Noah just stop??

I was going to say overall -- this may have been Noah Robatham's best game of the year.  Did just about ALL you hope for!  Especially the little things we expect from a PG.  But that ONE play -- Maybe the strangest play I've seen all year!  :rolleyes:

Jimond got the T for mouthing off to the guy that took Noah out. 

Noah stopped to intentionally draw contact and got a bit more than he bargained for. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Jimond got the T for mouthing off to the guy that took Noah out. 

Noah stopped to intentionally draw contact and got a bit more than he bargained for. 

You would have thought from the Zips fans that the EMU player made a full tackle and a right upper cut to Noah.  It did look like the EMU player couldn't stop and maybe thought the two-handed push was better than a fill-in body blow.  But that would be giving an EMU player way too much credit.   Read somewhere their player "Mangum? was suspended for this game.   

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

You would have thought from the Zips fans that the EMU player made a full tackle and a right upper cut to Noah.  It did look like the EMU player couldn't stop and maybe thought the two-handed push was better than a fill-in body blow.  But that would be giving an EMU player way too much credit.   Read somewhere their player "Mangum? was suspended for this game.   

To be fair at full speed it looked a lot worse than in the replay. Noah went flying, either because of his size difference or a little bit of extra acting. So I wasn't surprised to see Jimond defend him. 

Also yes their leading score Will Mangum was suspended for a violation of team rules. 

It gave their guy his 4th foul and took him out of the game. I had no problem with it. Noah was obviously wanting the foul, but not sure if he didn't shoot because he felt he would get blocked from behind or if it was because he was wanting to get their guy out of the game.

Edit: I suppose he could have also felt that he would be able to draw the contact and make the shot. 

Edited by kreed5120

The sequence from 4:50 to about 4:40 to play was certainly interesting!  After BD's line-drive FT, Ivey sticks his hand out and gets the steal, goes in for the lay-up -- then, while the camera is isolated on Jimond, all-of--a-sudden you see Noah making a three-pointer!  WOW!  What a game-ending-turn-of-events!  That was all she wrote!

Let's do this again at 12:30 HST tomorrow!  ;)

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

The sequence from 4:50 to about 4:40 to play was certainly interesting!  After BD's line-drive FT, Ivey sticks his hand out and gets the steal, goes in for the lay-up -- then, while the camera is isolated on Jimond, all-of--a-sudden you see Noah making a three-pointer!  WOW!  What a game-ending-turn-of-events! 

I had to go back and look at that again at home.  It was 7 unanswered points in about 30 seconds total.  That was a nice little spurt. Went from a 4 point game to an 11 point game.  A game-changer for sure.  

But it was Josh on the steal and the wide open 3 at the end of the sequence, not Noah.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 8:29 AM, kreed5120 said:

PSA: To those of you watching at home or the office I see this game is suppose to air on Spectrum Sports meaning it might be blacked out on ESPN3. The way around that it to download betternet. I wouldn't recommend doing that on a work PC, but there is a mobile app.

I was at the game yesterday, so I'm not positive, but I heard no VPN necessary. For future reference. 

Thanks for posting this MDZip, I was on the other side of the court and couldn't see. 

20 hours ago, MDZip said:

Antino was boxing out Thompson with a few seconds left, they got a little tangled and Thompson appeared to shove/throw an elbow at Jackson's head. There appeared to be some verbal and maybe some physical retaliation and Thompson and Jackson both got hit with T's. It also happened to be the fifth foul for each so it may have appeared as ejections but were not. I think you could have made a case on the elbow from Thompson for a flagrant II and an ejection but glad the refs just let it finish out and get done with it. On to the semis for the 11th straight year!