PD Article on UA Sports Spending

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Glad to hear a few different voices.  The Info should be / and is / a community treasure.  Just like Canal Park.  We should be proud of it.  I know I am. 

That;s certainly a positive way to look at it. I think we can all agree that the use needs expanded, however. But then again people say the same thing about Browns stadium. Maybe its not easy to attract events to an outdoor stadium in Northeast Ohio.

Edited by LZIp

16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

That;s certainly a positive way to look at it. I think we can all agree that the use needs expanded, however. But then again people say the same thing about Browns stadium. Maybe its not easy to attract events to an outdoor stadium in Northeast Ohio.

Blossom is a much better outdoor venue for concerts. That really limits the options.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Not to mention people like to conveniently forget it would have cost more to renovate the Rubber Bowl. A stadium was needed, get over it.

Yeah, but you're conveniently forgetting the other option of building a Div. III stadium instead :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Not to mention people like to conveniently forget it would have cost more to renovate the Rubber Bowl. A stadium was needed, get over it.

There were options, though.  Scar already done told ya that he wouldn't have built that stadium.

Maybe the U should have gone the UMass/Temple route and played home games at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Maybe we should have dropped football altogether.

Maybe we should have merged with Kent.

Maybe we should all just stop bitching.

Nah.

Not+so+much.gif

• Like 1

Everyone wants to blame the previous guy for their problems. 

"The guy before me left me with these crappy facilities, so I can't win."

"The guy before me built too nice a facility, so we can't fill it."

Larry Williams was hired for one reason - to put butts in InfoCision's seats. He's had time to get the lay-of-the-land. 2017 is a pivotal year. It would be fun to see Zips football have a solid season, draw some crowds, and shut some people up. 

Tuesday November football is a new wild card that isn't Williams' fault. But the first 4 2017 games need to see bigger crowds, and if we are competing for a Championship in November, the Tuesday crowds would be "adequate." Albeit not as inebriated as a weekend crowd. 

The other option is to do what Georgetown does and set your priorities.  Georgetown opts to (attempt to) play top notch D-1 basketball (despite having one of D-1's most inept coaches) while they participate in the Patriot League for sports like football.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stadium, but mediocre .500 football to empty seats makes it a financial albatross.  From what I understand, it is relatively pricey to rent too, which keeps it empty.  

At this juncture, there's no downsizing so.............GO ZIPS!  Dominate Tuesday nights baby.

I do find some irony in the complaining about Zips having football games on Tuesdays, but nobody every peeps a word about the soccer or basketball weekday games. I personally am not a giant fan myself. I know it takes an extra hour of game time than the other spots. I know you want to tailgate. Fact of the matter is if you really want to be there you will be there.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I do find some irony in the complaining about Zips having football games on Tuesdays, but nobody every peeps a word about the soccer or basketball weekday games. I personally am not a giant fan myself. I know it takes an extra hour of game time than the other spots. I know you want to tailgate. Fact of the matter is if you really want to be there you will be there.

True.  My complaint is directed at the MAC and their relative lack of strength with the networks, not the University, the issue of the Tuesday night games.  Also, I think it's expecetd with the other sports as it has gone on for so long and you need weeknight games to come up with a 30 game schedule.

22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

In basketball there are 32 games and teams play 2 games per week. Of course they play a midweek game. I do see people complain when they move our Saturday games to Fridays. A college basketball game is about 2 hours, meanwhile, college football is about 3 1/2. Tailgating is a part of the college football game experience. Its not for college basketball.

Edited by kreed5120

14 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't get why InfoCision itself gets so much grief. If it were filled to 20k on average, which should be easily possible, it would generate sufficient revenue to pay the bills. 

Info Cision is a resource. Figure out a way to fill it, instead of grousing about it. 

I guess we went to different business schools.  You must have gone to the "Field of Dreams" school of business - "build it and they will come".  You think filling the Info to a 20K average should be easy huh.  Tell me, in the last 20 years, how many times have the Zips had over 20K at a single game (let alone average 20K)?  And you wonder why the Info gets grief?  I love the stadium, its beautiful, I wish we had it when I played there.  What I question is that generally when you make a large capital investment ($60M+) quite a bit of justification...facts and figures goes along with it - I would love to see that report......they must have brought Kevin Costner in to sell it.  Funny you make a point about people blaming previous people/administrations for their own problems.  The same guy who I recall blaming "I-coach" and TW for all UA's ills.

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

In basketball there are 32 games and teams play 2 games per week. Of course they play a midweek game. I do see people complain when they move our Saturday games to Fridays. A college basketball game is about 2 hours, meanwhile, college football is about 3 1/2. Tailgating is a part of the college football game experience. Its not for college basketball.

A bunch of excuses. If you really want to go you'll be there. Its an inconvenience once or twice a year. You've got 8 months to plan for it.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

A bunch of excuses. If you really want to go you'll be there. Its an inconvenience once or twice a year. You've got 8 months to plan for it.

I do agree that people will go that want to go. It still isn't apples to apples trying to compare a sport that plays ~32 regular seasons games to 12 and ask why people don't complain about Tuesday basketball games. It wouldn't be practical to have a 32 week basketball season.

Edited by kreed5120

I have an hour drive. You couldn't pay me to drive out on a Tuesday in November and get home after midnight. I'd come for a Saturday game. Football games are events, not just a game to show up, watch, and leave. Get there at 9, tailgate for a few hours, go to the game.. Not on a Tuesday night

27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I do agree that people will go that want to go. It still isn't apples to apples trying to compare a sport that plays ~32 regular seasons games to 12 and ask why people don't complain about Tuesday basketball games. It wouldn't be practical to have a 32 week basketball season.

I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that people go to basketball and other sporting events during the week and don't complain about it. I don't know where the length of the season(s) fit into the discussion.

21 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I have an hour drive. You couldn't pay me to drive out on a Tuesday in November and get home after midnight. I'd come for a Saturday game. Football games are events, not just a game to show up, watch, and leave. Get there at 9, tailgate for a few hours, go to the game.. Not on a Tuesday night

Totally fair and to each his own. Apparently the MAC feels that they benefit more from the TV money and exposure than the loss of attendance. I don't go the weekday games generally. Undecided on Kent and OU this season but will probably do it as I consider it worth the inconvenience.

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that people go to basketball and other sporting events during the week and don't complain about it. I don't know where the length of the season(s) fit into the discussion.

Length of the season matters because people understand there has to be a Tuesday game played in basketball. There is no other way of squeezing 32 games into a season. People do complain when Saturday games get moved to Friday. There are plenty of no shows for Tuesday basketball games. A typical Tuesday basketball game might have 2,500 butts in the seats so its not like those are pulling huge crowds. In fact, I'd say many of the people that attend Tuesday basketball games are the same people who attend Tuesday football games. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1