Game 5: Akron @ UMass – 3:30 pm

Steve1981

Meh...it's the age we live in. Players constantly transfer.

He did get a couple minutes of PT, but so do a lot of true freshman now-a-days. They can play 4 games before getting shut down for their redshirt.

We presently have a lot of true freshman logging big minutes in the secondary. If he wasn't, then the writing was probably on the wall that he'd be better off elsewhere.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Meh...it's the age we live in. Players constantly transfer.

He did get a couple minutes of PT, but so do a lot of true freshman now-a-days. They can play 4 games before getting shut down for their redshirt.

We presently have a lot of true freshman logging big minutes in the secondary. If he wasn't, then the writing was probably on the wall that he'd be better off elsewhere.

The only problem with that attitude is we have 78 of 85 scholarships, 3 recent scholarship athletes entered the transfer portal in last 2 weeks making 75.  How many run out of eligibility this year?  You can only bring in 25 in a year.  Can’t catch up if to many leave & really sets the rebuild process back

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

The only problem with that attitude is we have 78 of 85 scholarships, 3 recent scholarship athletes entered the transfer portal in last 2 weeks making 75.  How many run out of eligibility this year?  You can only bring in 25 in a year.  Can’t catch up if to many leave & really sets the rebuild process back

I think we are at 74 right now, but could be off by one. Were at 78. White, Jacobs, Swanson, and I believe Lavelle makes it 74. Lavelle was here in the summer/fall camp as far as I know, but is now at Garden City CC. He definitely was on the roster at some point. I believe he would have been counted in the 78 when that comment was originally made, but I'm unsure. Don't know who else on the attached would be on scholly, as the staff has publicized walk ons getting schollys. Maybe we gave Brandon Lee one. If not, I'd have to imagine he will be on it next year. The other candidate is Romenick, but it doesn't seem common to give shollys to back up ST players. When I did the math, we could afford to lose two players to transfer and be able to get back up to the max next season. As it stands today, we are going to be at least 1 or 2 under again. I agree with you..we can't afford to lose players, at least for a couple years. Would be nice if we could get to the point where the tables are turned and we recommend players go elsewhere for better opportunities to play.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Anyone else looking forward to this stopable force meets a moveable object juggernaut match-up?

Absolutely. It might be our only win this year. I unfortunately might have to watch on replay. Totally will be worth my $12 or whatever it costs to stream.

12 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

This way he can redshirt & join someone in the spring, we could hear several more soon

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

I don't like when you make these posts, because there's always merit to them. Andre Williams in portal.

Edited by LZIp

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

I don't like when you make these posts, because there's always merit to them. Andre Williams in portal.

With all these guys portalizing, why do we need to see them on the field the rest of the way, or will that take care of itself?  Hey, we're not going anywhere this season, we've been clamoring to see a change and see what we've got going forward, so hopefully we won't see #19 or whomever out there.  Not that he was contributing a lot anyway.  I know he appeared to have some talent, but it's not like he's been targeted that much, is there a reason for that?

I see we already have 4 players in the portal. I was curious how that compares to other teams so I gave it a look. The other 11 MAC teams have a combined 4 players in the portal, 2 of which are WMU players. It's still early and a lot can change between now and March/April, but I'll be interested in seeing how our transfers end up comparing to other MAC programs when all is said and done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

With all these guys portalizing, why do we need to see them on the field the rest of the way, or will that take care of itself?  Hey, we're not going anywhere this season, we've been clamoring to see a change and see what we've got going forward, so hopefully we won't see #19 or whomever out there.  Not that he was contributing a lot anyway.  I know he appeared to have some talent, but it's not like he's been targeted that much, is there a reason for that?

Any players in the portal are no longer on the team, so you wont' be seeing them any more unless they decide to remove themselves from the portal and the staff accepts them back. The new regime has been pretty diligent about updating the roster online. You won't see anyone in the portal now listed on the roster except for Williams because he just entered. His name will be removed within a day or two.

• Thanks 1

FYI, Six players suspended and two transfer so it will be a battle of the last one standing. (Includes the kicker, QB West, tight end and starting DT that is indefinite suspended.)

https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-football-suspends-six-players-for-violation-of-team-rules-28887845

Edited by Steve1981