Akron - 33, 18 offensive rebounds, 8 second chance points
Buffalo - 44, 15 offensive rebounds, 13 second chance points

Turnovers
Akron - 18 Turnovers, 10 points off Buffalo Turnovers
Buffalo - 15 Turnovers, 22 points off Akron Turnovers

Points in the Paint
Akron - 16
Buffalo - 46

Wow!  Amazingly and surprisingly close MAC Women's Championship game.  65-60 Bulls, with Dyaisha at 28 with 6+minutes to play.  Ball State really putting up a battle.  I think Jordyn getting the POY really inspired Fair.  She went over the 2000 career point mark today and has a year left.  Cece's record will likely fall!

Edited by Z.I.P.

Former Lady Zip, Ayla Guzzardo, is the head coach at Southeastern Louisiana. They're playing in the Southland Conference Championship game today at 2:00pm on CBS Sports Network against Incarnate Word. 

Good luck Ayla and go Lady Lions!

Edited by mes102
  • Like 2

This Southeastern Louisiana - Incarnate Word conference championship game is crazy. Incarnate Word was up 48-44 with 19 seconds left and Southeastern Louisiana came back to take a 50-48 lead with under 4 seconds left. 

Incarnate Word gets fouled with 0.5 seconds left and makes both free throws to tie the game. 

Overtime. 

CBS Sports Network

Edited by mes102

Tough way for the Guzzardo-led Lady Lions to lose. UIW was 15-21 from the free throw line while SE Louisiana was 11-20. They had chances to put it away at the free throw line and just couldn't do it. Glad to see Guzzardo having success at SE Louisiana though. 

I REALLY hope the women don't have to go to East Lansing or another road P-5 court, as they've done I think every time they've been in the WNIT.  Remember, Toledo won the whole shebang a few years ago, beating USC in the final at Savage before 8000.

20 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I REALLY hope the women don't have to go to East Lansing or another road P-5 court, as they've done I think every time they've been in the WNIT.  Remember, Toledo won the whole shebang a few years ago, beating USC in the final at Savage before 8000.

The WNIT bracket came out and literally shows Akron having no opponent. Looks like they're traveling to Morgantown now.

https://twitter.com/ChrisConfalone/status/1503439842809688067

35 minutes ago, MDZip said:

You're right. Apparently, West Virginia declined the invitation to play in the WNIT and that's why it was blank for a while on the bracket. 

https://twitter.com/wvuwbb/status/1503460683102531588?s=21

It is Wake Forest on Thursday at 7:00pm. 

Edited by mes102

7 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Zips drop season ending WNIT game to Wake Forest 72-59.  20 for Jordyn Dawson in her final game as a Zip.  Hard-fought defensive battle.

It's easy to want more when you lose in the first round, but for a team that was picked to finish last in the MAC - quite the season!

8 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Zips drop season ending WNIT game to Wake Forest 72-59.  20 for Jordyn Dawson in her final game as a Zip.  Hard-fought defensive battle.

Kind of a disappointing loss to a bad ACC team without two of its top players. Good year overall. It will be interesting to see how they do next year without Dawson.

So the Akron men got the 13th seed and the ultimate blue blood opponent in UCLA.

Buffalo women got the 13th seed and the ultimate blue blood opponent in Tennessee.

Hope Bulls and the Rockets in the WNIT can make some noise.  Right now, the Kent women are the only post-season winners from the MAC.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

It will be interesting to see how they do next year without Dawson.

Interesting, indeed.

I can post this now that the season is over. I hope I’m wrong, of course, but without Dawson I expect us to suck.

We’ll see what kind of coaching chops Melissa Jackson really has.