2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

13 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Yeah, we'll probably be like 12th in the pre-season poll!  😉

😂. I don’t really follow women’s b-ball as closely, as the men so I was/am completely unfamiliar with what other teams had coming into the season. But I had seen Dawson play a bunch and I couldn’t believe we were ranked that low with a player like her. She’s an amazing women’s player.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Interesting, indeed.

I can post this now that the season is over. I hope I’m wrong, of course, but without Dawson I expect us to suck.

We’ll see what kind of coaching chops Melissa Jackson really has.

I am concerned that she does not have the coaching chops needed to demand excellence from a team. She is super nice and I am rating for her, but I have my doubts.

Hopefully Lonisia Brewer makes a nice jump in productivity. After seeing her in HS I'm a little disappointed with what she's done thus far on the college level.

I'm excited to see what our two new recruits bring to the table.

Oh, and what a pleasant surprise Bass was this season. She's gonna be a good one!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Hopefully Lonisia Brewer makes a nice jump in productivity. After seeing her in HS I'm a little disappointed with what she's done thus far on the college level.

I'm excited to see what our two new recruits bring to the table.

Oh, and what a pleasant surprise Bass was this season. She's gonna be a good one!

Both recruits have state championship game experience now as Stinson made it to the Ohio Division 2 State Championship game and Miller was on a team that won the Ohio Division 3 State Championship the previous season. I'm definitely interested to see what they will both bring to the program. I think Bass and Stinson will be a great frontcourt for the Lady Zips the next few years.

Edited by mes102

Also, didn't know where to put this but this was brought up in the Villanova - BYU women's game today. Interesting that the MAC has two of the five top scorers in the country since 2019-20 season. 

By the way, Buffalo is playing Tennessee (at Tennessee) at 3:00pm ET on ABC. 

20220319_142028.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I believe Akron has a good chance here. I was told at the tournament that she would be interested in UA so she could be with her boyfriend, who is none other than Ali Ali. Could Melissa Jackson be looking to bring in her own Sincere Carry?

Now there is a nugget. Lets get her!

I think this team will have solid enough post play. Getting any more guards shouldn't hurt! 

All-Ohio teams were just released these past two days. Here is what the incoming two recruits got

Alia Miller
- Division 3 All-Ohio Second Team

Faith Stinson
- Division 2 All-Ohio First Team
- Division 2 Co-Player of the Year 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I believe Akron has a good chance here. I was told at the tournament that she would be interested in UA so she could be with her boyfriend, who is none other than Ali Ali. Could Melissa Jackson be looking to bring in her own Sincere Carry?

She has just one year of eligibility remaining?  I'm sure she can help, but we do already have Zakia Rasheed, another Hoosier waiting to get additional playing time.  Z has tremendous potential and could be an important cog from beyond the 3-point arc next year along with Rachel Martindale, who'll be a senior.

2 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

She has just one year of eligibility remaining?  I'm sure she can help, but we do already have Zakia Rasheed, another Hoosier waiting to get additional playing time.  Z has tremendous potential and could be an important cog from beyond the 3-point arc next year along with Rachel Martindale, who'll be a senior.

The Zips would not qualify for the MAC tournament with Zakia Rasheed starting at guard and floor general at this time. I’m glad she got minutes this year and she did the most with it, but this team will have many struggles with the loss of Dawson. A year of an experienced and established good MAC guard would do wonders for the younger guards on the roster. Rasheed is absolutely the future, just don’t see her being the answer yet. 

1 hour ago, mes102 said:

I think this team will have solid enough post play. Getting any more guards shouldn't hurt! 

All-Ohio teams were just released these past two days. Here is what the incoming two recruits got

Alia Miller
- Division 3 All-Ohio Second Team

Faith Stinson
- Division 2 All-Ohio First Team
- Division 2 Co-Player of the Year 

I have been following HS girls bb recruiting pretty closely the past several months, since the start of school and was disappointed that coach Jackson lost the battle to keep Lanae Riley, the dominant Hoban post player in town.  Akron had been pursuing Riley and was the first to offer when she was a sophomore.  She signed to go away to Middle Tennessee.  However, Faith Stinson is a player very much in the same style -- a wide body who has athletic moves in the paint and can shoot the three as is so important in Jackson's offense.  Melissa has also offered Faith's sister Jamisyn, a sophomore guard (5-9 or 10 now) who could end up being more heavily recruited than her sister.  Also, Melissa had a verbal commitment from a Columbus area junior, I believe it was Dublin Coffman star Jenna Kopyar, however her Twitter no longer shows a commitment -- since her teammate committed to Wisconsin.  Perhaps she's holding out hope to follow her or get a B1G offer.

• Like 1

I don't think a lot of people understand how truly talented the state of Ohio is in high school girls' basketball. Out of the 68 teams in the NCAA tournament, there is Ohio representation on 21 different teams with 41 student-athletes. 19 student-athletes on eight different teams are still playing in the Sweet 16. 

As long as Coach Jackson and company keeps recruiting the way they have been with what Z.I.P. and LoyalZip has stated above, the Lady Zips will be in a good spot going forward. 

Edited by mes102

Buffalo is looking for a new head coach after Felisha Legette-Jack is taking the Syracuse head coaching job (her alma mater). I wonder how many of their returners (including Fair, Woolley, others) follow her to Syracuse or transfer elsewhere. 

https://twitter.com/CuseWBB/status/1507794519080636421

Edited by mes102
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mes102 said:

Buffalo is looking for a new head coach after Felisha Legette-Jack is taking the Syracuse head coaching job (her alma mater). I wonder how many of their returners (including Fair, Woolley, others) follow her to Syracuse or transfer elsewhere. 

https://twitter.com/CuseWBB/status/1507794519080636421

Good for her. Not really a surprise with that job open.She certainly raised the level of the MAC. Hopefully Buffalo will do a better job of replacing her than CMU did replacing their coach. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, LoyalZIP said:

Well, now that Ali is going maybe they'll find a package deal somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Not a big surprise considering the performance of Bass and the two incoming freshman bigs. Her play really leveled off this year. I'm not sure she ever really adjusted offensively to not being the tallest player on the court like she probably was in high school. Good luck to her.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-announces-initial-list-of-players-renouncing-ncaa-legibility-to-opt-in-for-consideration-for-2022-wnba-draft-presented-by-state-farm/

What does it mean that Jordyn's name isn't on this list?  🤔   

I was really expecting to see Dyaisha Fair here.  Erica Johnson of Ohio leaving after junior year...It's a stretch to see her drafted, as her numbers fell off this year after a strong start to her career.  Cece could be a late pick. 

3 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

https://www.lines.com/wnba/drafts/player/cierra-cece-hooks-36140

Considered a likely third rounder.

7 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-announces-initial-list-of-players-renouncing-ncaa-legibility-to-opt-in-for-consideration-for-2022-wnba-draft-presented-by-state-farm/

What does it mean that Jordyn's name isn't on this list?  🤔   

I was really expecting to see Dyaisha Fair here.  Erica Johnson of Ohio leaving after junior year...It's a stretch to see her drafted, as her numbers fell off this year after a strong start to her career.  Cece could be a late pick. 

Dawson in Minneapolis for the ProHoops Combine. 

https://twitter.com/CoachJackson21/status/1509250715222425601?s=20&t=JTxtuEGY4dNulzTxV7rsGQ

• Like 1