Class of '23 Offers & Verbal Commits

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Apparently was a 2 year starter at NMSU, but stats don't really suggest that (who knows if they're accurate). Regardless, seems like a solid get based on experience, he'll have 2 years with us, and Kent, UConn, Ga Southern, and ECU offered him since entering the portal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Apparently was a 2 year starter at NMSU, but stats don't really suggest that (who knows if they're accurate). Regardless, seems like a solid get based on experience, he'll have 2 years with us, and Kent, UConn, Ga Southern, and ECU offered him since entering the portal.

I watched a few NMSU games last year and from what I recall he wasn’t aligned to be a standout on their defense. Lavea was mostly lined up as a 0 or 1 tech and took on a bunch of double teams. NMSU had 3 interior d linemen that were close on snaps. The 4th was their standout (Izaiah Reed). Lavea fires off the ball quickly and does a nice job when taking on double teams. I imagine he’ll compete with Robinson for starting snaps. We needed more quality depth and I think that was accomplished with this addition. This is going to be one physical defense.

On a side note, Kent State is going to be really bad.

Edited by catdaddyp

27 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I watched a few NMSU games last year and from what I recall he wasn’t aligned to be a standout on their defense. Lavea was mostly lined up as a 0 or 1 tech and took on a bunch of double teams. NMSU had 3 interior d linemen that were close on snaps. The 4th was their standout (Izaiah Reed). Lavea fires off the ball quickly and does a nice job when taking on double teams. I imagine he’ll compete with Robinson for starting snaps. We needed more quality depth and I think that was accomplished with this addition. This is going to be one physical defense.

On a side note, Kent State is going to be really bad.

Not at the 0 or 1 tech here, but man! I’ll happily take this kind of play.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Post #1 updated to include OL Keon Kindred.  

@catdaddyp, with the addition of Kindred, how would you speculate our starting OL is filling out? Do you think Kindred could play on IOL position?

Wonder what happened with OL verbal commit Maurice Long & LB verbal commit Joshua Bowen?

I imagine the thinking with Kindred is to eventually have him push for the RT spot, but gotta figure he will be one of the best 5 OL and be slid inside to one of the guard spots this year. If that’s the case we probably see something like this:

LT = Landers

LG = Kindred

C = T. Williams

RG = Davis

RT = N. Williams

Maybe Kindred and Davis would be flipped, depending on what coach JRod wants. The above lineup would certainly rival any other OL in the MAC in regards to athleticism. I’m also curious to see what Ben Frank gives us. It can take lower level OL transfers a while to get acclimated, so who knows? I hoped he would arrive in the spring and get ahead of the curve.

My best guess is Long and Bowen did not qualify. We’ll probably see them take the JUCO route if they choose to continue playing football.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This is the biggest & best OL we've had in a while, no? @catdaddyp

I’m not sure if it’s the biggest, but I’d say easily the most athletic. These guys have size and can move. Little chance we finish last in the league rushing this year. JoeMo is about to put the MAC on notice.

2 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Do we know how many years of eligibility are remaining?

I believe he will technically be a redshirt junior, so 2 years. Maybe 3 as it looks like he missed all of last season with injury, so may be able to get medical redshirt if desired.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

What do you guys think about this hypothetical starting OL?

LT - Kamari Landers

LG - Joshua Blanchard

C - Tyhler Williams

RG - Keylen Davis

RT - Keon Kindred

I don't have an issue with this line, surely it will kick ass. But I do believe Nate Williams will start at RT. He can hold his own with any of these guys yet also provides leadership and heart. He is the soul of the OL and I believe coaches Joe and Rod will want his intangibles.

With that being said I can't wait to see our backs running thru the holes this line will create. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

And another one. I have no idea where we stand with scholarships at this point.

I can't really imagine us adding anyone else at this point for 2023. Good to see the staff agrees with the board though that OL, DB, and DL were the holes. The holes on paper are filled, but lets hope most of these guys pan out into at least solid G5-caliber players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I can't really imagine us adding anyone else at this point for 2023. Good to see the staff agrees with the board though that OL, DB, and DL were the holes. The holes on paper are filled, but lets hope most of these guys pan out into at least solid G5-caliber players.

I came away from the spring game feeling good about the OL and Secondary. These additions will only make us stronger there.

Coach Wart was a little behind the eight ball in recruiting the DL and it’s not ideal taking this many JUCOs, but gotta figure a few of them will pan out. We should have a solid rotation on the interior. I like the potential we have on the edge, just don’t know what’ll we’ll get from our ends. Now to see how quickly coach Wart can develop these guys.

39 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Coach Wart was a little behind the eight ball in recruiting the DL and it’s not ideal taking this many JUCOs, but gotta figure a few of them will pan out. We should have a solid rotation on the interior. I like the potential we have on the edge, just don’t know what’ll we’ll get from our ends. Now to see how quickly coach Wart can develop these guys.

We certainly have numbers at DT & DE

DT:

1. Terray Jones

2. Kiawan Murphy

3. Kyle Thomas

4. Andre Proffitt

5. Devon Robinson

6. Marcus Moore

7. Lama Lavea

8. Tyler Carter

DE:

1. Ryan Johnson

2. Ahmad Rabah

3. Bruno Dall

4. Bennett Adler

5. Kameron Cheatom

6. Antonio Smith

7. CJ Nunnally

8. LaJoshua Jackson

Fingers crossed a few of these guys at each position turn out to be more than just warm bodies.

• Like 1