Portal Offers

18 minutes ago, LZIp said:

If/when Wasel realizes his upside, I'm sure he will get his shot. Him not getting on the field last year tells me he still has some work to do.

Even if he takes a big step forward as early as this year and Finley remains ahead of him, one play can result in him getting his shot and change everything.

The last 10 years have shown how fast the 2nd or 3rd guy can see playing time. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

is nyeem wartman the busiest interviewer in the country lately?

He’s definitely been busy issuing offers. DL and DB are two positions we are under the scholarship limit compared to what we had last year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

What is better, going after power-5 bounce backs or players moving up and out of the JUCO system?

I naturally get more excited with P5s, but reality is there’s success to be had in going both routes. We’ve had All MAC players from both during Joe Mo’s time so far.

• Like 1

I think the P5 guys have more upside, but as @LZIp said, we’ve had success from all levels. For example, George, Adams, and Whigan saw little PT at their previous schools and became All-MAC players. There is also a strong correlation with players coming up from the lower levels and the production they’ve already had. If there hasn’t been much production at a lower level, chances are the same will say true at the FBS level. 

This staff has so many ties to P5 programs it makes sense that’s where the majority of our transfers are going to come from. We’ve also used JUCO to fill holes with more athleticism and mature bodies. While better JUCOs are more available than before, it’s still a crap shoot with what you’re going to get. 

On 1/14/2024 at 3:00 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

CJ Nunnally was JUCO. P5 gets me more excited but sometimes JUCOs are the junk yard dawgs and real players. 

I've mentioned this before and it's been discussed that the staff is trying to find value players with more than 1 year of eligibility. 

The JUCO kids are getting squeezed at the P5 level. There's talent to be found at that level. 

Bill Snyder created a program at K State with JUCO kids. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

JUCO DL. Buffalo already had him in for a visit, so we are behind the 8 ball here.

I guess is a good thing Linguist is bailing then. Honestly smart career move as he’d likely get fired after another disappointing season. Who else from Buffalo is worth poaching?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I guess is a good thing Linguist is bailing then. Honestly smart career move as he’d likely get fired after another disappointing season. Who else from Buffalo is worth poaching?!

Interesting move. South Alabama’s HC is also going to Alabama, but as their DC.

They definitely have some intriguing young players I’d be interested in. Tyler Doty was an All-MAC OL who I believe has one more year.

16 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Interesting move. South Alabama’s HC is also going to Alabama, but as their DC.

They definitely have some intriguing young players I’d be interested in. Tyler Doty was an All-MAC OL who I believe has one more year.

Isn't Lamar Sperling there as well? Might be a real good fit with our new Offensive Coordinator's style.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

I saw an podcast that talked about possible new OC at OSU if they make a change.  

toledos HC was a candidate and surprisingly JoMo was listed as 2nd option.  

really?????

He is widely regarded as an offensive genius. Akron's record under JoeMo is Akron's fault, at least to the national eye. 

• Like 1