Portal Offers

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Not sure if this guy's been mentioned yet, but he's followed on X by JoMo, Tre Bell, Coach Wart, as well as Zips freshman OL Jonas Mann, so I'll assume we've offered him.

He’s a guy that visited a while back and it seemed like we were in the drivers seat before he committed to Monmouth. Will have to see if anything picks up here.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

OL from UCONN.

This kid was at Alabama his first year then transferred to UConn for a year and now is in the portal again. I wish someone could explain how the portal really works. On paper you’re only allowed one transfer until you graduate. There are obviously a lot of exceptions, just wish I could understand how those exceptions are granted. 

17 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

This kid was at Alabama his first year then transferred to UConn for a year and now is in the portal again. I wish someone could explain how the portal really works. On paper you’re only allowed one transfer until you graduate. There are obviously a lot of exceptions, just wish I could understand how those exceptions are granted. 

No telling how the NCAA decides what is worthy of an exception and what isn’t. Sounds like in this case he’ll have to sit a year unless an exception is granted. Here’s a short article on his journey so far.

On 12/10/2023 at 4:09 PM, catdaddyp said:

LB that we were in on late last year before he chose Army. Did not finish out the season with Army.

I suspect this one may already be a done deal.

Edit: 15 mins after I said that Auburn offered. So we’ll see.

Edited by catdaddyp

On 12/1/2023 at 9:53 PM, catdaddyp said:

Freshman RB at SC State. Amassed 809 rushing and 7 TDs for an avg of 7.9 ypc. 10 receptions for 149 yards and 2 TDs. 6’1 215lbs

We’re probably out of the running with Howell as he is now receiving a good bit of P5 (P4?) interest. He’s currently on a visit to South Carolina and the visit is going well. Gamecocks already signed 2 transfer RBs this week, but want to add a 3rd.

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

We’re probably out of the running with Howell as he is now receiving a good bit of P5 (P4?) interest. He’s currently on a visit to South Carolina and the visit is going well. Gamecocks already signed 2 transfer RBs this week, but want to add a 3rd.

SC needing 3 transfer portal RBs sounds a bit overkill or a failure in recruiting somewhere!

26 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Failure in both recruiting and retention. The starting RBs in back to back years have hit the portal.

Not to turn this into a TP/NIL debate, but I could see a system where the NIL is attached to contracts to play for the school for X amount of years. 

Beamer Ball Jr. doesn't have the same magnetism as his dad unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not to turn this into a TP/NIL debate, but I could see a system where the NIL is attached to contracts to play for the school for X amount of years. 

Beamer Ball Jr. doesn't have the same magnetism as his dad unfortunately. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like that happen.

Both portal entries by the RBs were NIL related. Rattler was paid substantially and that spurred Lloyd to look elsewhere in an attempt to find the same kind of money (which didn’t happen). He eventually landed at Southern Cal. Anderson hired an NIL agent who convinced him he can make more money elsewhere and so he entered the portal recently.

NIL is playing such a big role at the P5 level. Schools like South Carolina can match a handful of offers any other school throws out there, but then have to be selective with the rest of the athletes. Beamer adjusted his approach this offseason to, in essence, pay top dollar to a few elite HS recruits and be satisfied with missing out on some other 4 star types that have since landed at NC State, Virginia, etc. Those schools gave those particular athletes their top deals. Beamer has also chosen to focus most of the NIL resources towards retention and the portal.

Edited by catdaddyp

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like that happen.

Both portal entries by the RBs were NIL related. Rattler was paid substantially and that spurred Lloyd to look elsewhere in an attempt to find the same kind of money (which didn’t happen). He eventually landed at Southern Cal. Anderson hired an NIL agent who convinced him he can make more money elsewhere and so he entered the portal recently.

NIL is playing such a big role at the P5 level. Schools like South Carolina can match a handful of offers any other school throws out there, but then have to be selective with the rest of the athletes. Beamer adjusted his approach this offseason to, in essence, pay top dollar to a few elite HS recruits and be satisfied with missing out on some other 4 star types that have since landed at NC State, Virginia, etc. Those schools gave those particular athletes their top deals. Beamer has also chosen to focus most of the NIL resources towards retention and the portal.

These "agents" are absolutely screwing the athletes too. There have been several instances of either corrupt player/agent contracts or poor advice that are destroying these athletes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

I suspect this one may already be a done deal.

Edit: 15 mins after I said that Auburn offered. So we’ll see.

The Zips have a former Army RB on staff, so that, plus the fact that we can essentially guarantee a starting job, gives me a tiny bit of hope we could land him.

• Like 2