2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

2 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

I believe I heard earlier in the season that there were some close ties between the CSU staff and Akron’s?  If that is the case, maybe a little sour taste there as to Lisa’s non-renewal?

An assistant coach on the CSU men's team is married to one of Melissa's assistants. Not sure if that qualifies as close ties in terms of affecting their women's coach taking Zips job. I agree with the comment that it would be kind of a lateral move for him. CSU might also up his pay if they haven't already so they could keep him like they did the first time with Dennis Gates. Just speculation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Possible, but he's been on the HC's staff for a while now and was even on her staff at Indiana State before they both came to Indiana. 

Normally, those assistant coaches rarely leave the HC (Examples - John Groce/Dustin Ford, Geno Auriemma/Chris Dailey)

This was one I wasn't expecting. Coach Schaben has been at Iowa State for so long under the head coach there. Her Twitter handle is even "@LadyCyclones" and bio reads "Love Coaching at Iowa State". 

I put her in the same category as above with Moren/Wierzba, Auriemma/Dailey, and Groce/Ford that I didn't think it was a possibility. 

It is interesting timing as practically the entire Iowa State team is in the transfer portal already. 

Edited by mes102

More insight into Coach Schaben and the staff at Iowa State. I'm still not sure how I feel about this hire, but I'll keep an open mind and give her, her staff, and players time to see if it will work. 

This didn't fit the parameters that I thought would be with the next hire and frankly, it doesn't really fit with the hires Guthrie have made in other sports either.

Odd choice and part of me wonders if she's out the door if Toledo and/or Iowa State has a head coaching opening.

Edited by mes102

5 hours ago, mes102 said:

First feeling is I am impressed with this hire.  I've followed Bill Fenelly's teams since he came here in the late '90s and had Brenda Frese (now Maryland HC) on his staff and one of her sisters as a player. Brenda coached Ball State and Minnesota before MD.  Only concern is...does Latoja Schaben have any head coaching experience. None recently for sure. But a great pedigree and resume. Not sure how it could be instantly panned. She has a big first step ahead in keeping the talent currently on board that is MAC quality, before finding the obviously needed depth to make the team a contender.  Keep an open mind Zips fans!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

First feeling is I am impressed with this hire.  I've followed Bill Fenelly's teams since he came here in the late '90s and had Brenda Frese (now Maryland HC) on his staff and one of her sisters as a player. Brenda coached Ball State and Minnesota before MD.  Only concern is...does Latoja Schaben have any head coaching experience. None recently for sure. But a great pedigree and resume. Not sure how it could be instantly panned. She has a big first step ahead in keeping the talent currently on board that is MAC quality, before finding the obviously needed depth to make the team a contender.  Keep an open mind Zips fans!

The timing of the Iowa State transfers along with this hire is interesting. Here is a tweet with a reply that makes me hopeful. 

If this is the case, I really don’t love it on the surface. I think it’s extremely risky to hire someone who’s never been a head coach before. And while it’s good that she’s had continuity, I think it also hurts that she hasn’t worked for a few different head coaches in her time. With that said, I do like going the P5 route. I hope whoever winds up being the next head coach can bring this program to some relevance and bring some life into the JAR. Akron women’s basketball has been a “friends and family” program for its entire existence. Let’s build a real fan base and have some fun! Go Zips!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

If this is the case, I really don’t love it on the surface. I think it’s extremely risky to hire someone who’s never been a head coach before. And while it’s good that she’s had continuity, I think it also hurts that she hasn’t worked for a few different head coaches in her time. With that said, I do like going the P5 route. I hope whoever winds up being the next head coach can bring this program to some relevance and bring some life into the JAR. Akron women’s basketball has been a “friends and family” program for its entire existence. Let’s build a real fan base and have some fun! Go Zips!

That's why this hire was so unexpected to me. Every head coaching hire so far under Guthrie was someone with head coaching experience, regardless of level (which is why I suggested Stephens, Pickens, and Hans). 

Just now, Hilltopper said:

Don't believe the rumor mills.

Yeah, the "report" (if you can even call it that) left me scratching my head. As did the lack of other info. WBB doesn't have nearly the reporting that MBB has, so I think we should just take a deep breath until we see it on @ZipsWBB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Don't believe the rumor mills.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yeah, the "report" (if you can even call it that) left me scratching my head. As did the lack of other info. WBB doesn't have nearly the reporting that MBB has, so I think we should just take a deep breath until we see it on @ZipsWBB.

It left me scratching my head as well (just doesn't fit with Guthrie's hiring history so far), but that Twitter account has been right a lot so far this off season with coaching moves which is why I posted it assuming it was just needing to finalize. Makes more sense no decision has been made yet. 

Edited by mes102

Just now, LoyalZIP said:

Interesting hire. Again, no previous HC experience which is a concern to me. But he's been around a few different places, which is a good sign. Welcome, coach!

My thoughts too. Still doesn't fit the other hires under Guthrie so it makes me curious what made him stand out from those with HC experience. 

Edited by mes102